Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LW Layout random scatter objects

LW Layout random scatter objects

Hi,

This may sound really noob. I loaded in an object containing over 100 layers (debris pieces) and I'd like to randomly scatter them all along the ground. Is there a quick way to add noise to translation or something similar while having all the objects selected?

Cheers

Can you just use dynamics?

I know there's a way using OD Tools, but Vimeo's search function is so infuriatingly that is basically useless & I can't recall the name. Think it was in the 2015 0r 2018 release. Maybe Oliver or someone who's used it will see your topic & chime in.

Natively though, using the Bullet tools dynamics as mentioned might be your best option.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Yes, you can use bullet and just select all layers, make them rigid bodies, and hit play and let it fall to the ground, maybe add additional force to scatter it.
    I did som stone placement by "pouring or dropping rock boulders from one single layer (in that case use parts and not rigid bodies)
    You do need to freeze the ground or terrain in order for bullet to recognize the surface interaction properly though, if you have dense displacement, you would need to freeze it, you do not necessarely need to freeze it to itīs highest level, you could freeze it by using saved transform and lower the subpatch so you got a lower "dummy" terrain to serve as interaction..while maintaining the original displacement for the visual look in the end.

you could also disperse the debri by using collsion or distrubution objects so the falling debris is directed in to various places with the help of this collision object.

Thanks guys. I was thinking about using dynamics to drop them down, but they all load in with the same 0.0.0 origin/pivot location effectively being inside each other from the start, and I imagine using dynamics they already have to be distributed around to some degree before it works as intended. Yes, I could move all 100 objects around manually to begin with, but I may be in a similar situation next time I wanna load up a collection of debris and it seems like a clunky way to work. Maybe there's a plugin like the Jitter in modeler, only for objects in Layout? I'm on 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by GimbalLock View Post
    Thanks guys. I was thinking about using dynamics to drop them down, but they all load in with the same 0.0.0 origin/pivot location effectively being inside each other from the start, and I imagine using dynamics they already have to be distributed around to some degree before it works as intended. Yes, I could move all 100 objects around manually to begin with, but I may be in a similar situation next time I wanna load up a collection of debris and it seems like a clunky way to work. Maybe there's a plugin like the Jitter in modeler, only for objects in Layout? I'm on 2015.
    There is a way kind of..you explode the layers, but first you need to flatten layers in modeler.

If you can load the object in to modeler, use flatten layers, then go to menu/edit menu and search for explode parts, drag that command to your liking and use that to create a morph, it will explode all none connected segments to a morph, you can then apply that morph to the base by going to map apply morph.
    Now you will have all your layers in exploded in one layer, so you can either use that as a parts object for bullet, or use connected to layers to send them to seperate layers again and use that with bullet as rigid bodies.

This also assumes each individual debri layers are completely welded and connected by themself.
    With this explode tool, you can set explode radius, explode randomness, explode morph name, and random seed.

But as mentioned, you do not want it to be a morph, thus you need to apply the morph to the base.

This will only work if each part is contiguous. You can try moving one object to the side. Say 20 meters or so and then selecting all objects and choosing “distribute along all axes” and it should put them all in a neat little row. Once they are separated you can use dynamics or a procedural in nodal motion to make them irregular.

Oh. 2015. Skip nodal motion. It is a pain prior to 2018 for lots of objects. Distribute then dynamics I think. Is distribute in 2015?
    Last edited by hypersuperduper; 10-30-2019 at 03:01 PM.

Thereīs also a more complex node way, but it means you still have to flatten layers, then send to layout, and use part move, then save fbx and load as seperate layers again.

I don't know if it will suit your needs, but you could use Surface type Instancing on the Ground object. A quick sample scene using just basic geometric primitives in each layer is attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Instancer_9LayerObject_SurfaceInstancing.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	146217

The set up is a little time-consuming with 100 layers but is straightforward.

Select the Ground object, use the Object Properties=>Instancer tab to add an Instancer. You then need to add all the Layers to the Instancer, but I don't think there's an easy way to add them all at once. What I did for the sample scene was select Layer 1 with the Instancer panel open, then use the Edit=>Add From Layout pulldown to add it to the Instancer. Press down arrow to select Layer 2, Add From Layout. And so forth for all 100 layers!

In the Instancer panel, you can then select all the instanced Objects by selecting the first one, holding SHIFT down and selecting the last one. Set the Instancer type to Surface, set the visibility (eyeball column) to Textured, and then choose (for example) 400 instances.

I then set the Rotation of instances to be Random, with a minimum H,P,B of (0,0,0) and a maximum H,P,B of (360,180,90).

mTp

P.S. if you don't want homogeneous placement across the surface, you can use modifier Textures on the Weight of the instances. The Weight determines where the instances will be placed, and you could, for example, use a "debris spew" black-and-white image such as this:

Name:	DebrisSpew_45UR.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	146219

to only place instances on the surface where the image is white. You'd set the default Weight to 0.0, and then put an additive Image Texture on the Weight:

Name:	DebrisSpew_AdditiveImage.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	146220

By using a reference object (in this case I called it CenterNull), you can then move the CenterNull or rotate it to place the debris on the surface where you want it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MonroePoteet; 10-30-2019 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Add "Debris Spew" placement

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    I know there's a way using OD Tools, but Vimeo's search function is so infuriatingly that is basically useless & I can't recall the name. Think it was in the 2015 0r 2018 release. Maybe Oliver or someone who's used it will see your topic & chime in.

Natively though, using the Bullet tools dynamics as mentioned might be your best option.
    you might be talking about this ? https://vimeo.com/247271531
    Oliver

OD Tools Purchase Link: http://origamidigital.com/cart
    Vimeo Channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/850417
    Join ODRoot - https://www.odroot.com

Quote Originally Posted by MonroePoteet View Post
    ...You then need to add all the Layers to the Instancer, but I don't think there's an easy way to add them all at once...
    This is something you can do in DP Instancer,
    the trick is to first select all objects in Scene editor, then CTRL click to add the instancer in the selection,
    so you can open the DP Instancer panel and click "Layout Selection".

Denis.

Thanks guys!
    While admittedly not what I had hoped for (something real quick and easy), I have a lot to learn from your replies. Will try it all out for the sake of learning some new tricks. Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by dpont View Post
    This is something you can do in DP Instancer,
    the trick is to first select all objects in Scene editor, then CTRL click to add the instancer in the selection,
    so you can open the DP Instancer panel and click "Layout Selection".

Denis.
    works well.

not sure how to control all instance sources at once though, like random scale. cant multi select and set all values globally.

Name:	bbb.PNG 
Views:	104 
Size:	612.5 KB 
ID:	146221

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    ...not sure how to control all instance sources at once though, like random scale. cant multi select and set all values globally...
    A node setup has the advantage to be applied to all Referenced Objects,
    Or there's another trick in DP Instancer, add a first Object to be instanced,
    adjust settings and check "Copy Reference Settings" before adding the other objects
    as "Layout Selection".

Denis.

Quote Originally Posted by dpont View Post
    A node setup has the advantage to be applied to all Referenced Objects,
    Or there's another trick in DP Instancer, add a first Object to be instanced,
    adjust settings and check "Copy Reference Settings" before adding the other objects
    as "Layout Selection".

Denis.
    how do you feel about a button that says "push changes to all other references" or (probably better) a checkbox that says "link references"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast