Thread: LW 2019 -Frustration...saving object do not save it properly with new layers.

LW 2019 -Frustration...saving object do not save it properly with new layers.

I may have to update From 2019.1.1 to 2019.1.3

I was messing around with a scene with a daz figure, was about to make a head scalp by copying parts of the head and paste to another layer, and what do you know...synchronize to layout didnīt work (sometimes it does) so I canīt get the darn head scalp in there.
    So I saved it out as the same object, and also tried saving incremental object..and then reload, also replace..but nada, no head scalp layer.

Guess I have to ditch 2019.1.1 ..but always a bit of scare that the 2019 version will introduce other issues.

No shortcut tip to fixing this without closing my scenes since I would like to work with them some time before updating?

I know many of you seem to have had these issues as well, and I reckon the 2019.1.3 release was bug fixes in this area?

Frequenter
    Using 2019.1.3 (just am in an ongoing project and not willing to risk breaking somehing by updating...) and had no issues like that anymore.

Shortcut, hmm, not really a shortcut as it is a step more but:
    Saving it out as a new object and back in layout using Items/Replace (either as "with object", or "with Layer" respectively)?!?

You can install multiple versions of LW 2019 and use each as needed.
    etc

• install the new version
    • copy the config files from the previous version ("C:\users\[you]\.newtek\lightwave\2019.1.1" to "C:\users\[you]\.newtek\lightwave\2019.1.4")
    • rename the copied config filenames from the previous version to the new version ("LWM2019.1.1-64.CFG" to "LWM2019.1.4-64.CFG" )
    • optionally, if you're not using a shared plugin directory, do a find/replace to the paths in "Extension Cache-64"
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    You can install multiple versions of LW 2019 and use each as needed.
    etc

• install the new version
    • copy the config files from the previous version ("C:\users\[you]\.newtek\lightwave\2019.1.1" to "C:\users\[you]\.newtek\lightwave\2019.1.4")
    • rename the copied config filenames from the previous version to the new version ("LWM2019.1.1-64.CFG" to "LWM2019.1.4-64.CFG" )
    • optionally, if you're not using a shared plugin directory, do a find/replace to the paths in "Extension Cache-64"
    I need to delete some older versions, meaning I can not have them lying around due to disk space being occupied, so yes I know I can do this but I am reluctant to have too many installations in there, I need both 32 bit of Lightwave 2015 and 64 bit due to plugins missing in lightwave 2018-219 since it is only now 64 bit, so it is two versions of 2015, and it would be 2019.1.1 and 2019.1.4 1.2 and 1.3 I havenīt even installed but those I can skip.
    And I got even more blender versions installed
    Only one Houdini, only one daz studio. and a few others only one installations.

Guess it becomes that way since those two are the ones I use most.

Right, little point in installing 2019.1.3 at this point, go right to 2019.1.4.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Right, little point in installing 2019.1.3 at this point, go right to 2019.1.4.
    Yes, that I will do...think I need to download it first, I only downloaded 2019.1.3 and was about to install that..I canīt complain on the rate they do bug updates anyway, they do a good job on that it seems.
    Though I got to do maintainance updates of windows, nvidia drivers, installl latest blender version..so I have to squeeze Lightwave in there, maybe tonight or tomorrow.

I will start by deleting my 1.3 download, then download the 1.4..itīs a start
    I reckon when I finally have it done, there will be a new release

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
    Using 2019.1.3 (just am in an ongoing project and not willing to risk breaking somehing by updating...) and had no issues like that anymore.

Shortcut, hmm, not really a shortcut as it is a step more but:
    Saving it out as a new object and back in layout using Items/Replace (either as "with object", or "with Layer" respectively)?!?
    Yes..but I already mentioned I had done that (incremental object anyway) and also a new object, didnīt work.
    I am however shuttin down the actual work for a while now...had so much frustrating fiberfx renderitme waiting..so I will just leave that and install the newer versions, it will not help me with the hair issues, I will have to wait for some miracle cure in Lightwave development, or invest in octane as a hobby user..or use my alternatives in the free software which is so..so much faster with GPU, but even faster in cpu rendering.
    A good thing is that I now how to convert any lightwave spline, guide etc or grown hair in layout..to send to this free software and use it there for rendering if I by any chance would need lw dynamics or lw hair grooming, and vice versa, should I really need to have a render of fiberfx in Lighwave, but want the other softwares dynamics or grown brushed hair..I can go that way too.

They've gotta do something about the glacial volumetric rendering perf, that kind of issue significantly impairs Lightwave's VFX use potential. Even the hit from doing high-quality textured env. fog as volumetric medium is significant, that likely impairs other non-VFX use areas as well.

It'd be interesting to know whether ray-marching is always regenerated from scratch, or what scope and kinds of caching are applied to ray-marching data results? Based on what little is visible via the LWSDK, it doesn't seem like there are caching provisions/mechanisms exposed -- I'd expect there to be at least baseline global flushing events/controls available if there were any sort of ray-march caching occurring.
    Last edited by jwiede; 10-29-2019 at 05:23 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    They've gotta do something about the glacial volumetric rendering perf, that kind of issue significantly impairs Lightwave's VFX use potential. Even the hit from doing high-quality textured env. fog as volumetric medium is significant, that likely impairs other non-VFX use areas as well.

It'd be interesting to know whether ray-marching is always regenerated from scratch, or what scope and kinds of caching are applied to ray-marching data results? Based on what little is visible via the LWSDK, it doesn't seem like there are caching provisions/mechanisms exposed -- I'd expect there to be at least baseline global flushing events/controls available if there were any sort of ray-march caching occurring.
    Will have to look deeper at this, sometimes I feel it being quite okay, and sometimes not...high quality textured fog, not sure..havenīt touched actual texturing that much with the new volumetrics,.
    mostly doing nebs.

2019.1.4 is the first version where Modeler and Layout sync and talk to one another properly. - My experience anyway-
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    2019.1.4 is the first version where Modeler and Layout sync and talk to one another properly. - My experience anyway-
    So you never used 2015 that one worked for me.

Frequenter
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Yes..but I already mentioned I had done that (incremental object anyway) and also a new object, didnīt work. ...
    Thatīs really odd as it would imply that already Modeler - you save out the new object under a new name from Modeler, right? - would ignore your changes when saving. And this then is hardly a synch issue when Layout reverts to the original mesh when replacing. When you do it manually from disc, that is.
    Anyway, maybe itīs just an oddity that is non-existent anymore once you try the most recent LW, so all will be okay then. Still, probably wonīt make much difference regarding your general FFX feedback frustration... :-\

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
    Thatīs really odd as it would imply that already Modeler - you save out the new object under a new name from Modeler, right? - would ignore your changes when saving. And this then is hardly a synch issue when Layout reverts to the original mesh when replacing. When you do it manually from disc, that is.
    Anyway, maybe itīs just an oddity that is non-existent anymore once you try the most recent LW, so all will be okay then. Still, probably wonīt make much difference regarding your general FFX feedback frustration... :-\
    Yep.

You know what, a fresh start with something completely different than my scenfiles with daz figures.

I just tested some simple layer objects, a cube a cone, a sphere, all on seperate layers, then in layout I had one cube, then try to replace that cube with this other multilayer object.
    so in layout..Item replace, but what comes in is just the first layer, it ignores layer 2 and 3 with the cone and the sphere, clearing the scene..and loading this object brings in the layers ok anyway, so it must be something wrong with replace object that has multilayers.

Still havenīt upgraded from 1.1 to 1.4 I have to try and do that today and check if this issue is still there, in such case it must likely is a bug in the item replace command.

Hey, Cool. I dont think the issue is with the lightwave recent version. Because the same i had faced many times that lightwave scene file doesnt synchronize well. This has many reason. May be same multiple similar model without your knowledge in the folder or any software update while you attempt to save. or if you renamed it. mutiple lightwave not unsintalled. I hope you will fix the issue. Check the core of the problem. Sometimes if VPR mode cause model to crash.