Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Any hint of anew LW coming in 2020?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Any hint of anew LW coming in 2020?

I was wondering if there have been any rumblings regarding a new LW for 2020? Speculation welcome.

Oh no it has begun!

I can't imagine anything radical. Probably just more of maintenance release with a few bells and whistles. Maybe a 3rd party renderer.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Just more of the same. I hope they revamp Modeler. Full GPU rendering would be great because Lightwave is short on 3rd party support there. I'd love for them to further develop their cel-shading nodes. A revamp of their mo-cap plugin would rely on third party hardware that they have no control over.
    System:

i7-8086K / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM

Sorry if I mentioned it, but i was just wondering when I'm going to need to save up my sheckles [money]! Delete the thread if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCurtis View Post
    Sorry if I mentioned it, but i was just wondering when I'm going to need to save up my sheckles [money]! Delete the thread if you wish.
    Start saving now. Upgrades for people with the current version have been $395.00. This way, you won't have to take a hit when you KNOW it'll be VERY inconvenient.

Safe to assume they are aiming for a consistent yearly release.

If they can get a GPU rendering solution in place for 2020, I would be thrilled. Honestly, speed is my only real barrier right now when using Lightwave.

Quote Originally Posted by RPSchmidt View Post
    If they can get a GPU rendering solution in place for 2020, I would be thrilled. Honestly, speed is my only real barrier right now when using Lightwave.
    Heck, I would be happy if I could just use Interpolated GI on high resolution renderings without LW crashing.
    The renderer is gorgeous, but it's finicky, noisy and not the speediest thing around. Interpolated GI helps reduce the noise but if you can't render at high resolutions what good is it.
    Last edited by Tim Parsons; 10-28-2019 at 10:11 AM.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Agreed. Getting a sequenced rendered without grain or super high render times using subsurface can be frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie2Strokes View Post
    Just more of the same. I hope they...
    If they can get....
    Quote Originally Posted by OFF View Post
    GPU render, Hair improvement, dynamics improvement, sculpting tools, more character animation tools, modeler deep upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Gpu rendering...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Heck, I would be happy if I could just ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Ritchie View Post
    I still would love instance painting...
    Are we submitting these as feature requests through the best communication system or are we just pointlessly tossing coins into the wishing well of this forum?

https://www.lightwave3d.com/account/report/submit/
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Are we submitting these as feature requests through the best communication system or are we just pointlessly tossing coins into the wishing well of this forum?

https://www.lightwave3d.com/account/report/submit/
    Personally can't speak for anything but GPU rendering. It's been submitted.

GPU render, Hair improvement, dynamics improvement, sculpting tools, more character animation tools, modeler deep upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by OFF View Post
    Hahaha, really?? Even just one of those, GPU rendering, took Arnold years to get right, and still it's not perfect.

Just trying to be realistic I guess... I wouldn't hold your breath for a GPU renderer. If you're really looking for one, go 3rd party. The Octane implementation in LightWave is one of the best.
    Last edited by lardbros; 10-29-2019 at 10:55 AM.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    Hahaha, really?? Even just one of those, GPU rendering, took Arnold years to get right, and still it's not perfect.

Just trying to be realistic I guess... I wouldn't hold your breath for a GPU renderer. If you're really looking for one, go 3rd party. The Octane implementation in LightWave is one of the best.

Wow..you are so easy to entertain and amuse if I look at your reaction...and I didnīt even put any effort in to that

I never said I am expecting all those enhancement in the next release, I put it up as a list of my priority for what I need..of course it will take time.
    Yes octane may be an option, but too costly when I may use another free platform for the basics anyway...thus a native solution is in my opinion a must, or I fear they will loose a lot of customers drasticly in a near future.
    Also to keep in mind, a GPU solution that works with current standard and pbr materials and not special dedicated ones like octane.

Sculpting has been on topic for many many years ..and was introduced a tiny bit with Core, only to fall in oblivion til we got 3rd powers tool, which isnīt on the same level as blender sculpting, and so we got layout sculpting with metamorphic..which is more a tool for adjusting morphs in a timeline, though it can be used to weight paint and sculpting terrain, but itīs horrible slow with denser meshes compared to blender sculpting, and unlike blender ..you can not add new geometry or reduce geometry like dynatopo in blender.

Weight emission and paint in blender ..works fine and includes particle emission , fluid emission , hair emission...so nicely intergrated there.

So yeah, one can really wonder why I still upgraded to Lightwave 2019 as a hobbyist as well, doesnīt make much sense except for I still love many parts of lightwave, mainly the Layout stage, modeling focus, new volumetrics to some degree..and all the wonderful large procedurals we got available...which is something I miss in blender.

But for me, the prio is..

1. Faster renderer, cpu or gpu.
    2. Faster fiber render tools.
    3. Modeling tools in layout. and consequently that should yield more parametric tools, text creation..direct drawing of spline paths in layout etc.
    4. Better sculpting, on denser meshes, dynatopo tools to add geometry. layout
    5. weight paint and weight emission functionality in layout for particles as well as fluids.
    6. enhance the fluids (vdb) currently very slow..hard to access and have a good UX, opengl presentation is horrible today.
    7. UI enhancements
    8. Undo enhancements.
    9. particle fx enhancements.
    10. dynamics enhancements of forces, the bullet forces need to affect fluids, and particles.

So there you go...there you got a little more to laugh at and to be entertained even more tonight you can imagine whatever time range you see fit for this be be done...whatever amuses you .

realisticly thinking..is just guessing since I do not know about the code or development and what they actually are working on..which could be something completely different..but maybe nr 2,5, 7 ...isnīt to bad to wish for included in the next release.

Gpu rendering with all surfacing techniques remaining intact.
    Modeler becoming modern with some nodal abilities for building things.
    More modeling capabilities in layout.
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast