Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Any hint of anew LW coming in 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    I can also add, the new LightWave render engine is great for Cartoon animations in the style of "The Grinch"
    (sorry, can't show examples, personal work)

LW needs a render speed-up, but LightForge can help in some cases.
    https://render.lightforge.cc

the DPont intel denoiser also helped, cutting rendertime (noise) 15-20% for animation.
    not sure if that works on a render farm, but then there is the regular DPont Denoiser node.
    (or adding DPont intel denoiser in post somehow)
    a Temporal video denoiser (DaVinci Resolve) should be added of course.

the easiest way perhaps for NT to cut future rendertime would be to improve the AA algorithm.

Cel shaded animations have never been something of my interest, though I recognize itīs value for many others of course, but for me those kind of features is meaningless,(until the day I may stumble upon that need ) who knows.

As for Lightforge, donīt think itīs gonna be anything for me..especially not in my current status of hobby artist..for me the actual speed in rendering is a question for when I need instant feedback mostly, such as not having to wait several minutes until fiberfx starts to materialize to show how it look like, only to find out that I need to change it and wait again, that is why I sort of have given up on fiberfx and use something else for those cases, maybe with enhancements ..or when MR dollar visits so I can get octane.
    As I understand it, Lightforge only takes care of rendering scenes over the cloud, but not something you could employ like a virtual VPR online...right?

Cel shaded animations
    "The Grinch" = not cel shaded  

As for Lightforge, donīt think itīs gonna be anything for me..especially not in my current status of hobby artist..
    yep, that's why i hope for faster renders. either by faster overall render, faster AA, or GPU support.
    and yes, Lightforge = a renderfarm.
    Last edited by erikals; 11-12-2019 at 03:24 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    what it also needs is a window frame work for the nodal editor to always be open, like an option to choose nodal editor in the viewports, like schematics, but nodes instead
    Trickier due to LW's "silos" for nodes, but agreed that's a good point: If nodes are where all the detailed workflows will reside, then there's no good reason the node editor should ever be "closed"/hidden. All closing/hiding the node editor really achieves is to needlessly conceal relationships.

Speaking of node-related UI/UX issues, take a look at surfaces: There's no longer any clear, obvious indication whether anything of interest is actually IN a given surface's node graph, the only way to know is to open it and look. That's just poor UI/UX (filed as bug, turned into LWF-2716).
    Last edited by jwiede; 11-12-2019 at 05:11 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

There's no longer any clear, obvious indication whether anything of interest is actually IN a given surface's node graph
    +5  

Perhaps they meant...

John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

yes/no, I was the OP on that, so definitely meant >

I am not sure how an always open node editor would work in lw considering that the node network you want to view is not related necessarily to item selection. For example You can have a displacement node editor open for an object and need to select other objects and stuff in the main window Like if you are using a null object as controller for a displacement. You can also have multiple node networks connected to an object, even of the same type. How would an always open node editor know which network to show? You would need like a separate node network selector or something. Perhaps the node editor could work like the graph editor does where you can chose to have the channels shown in the bin follow item selection or not. But instead of a Channel bin you have a node network bin that contains all the networks connected to that bin. That may just complicate things though. Right now it is at least simple: open network, edit network, close network. Although they really should at the very least label the node editor window so you can see which network you are editing.

It would definitely be nice to have some sort of easy way to see dependencies however. Like a reference graph or something that could track any instance that any object was referenced by anything else, not just nodes, but any of the myriad ways lightwave can reference items. And then be able to jump directly to the any modifier/ node network/ expression/ constraint directly from there.

look at unity with multiple editors and pinning

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    look at unity with multiple editors and pinning
    It’s not great there tbh. By in large the unity interface is great, probably better than Lightwave But pinning sorta is a less than ideal solution to the inherent problem I addressed above, If by pinning you mean locking the properties window to one object while selecting another. In The case of lightwave the node editor displays the same thing regardless of what you select and you have to close it and reopen it to display and other network. Two clicks. in unity you have to pin the window tO NOT open another properties window do that and unpin it when you are done. Same number of clicks however I would argue worse I Unity because I can’t count the number of times that I have forgotten to pin the window and then selectED something else only to remember that I forgot to pin and then had to go back and do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    I am not sure how an always open node editor would work in lw considering that the node network you want to view is not related necessarily to item selection. For example You can have a displacement node editor open for an object and need to select other objects and stuff in the main window Like if you are using a null object as controller for a displacement. You can also have multiple node networks connected to an object, even of the same type. How would an always open node editor know which network to show? You would need like a separate node network selector or something. Perhaps the node editor could work like the graph editor does where you can chose to have the channels shown in the bin follow item selection or not. But instead of a Channel bin you have a node network bin that contains all the networks connected to that bin. That may just complicate things though. Right now it is at least simple: open network, edit network, close network. Although they really should at the very least label the node editor window so you can see which network you are editing.

It would definitely be nice to have some sort of easy way to see dependencies however. Like a reference graph or something that could track any instance that any object was referenced by anything else, not just nodes, but any of the myriad ways lightwave can reference items. And then be able to jump directly to the any modifier/ node network/ expression/ constraint directly from there.
    Perhaps the same as blender, if you stand on the item in selection, it will show either what you choose to work with, surface or object etc, and also the option to choose world for environment texturing, in the window you have set as node editor or node shader as it now is called in 2.8, you also have those icons to click on to show the proper node network you need.

Some lightwave developers should always use and keep track on how and what blender does, it will not cost them any additional cost for the software to speak of, and then reflect on how can we do this just as good or better..if it fitīs within their agenda that is.

maybe one panel that changes depending on whats selected and if you press the “p” key you get static properties?

xsi interface was ok. what about that?

- - - Updated - - -

maybe one panel that changes depending on whats selected and if you press the “p” key you get static properties?

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I donīt think that in specific will sort the item per type attribute, and it also adds another level of button click requirement, in my opinion, just do it as blender does it, with icons for either displacement, object properties, surface, environment, particle, dynamics etc...or add in text labels to fit in with the rest of the LW UI:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	showcase.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	170.4 KB 
ID:	146276

Additional notes regardin UI..
    For me, neither blender or lightwave UI gives me an ideal setup, with blender I constantly have to wrestle with dragging window sizing, and scrolling, with Lightwave I constantly have to wrestle closing and moving window modules, though in General the lightwave approach keeps my larger workspace for the scene more intact than what blender does, thus ideally I would prefer a simple way of docking the panels on top over each other and expand when needed, just as I can do in indesign, that is ideal for me.

And side note (not lightwave)..but what to be careful about designing UI...and if the lightwave team ever get the idea to try and copy blender UI..
    Some things I donīt like in the newer blender UI for 2.8, is the vertical panel of the properties now, I prefered it going from left to right, that is the order how I read things and not from up and down, so the previous method was easier on the kinematic and postion memory, not sure if I can change that in blender, maybe a habit thing..we do of course have all our buttons in lightwave left panels (or right) running verticaly..but this are textlabels so that makes it easier to find them by actually reading it (a must) while blenders are intially just icon until hovering, but you do not want to wait on hover popup text..thus actually remebering the position of the icons helps.

yep, that's why i hope for faster renders. either by faster overall render, faster AA, or GPU support.
    and yes, Lightforge = a renderfarm.
    It's more than just that.

WAY more...It's part of what we are missing that I could build and deploy with my own and some back resources. Imagine what I could do with the actual product, or a small component of it, R&D.
    I know for a fact I can do more business development for the product and do all the time that would undo much of the damage done.

Cost?
    Next to zero?
    R0I?
    I only do stuff that has a factor of 1000s for ROI. Why? because I have always had to do stuff on micro or no budgets or blow bidets (non-left) and on the hook no matter, to deliver.

So, can I please take a crack at it?

Also, what you guys are after is something we discussed YEARS AND YEARS ago for a new feature in LW.

Scene construction done with nodes including LFS operations, assemblies, new scene file format, new way to break down and build up renders and properties, render for various lights, buffers, geometry flags, all tools basically, and all tools to can be made to connect to anything else or bridged. otherwise, they are simply icons that if clicked take oyu tot he legacy tool in Layout for UI. But the data is there and be routed or altered in the nodal flow.

Then, it would put your composite format file together as well. As you set it up in Layout for Render Breakout, it would spit out a Fusion or Nuke or AE file to bring all back together automatically with all your filters and effects as done in LW , replicated in that application.

Oh yeah. And it would be able to read and write anything. So it becomes the "master scene builder" in any studio or shop because... you render with it too and it would kick *** with some changes.... and I mean small micro detail changes (and a few silly feature roll backs)..

So... With that said, if i did all that and had built in tracking, GPU render engine that was ported to other application, CPU engine ported to other applications (and completely interchangeable), a true Linux version of LWSN (later with a GUI verson for the entire product).
    Proper adjustments made to the layout menus so they don't look jr mint. like they have since.. what? 8.0?
    Rollback modeler to 8.0 and build forward undoing the damage done to it for a decade by a now gone developer, build for 64bit, not developed in a black box, handing it over to development by 3rd party devs to bring it up to snuff for their tools and other stuff... And...

Where does that get us?
    DJ Lithium | KAT! =^..^=

Black Tiger Recordings
    http://www.blacktigerrecordings.com
    Founder and Citizen of Liberty3d.com
    www.liberty3d.com

It gets us somewhat back in the game... but what else?
    DJ Lithium | KAT! =^..^=

Black Tiger Recordings
    http://www.blacktigerrecordings.com
    Founder and Citizen of Liberty3d.com
    www.liberty3d.com

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Additional notes regardin UI..
    For me, neither blender or lightwave UI gives me an ideal setup...
    Well both LW and Blender are no benchmark for UI design. If you want a fully customizable UI that allows Icons and/or Text, Vertical and Horizontal toolbars with as many rows and varying icon sizes you want, state of the art Node editor, flexible docking and locking of panels etc. there is such a 3D software (I guess you know which one from my previous posts).

But that exceptional UI and ease of use comes at a price of course that most LW and Blender users are not willing to pay.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast