Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Any hint of anew LW coming in 2020?

I think the only other thing I would personally like to see (besides GPU rendering) would be an intelligent effort to combine related panels that are, right now, separate.

I'd like to see the Surface Editor become a one-stop shop panel where I can click on a surface and a node flyout opens automatically if there any nodes present.

If a node has an image, the image editor flyout opens automatically when I click on that node showing the image settings AND the image editor settings. Same if a node has a procedural.

I want to be able to look at the surface name and see its settings, nodes, and image / procedural settings in a linear fashion that lets me jump from one setting to the other while viewing all of their relationships and the effect on the surface, all in one large panel.

Sure, you can open several panels at once, but then you are moving the panels when not in use, shifting them around, etc. I also have a bad habit of closing panels when I'm not actively using them because I want to focus on something else and I hate cluttered, disconnected stuff all over the screen. My personal bad habit, I know... but if it was only one large panel that was context-sensitive, I would be more likely to leave it open all the time.

I think I would also like to see Camera and Lighting settings in one panel as well, since they are closely interrelated.

Of course, the ability to dock panels to each other would be a huge benefit for customizing the workspace.

Even if I only had the Surface Editor solution, I think that would shave precious minutes off of my work every day.

My request would be simple, please show Modeler some attention. There are so many things that would be nice to have in there and several have been mentioned but I'll just leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Daphne View Post
    My request would be simple, please show Modeler some attention. There are so many things that would be nice to have in there and several have been mentioned but I'll just leave it at that.
    Exactly, up to date UV tools, UV non destructive tools, edit vertex normals possibility, Modeler FBX importer/exporter respect normals and hierarchy, Layout FBX exporter not adding prefix, nice snapping and retopology tools.
    Last edited by MarcusM; 11-09-2019 at 05:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daphne View Post
    Personally I feel that Layout modeling creation and capabilies is more important than adressing shortcomings in modeler, I am not excluding enhancements on that part, but I feel it is more important to finally taking a step to show other users it is on track and not being the very odd application that can not perform task most other 3d apps can do.

I really would like to see animatable curves over time without having to use weightmap tricks, and also the ability to create and move points and draw splines directly in layout, and also animated text tools procedurally, bevel along path animation etc.

So nice to just use the free tools inkscape and drawing or importing artwork sending to blender and just enter the bevel start and timeline with keyframes, and voila animated shapes in a no brainer, for lightwave ..they could try and start with svg import for both modeler and layout, but it would require a little more to get it animatable.

That said, I am guessing and suspecting we will not see it happening for years unfortunately, but it is just a gut feeling I have.

yeah layout needs the work more than modeller imho

yeah layout needs the work more than modeller imho
    ...wouldn't say that, Modeler hasn't been touch in 15 years. (Basically)
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

What do you mean by animatable curves?

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Personally I feel that Layout modeling creation and capabilies is more important than adressing shortcomings in modeler, I am not excluding enhancements on that part, but I feel it is more important to finally taking a step to show other users it is on track and not being the very odd application that can not perform task most other 3d apps can do.

I really would like to see animatable curves over time without having to use weightmap tricks, and also the ability to create and move points and draw splines directly in layout, and also animated text tools procedurally, bevel along path animation
    Yes agree, modeling must be implemented in Layout, I don't see how non-destructive, parametric and animated modeling can work with the app split. Also modeling within the scene with snapping, cloning, modifiers and alignment tools can be very helpful.

Animated splines and non-destructive text is possible in Layout with db&w tools and Trueart Text. Far behind other implementations but at least some 3rd party plugins make up missing stuff in LW native. Also 3rd Power tools for Layout like PaintWeigths are essential along with the various OD tools.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

...wouldn't say that, Modeler hasn't been touch in 15 years. (Basically)
    That's why instead of trying to catch up 15 years, these modeling features could be done right in Layout instead with having all the advantages that come along with that.

if so, i'm all for it.  
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    What do you mean by animatable curves?
    If I import svg format from inkscape, curves or clipart..one opened in blender they are working directly as curves..that is, they are not meshed yet..but you can profile extrude or bevel them, and within the bevel buttons.. you can then just set a keyframe on start and end and move the timeline and the curve will "grow accordingly" same if you use any of the native curves, profile paths etc in blender..so it is about growing the curve from itīs start point to end point, you may get away with applying weight map and grow that with fertilizer, or dp growth or dp shifter..but it is a lot more work to do ..and that is not all, you can not bevel it either initially as a curve in layout, you obviously need to profile it with railextrude or other tube tools, and once that is done ..you can not modifiy the initial path it is built on, in blender it is still active and you can change both path spline/curve at any time in resolution, changing curve shape, changing curve profiles...all this is non destructable and you do it with very few clicks as opposed to in Lightwave.

all this can be done in blender as mentioned with the svg format made in inkscape, or all other curve types..it has a lot of interesting profile shapes to tweak.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post

Animated splines and non-destructive text is possible in Layout with db&w tools and Trueart Text. Far behind other implementations but at least some 3rd party plugins make up missing stuff in LW native. Also 3rd Power tools for Layout like PaintWeigths are essential along with the various OD tools.

I havenīt tried those..it means I have to buy them, but I really do not see the point of it ...for me to buy either db&w tools and/or truart text, when I can do this completely free in another free software, in such case it arrives to native lightwave, that would still mean I buy for the whole complete package, and I expect nothing less really if other free alternatives are available natively in the software we speak of.

And adding another costly 3rd powers tool, weight paint...for something that I believe is a must natively, again...I can weight paint for free in my free software..and not only that, it works with my free fluids tools as well for emission of fluids, and it also works with particle emission..nothing of that is possible today with Lightwave.

What currently keeps me liking lightwave..is the vast amount of procedural textures which I do not see the smoke of in my "free software" and of course some of the workflows with surfacing and displacing, and Ik booster and bullet bone dynamics and the volumetric items, but the list is getting thinner.

What currently keeps me liking lightwave..is the vast amount of procedural textures which I do not see the smoke of in my "free software"
    You might like these:
    https://blenderartists.org/t/my-100-...cluded/1113432
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

If I import svg format from inkscape, curves or clipart..one opened in blender they are working directly as curves..that is, they are not meshed yet..but you can profile extrude or bevel them, and within the bevel buttons.. you can then just set a keyframe on start and end and move the timeline and the curve will "grow accordingly" same if you use any of the native curves, profile paths etc in blender..so it is about growing the curve from itīs start point to end point, you may get away with applying weight map and grow that with fertilizer, or dp growth or dp shifter..but it is a lot more work to do ..and that is not all, you can not bevel it either initially as a curve in layout, you obviously need to profile it with railextrude or other tube tools, and once that is done you can not modifiy the initial path it is built on, in blender it is still active and you can change both path spline/curve at any time in resolution, changing curve shape, changing curve profiles...all this is non destructable and you do it with very few clicks as opposed to in Lightwave.

all this can be done in blender as mentioned with the svg format made in inkscape, or all other curve types..it has a lot of interesting profile shapes to tweak.
    Ok. I understand what you mean. That said, It is not particularly difficult to extend a tube or profiled spline in layout using a nodal displacement so long as the profile maintains a constant number of points and the point order is correct, and once you have built that displacement once you can re-apply it very easily. I am no going to argue that this is better than native spline drawing and the usual suite of tools you get with that, but it isn’t super bad in lightwave if you are willing to dive into node land. You don’t have to resort to weight map trickery or plugins to grow a poly chain or path-extruded profile. This sort of thing is not hard just so long as you have a reasonable point order (which modelers extrude tools will produce). The one potential advantage to this is that it is a regular old displacement which means it can be saved as a pointcache and exported to other apps or game engines. the question is if the animated growing splines blender creates can be exported the same way or if they are dependent on blender to work.
    https://youtu.be/uw-OQx9rP_c This old 2018 test video is basically the same principle and is all native with no weight maps. Just one nodal displacement. the mesh can be swapped out with any sort of extruded profile with minimal fuss. Just input the number of points in the profile and the total number of points in the mesh and it works. This speaks to the point I had with wanting newtek to make it easier and more natural to share compound nodes. If there was some sort of infrastructure for it I would gladly upload this solution as a nice and clean little compound node with labeled inputs and anyone could just grab it, use it or make it better. Newtek made a single seemingly minor change in lw2018 that I feel was crucial in making it very easy to make compounds that never need to be opened. They added an item ID node. it is such a simple little thing but it means that now you can simply plug in a controller null into the compound node. Prior to that you would have to open them up find the item info nodes and change the item. It was all hidden and hard to read. Now you Can put a really complex nodal network into a compound that reads the info from multiple objects and never ever need to open them up. They are SOOO close to having support for super-simple plug and play compound nodes, which I feel would mitigate so many of lightwaves shortcomings.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    Thanks, I will take a look at that...there are two-three things concerning me though.

1. I have tested multinoise setups from a cloud volume setup..not these above, and it brings on much slower rendering of volumetrics somehow, once I deleted a couple of nodes, it became faster to render, so I am not a fan of multinodes that seem to affect render times, or be evaluated in a slow pace.

2. using multinodes/fractals..will only make it much much harder to understand and ultimately tweak artistcly with a decent control, I rather prefer special dedicated fractals, that is why I love dpontīs weather, gardener and some other fractals, I know what each frequence, lacunarity, increase detail does to the general look of the texture, and how they are working in relation to eachother.

3. Dpontīs fractals in rman collection is specially constructed for a specific purpose, multinodes/fractals are not and will take a lot of tweaking to get right, I suppose once you get what you want..you can save out and rename inputs and channels so you have made your own custom ones, but it will still take a lot of work.

I wish Dpont could port his Rman collection To blender, seem to be he could benefit a lot from the amount of donations with a much larger user base, if he have the skills to do so...and interest.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast