Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any hint of anew LW coming in 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Come on guys lets get real - all they need to do is get Modeler to NOT croak with dense meshes and it will be a worthy upgrade.
    Everyone has their own opinion of what is more important, I wouldnīt say now to your desired prio list, but for me.

GPU rendering, Improved fiberfx render, and finally, modeling tools for creating and extending, beveling, moving points, copy and paste geometry..IN LAYOUT, and better glossy reflections without noise.
    Those are my prios,
    Then comes continued enhanced VDB fluids..(faster and better openGL presentation) and Weight paint tools and emission in layout.
    And then we have...(Iīll stop here for now)

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    I agree with you, for me it feels like they are messing up some of the good UI workflow...they need to fix that.
    when you click on a node material, you will not get the settings to the right of the main node panel, if you have that expanded to show such settings, you have to double click on it. (unless fixed from 2019.1.1 to 2019.1.3?)
    I don't know but tbh I've stuck with 2015 atm cos of this and a few other things in the UI, modeller plugins, render speed and my layout dbw plugins. I have 2019.1.4 setup but not using it much.

oh yeah, the surface editor. don't like the new list. its a pain to use, takes up too much space and has no edit by scene. I've reported that its much better in 2015 but don't know if it will be corrected.

Same for modellers layers list.. LW UX and speed is dropping off with every new release. The new renderer is dog slow so the UI and workflows need to compensate, a lot.
    Last edited by gar26lw; 10-29-2019 at 12:02 AM.

2019 ux is faster than 2018, but could be much better, and is in some respects still slower than 2015. I Don’t personally miss edit material by scene, because that had some serious issues (materials being accidental overwritten when adding objects to scene with same material names for example) but the copy/ paste-into workflow is not great, even if it is less prone to error than edit by scene and better than copy paste in 2015. Multi-editing needs major improvement. Either through true material instancing or just the ability to edit multiple materials at once. (Same thing for displacements, modifiers etc..) quite simply, if I am using identical settings on multiple items don’t force me to edit one and then copy paste to the others.

Also, allow us to expose node inputs in an external panel. Make a master panel and per object/material panels. I personally feel that nodes are so much more powerful than the alternatives that Newtek is right to go all-in on nodes, but don’t make me have to dig into a node network just to change a variable. Right now your options for having easily accessible nodal inputs are littering your scene with controller nulls and using item info nodes or adding envelopes to everything and using the graph editor. both of which are completely unnecessary complications.

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    2019 ux is faster than 2018, but could be much better, and is in some respects still slower than 2015. I Don’t personally miss edit material by scene, because that had some serious issues (materials being accidental overwritten when adding objects to scene with same material names for example)
    the search feature is good. materials being overwritten with the scene edit is the intended workflow

Multi-editing needs major improvement. Either through true material instancing or just the ability to edit multiple materials at once. (Same thing for displacements, modifiers etc..) quite simply, if I am using identical settings on multiple items don’t force me to edit one and then copy paste to the others.
    yeah multi editing really needs some work there. spot on!

Also, allow us to expose node inputs in an external panel. Make a master panel and per object/material panels. I personally feel that nodes are so much more powerful than the alternatives that Newtek is right to go all-in on nodes, but don’t make me have to dig into a node network just to change a variable. Right now your options for having easily accessible nodal inputs are littering your scene with controller nulls and using item info nodes or adding envelopes to everything and using the graph editor. both of which are completely unnecessary complications.
    a very good point

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    when you click on a node material, you will not get the settings to the right of the main node panel, if you have that expanded to show such settings, you have to double click on it. (unless fixed from 2019.1.1 to 2019.1.3?)
    Yeah - I never noticed that as I usually have the panels float. Adding alt-ctrl left click for zooming however was a godsend for me. Should be part of the image viewer too.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Yeah - I never noticed that as I usually have the panels float. Adding alt-ctrl left click for zooming however was a godsend for me. Should be part of the image viewer too.
    To me...I can not adjust to using Alt-ctrl left clicking, it brings on strain to my fingers working that way, I dislike it and would prefer a simple middle mouse scroll, just the way blender do it..and while they are at it, donīt stop the zoom level at the current state..the nodes need to be seen much closer zoomed up, both blender and houdini seem to use the same approach.

For lightwave the mouse scroll is pan is just scrolling up and down which makes no sense to me, not sure if I can adjust that now with lightwave 2019.1.3 enhancements?

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    I don't know but tbh I've stuck with 2015 atm cos of this and a few other things in the UI, modeller plugins, render speed and my layout dbw plugins. I have 2019.1.4 setup but not using it much.

oh yeah, the surface editor. don't like the new list. its a pain to use, takes up too much space and has no edit by scene. I've reported that its much better in 2015 but don't know if it will be corrected.

Same for modellers layers list.. LW UX and speed is dropping off with every new release. The new renderer is dog slow so the UI and workflows need to compensate, a lot.
    I agree to some extent, was working a bit with fiberfx again last night, and I am more and more convinced that I just can not work with it at this stage, due to the horrible long rendertimes needed..when I know I can tweak hair much faster in othr software, that means...any scene I would need that requires hair will be out of the question for me, a shame since I like the lights and pbr materials to some degree, at leas when working with eye refraction and reflection and glossy reflections on pbr skin..I feel those partīs to be easer to setup and get right in Lightwave than in my other mixer software, then again it may just need a bit more adjusting to that programs pbr materials.

And quite a few workflow changes in UI that slows down the UX experience and makes it a bit more tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by OFF View Post
    GPU render, Hair improvement, dynamics improvement, sculpting tools, more character animation tools, modeler deep upgrade.
    Hahaha, really?? Even just one of those, GPU rendering, took Arnold years to get right, and still it's not perfect.

Just trying to be realistic I guess... I wouldn't hold your breath for a GPU renderer. If you're really looking for one, go 3rd party. The Octane implementation in LightWave is one of the best.
    Last edited by lardbros; 10-29-2019 at 10:55 AM.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    Hahaha, really?? Even just one of those, GPU rendering, took Arnold years to get right, and still it's not perfect.

Just trying to be realistic I guess... I wouldn't hold your breath for a GPU renderer. If you're really looking for one, go 3rd party. The Octane implementation in LightWave is one of the best.

Wow..you are so easy to entertain and amuse if I look at your reaction...and I didnīt even put any effort in to that

I never said I am expecting all those enhancement in the next release, I put it up as a list of my priority for what I need..of course it will take time.
    Yes octane may be an option, but too costly when I may use another free platform for the basics anyway...thus a native solution is in my opinion a must, or I fear they will loose a lot of customers drasticly in a near future.
    Also to keep in mind, a GPU solution that works with current standard and pbr materials and not special dedicated ones like octane.

Sculpting has been on topic for many many years ..and was introduced a tiny bit with Core, only to fall in oblivion til we got 3rd powers tool, which isnīt on the same level as blender sculpting, and so we got layout sculpting with metamorphic..which is more a tool for adjusting morphs in a timeline, though it can be used to weight paint and sculpting terrain, but itīs horrible slow with denser meshes compared to blender sculpting, and unlike blender ..you can not add new geometry or reduce geometry like dynatopo in blender.

Weight emission and paint in blender ..works fine and includes particle emission , fluid emission , hair emission...so nicely intergrated there.

So yeah, one can really wonder why I still upgraded to Lightwave 2019 as a hobbyist as well, doesnīt make much sense except for I still love many parts of lightwave, mainly the Layout stage, modeling focus, new volumetrics to some degree..and all the wonderful large procedurals we got available...which is something I miss in blender.

But for me, the prio is..

1. Faster renderer, cpu or gpu.
    2. Faster fiber render tools.
    3. Modeling tools in layout. and consequently that should yield more parametric tools, text creation..direct drawing of spline paths in layout etc.
    4. Better sculpting, on denser meshes, dynatopo tools to add geometry. layout
    5. weight paint and weight emission functionality in layout for particles as well as fluids.
    6. enhance the fluids (vdb) currently very slow..hard to access and have a good UX, opengl presentation is horrible today.
    7. UI enhancements
    8. Undo enhancements.
    9. particle fx enhancements.
    10. dynamics enhancements of forces, the bullet forces need to affect fluids, and particles.

So there you go...there you got a little more to laugh at and to be entertained even more tonight you can imagine whatever time range you see fit for this be be done...whatever amuses you .

realisticly thinking..is just guessing since I do not know about the code or development and what they actually are working on..which could be something completely different..but maybe nr 2,5, 7 ...isnīt to bad to wish for included in the next release.

maybe just .blend i/o and skip everything else? half joking

GPU + CPU render support

or integrated Cycles Render Engine

Modeler / Layout unification
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    they use different methods and new ones don't show in side panel so you have to double click on everything which is incredibly tedious and rsi inducing.
    Exactly so, IMO what happened with node editors had significantly more negative UI/UX/efficiency impact than positive.

Newtek needs to SERIOUSLY start improving LW node editor UI/UX and workflow efficiency. It's depressing watching both C4D and Modo, among the LAST to "sit at the nodal table", making more node editor UI/UX and efficiency improvements each version than Newtek has made to LW in over a DECADE.

Sorry, but it's just painful watching them pull past and accelerate away in that area, of all areas.
    Last edited by jwiede; 10-29-2019 at 10:13 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Exactly so, IMO what happened with node editors had significantly more negative UI/UX/efficiency impact than positive.

Newtek needs to SERIOUSLY start improving LW node editor UI/UX and workflow efficiency. It's depressing watching both C4D and Modo, among the LAST to "sit at the nodal table", making more node editor UI/UX and efficiency improvements each version than Newtek has made to LW in over a DECADE.

Sorry, but it's just painful watching them pull past and accelerate away in that area, of all areas.
    At least we got smooth rubberband nodes, but that is about it...so I would say you are not wrong out on your comments...what is further problematic is that so much more relies on actually using nodes, and is required, such as volumetrics etc.
    The new procedural node was something that could have been great, but every setting for the procedurals inside that node, needs to be opened in another node window..that is very bad in my opinion, could have been great if it could have been active in th e side window with all settings directly tweakable,and just a scroll list if it doesnīt fit in the window completely, it would also need invert function ..which the other procedurals have, but not the procedural node.
    When I work with this node, along with all other windows popped up, the tweaking settings for the finer details..that window panel often hides behind others, despite trying to click on the main procedural node to get back to it...frustrating.

I'd be happy with just a Tidal wave button.
    And a Unity bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post

yeah, do people work on lw full time or maybe other commitments?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast