Thread: NDI audio output delay

NDI audio output delay

Hi,

Maybe you can help...
    Have a switcher TP-Link connected to the router of the internet.

One laptop is playing Youtube videos.
    With NDI scan converter - sending the video to the Tricaster. (AE3).
    For some reason I'm getting delay in the audio and jumps on the sound.
    Any ideas or direction what am I'm doing wrong?

Thank you for any direction you have...

Few things you can try.

First, make sure your audio is set to 48kHz sample rate in the Windows audio control panel.
    Also, make sure you audio card driver is up to date.
    Lastly, if none of that helps, you can install a virtual sound card driver and set everything to use that (VB-Cable is a good choice).

As another solution, use VLC Player 3.x with the NDI plug-in and just take the URL of the YouTube page and enter that as a 'Open Network Stream' source. (This is probably the best option regardless).
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

We use the VLC player to pick off YouTube videos all the time. It works great but you need to make sure that you are on an updated version of VLC to get it to work (using YouTube as a source that is).

You won't see anything on the local computer screen when you send the playout to NDI, you can only see it on the TriCaster (or NDI monitor or such).

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

Thank you Kane & Fritz,

I make sure that the audio card is at 48kHz sample rate.
    Assign the youtube link on VLC to youtube link.
    I do see the video on the Tricaster - but for some reason that I couldn't figure out - can't hear the audio.

At the VLC - I set the VLC (updated version 3.0.8 Vetinari) to Preferences --> Audio & Video - both on NDI audio output.
    Also tried with the VB-Cable.

When I set the tricaster to audio with VLC1 - I can hear the audio for one second and than its stopped.

Any idea What am I missing here?

Thank you for the help - using the VLC with NDI is amazing - and it gives lots of options. (just need to figure out the audio issue).

Tomer
    Last edited by Tomerson; 10-28-2019 at 05:48 AM.

I'm not sure about the audio. I'm trying it right now and not having any problems. Using both NDI Studio Monitor and TriCaster with audio is appearing in both places for the entire playback of the clip.

VB-Cable is not needed for the NDI plug in VLC Player. It was the NDI Scan Converter workflow.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Hi Ken,

I tried the VLC NDI (both Audio & Video output set on NDI video output and audio accordingly).
    Tried with Studio Monitor and NDI converter.
    The audio is chunky - jumping.... really donnow why. (set it on the tricaster with both studio monitor and VLC options.
    Same thing - the sound jumps ...
    I'm sure there is a solution that I'm missing... any direction?

Thank you,
    Tomer

So, you're saying that no matter what, when you look at the NDI stream from that computer the audio stutters. What about video?

And as a way to eliminate things, how about trying the same NDI source coming from a different computer? I've often seen that there is some background process (like a virus scan or OS update) that's entire taking up CPU cycles or bandwidth.

Fritz Golman

On laptop 1 : I can see the video.
    but the sound is chunky.

Just to make sure that I'm doing it right:
    VLC - preferences - Audio & video NDI out put.

Ken mentioned the NDI monitor - Its open and set to VLC.
    Should I also use the NDI Scan Converter or no need?

Laptop 2:
    Testing on another laptop is a great idea Fritz:
    Installed NDI tools on another laptop on the same network - can see the screen on the tricaster but this time the VLC doesn't go through - not a video or audio.

A bit confused between it all -
    Should I use Studio monitor or Scan converter.
    I do see on the Tricaster the VLC - and the monitor - no one is working on it. from the new laptop

Is there anything I'm missing?
    Last edited by Tomerson; 10-31-2019 at 12:24 PM.

No need to use scan convertor if you're using VLC. The NDI portion is built into the plug-in for VLC.

However, let's take this down to an even simpler test.

Run the NDI Test Pattern on the computer(s). Then run the NDI Monitor on the same computer. It will loop back locally, and you can have the audio playing out in monitor to see if it's breaking up or not. If it isn't breaking up on the loop back, then try looking at NDI monitor on another computer to see if that's breaking up when picking up NDI test patterns from the first.

If these tests are all sounding good locally, then there's something else going on. If they stutter locally, then it's likely the computer.

BTW, a general observation on systems that are acting up (not just in this case) is to make sure that graphics and, in this case, audio drivers are up to date. You might even want to be sure that your BIOS is up to date, too. And you probably should also ensure that the NDI tools are up-to-date as well.

Fritz Golman

Fritz Golman

Hi Fritz,

I tested it out with another laptop - with the NDI Test Pattern and NDI Monitor - seems to work fine.
    When you mentioned audio - did you mean for the different tones in the NDI Test Pattern?

I tried from another laptop with Premiere to send video onto the new laptop and I could hear and see the video. (not sure about the audio though - since its came from the monitor).
    When recording the video - it statered.
    Will try to play with it.

Is there a way to insert a video to the NDI Test Pattern - or its only meant for images?

Thanks again for the help..

I'm pretty sure that the test pattern are still images only. It would be nice if they did incorporate some kind of bouncing ball or sweep second hand to display some motion.

Installed NDI 4 last version on all laptops.
    Used the Virtual Cable - and it seems to work smoothly

Thank you Fritz and Kane for the help,

Tomer