Thread: Tricaster support for BMD SDI Tally Standard

Tricaster support for BMD SDI Tally Standard

Hi guys,

I have a 455 with a 460 upgrade. Also potentially looking to replace with a 410+ later in the year.

Right now I'm looking at changing to 2x BMD Studio Cameras, but am a little unsure how tally is going to work.

From what I gather most rack based Tricaster units support the BMD tally SDI standard.

As such, do I assume that upon connecting 2x said cameras the tally will work without any further configuration? Sounds kinda magic!

This afternoon I read around the subject a little and there seems to be mention that you have to loop PGM back to each camera, which threw me a little bit, so I wanted to ask others about their experiences.

Talked to Newtek support who pointed me to BMD. Ironically BMD pointed me back to Newtek!

Any suggestions appreciated!

You have to connect the PGM output from the TriCaster back to the camera (you can't send a tally signal back up the input cable).

On each camera you can set what input it should follow. After that, it should be automatic.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    You have to connect the PGM output from the TriCaster back to the camera (you can't send a tally signal back up the input cable).

On each camera you can set what input it should follow. After that, it should be automatic.
    Thanks Kanep, this is extremely helpful for me!

Sometimes these little pieces of information are obvious, but somehow remain illusive until you've got the equipment in front of you. I learned something new here :-)

In short then, I should patch each camera output to its own SDI input, then send PGM output back to each camera? After that the tally light on the live BMD studio camera should work.

From what I can see the 455 has 2x PGM SDI outputs, but presumably one could use a simple BMD distribution/converter if there were 3x cameras?

You can use a SDI D/A to send one output to all BMD cameras. That leaves the second TriCaster output available for other uses.

I don't have BMD camera myself, so I'm passing on what I understand from others that have gotten this working.
    Last edited by kanep; 10-26-2019 at 08:38 AM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks again, this helps a lot!