Thread: Moved from AE 2 to AE 3 - question on H264 recordings.

Moved from AE 2 to AE 3 - question on H264 recordings.

Hi all,

We have two live shows a day and usually have a quick turn around posting the recordings up to the web. For each show, we have approx 4-5 minutes of pre-roll clips + then one intro clip that runs before the show. Previously, when we used Advanced Edition 2 - we would set macros/automation to trigger stream starting on clip 1 of 4 to play our pre-roll, and then trigger the recording to start on clip 4 of 4.

The fun part is that we could trigger the recording to start, 5 Mbps H264 recording, which allowed us to immediately upload our recording once we finished the show.

Now with AE 3 - it seems that we can do the same, but we can ONLY record a raw/large file in the record section, as seeing that the H264 file record moved to the stream/encode section.

My question is - is there any way to set up in the encode section to start streaming on profile one, and then trigger profile 2 (our record H264 file) at a certain clip? Or are we stuck with now an additional step to having to trim off our pre-roll moving forward...

There isn't a way to do that now. I have the same kind of issue with it. I need to come up on streaming and stay there all day, even though I'm doing multiple separate programs during the day and can't get separate MP4 files of immediate upload anymore. The combination doesn't work well for me either.

I'd file a bug report and explain why it is an issue for you so that the engineering folks are sure to see it and consider it in the future: https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?pg=pgPublicEdit

Kris
    TriCasters: Mini, 410, 460, 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    Replay: 3Play 820
    CG: LiveText3 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52

Quote Originally Posted by kltv View Post
    There isn't a way to do that now. I have the same kind of issue with it. I need to come up on streaming and stay there all day, even though I'm doing multiple separate programs during the day and can't get separate MP4 files of immediate upload anymore. The combination doesn't work well for me either.

I'd file a bug report and explain why it is an issue for you so that the engineering folks are sure to see it and consider it in the future: https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?pg=pgPublicEdit

Kris
    Thanks for the info Kris - it's a total bummer and that definitley adds to our workflow again.

I was excited to have more control over the bitrate for our stream/encode settings but this drawback definitely is making me want to downgrade back to AE 2. I'll definitely add my 2 cents to the bug report system, I appreciate it.

Let us know the number of the report so we can add to it.
    That's the first thing I looked for on upgrading to AE3 from a standard 460.
    Bummed that such a versatile format was left out of that area.
    You say it's still in streaming, huh... Hadn't looked.

Thanks,
    Robert
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Let us know the number of the report so we can add to it.
    That's the first thing I looked for on upgrading to AE3 from a standard 460.
    Bummed that such a versatile format was left out of that area.
    You say it's still in streaming, huh... Hadn't looked.

Thanks,
    Robert

Robert - here is my ticket: https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?102578_co7r50i9

Also yes the encode section has a preset for FileCapture - that is the H264 encoding.

Any solution for this would probably require losing the possibility of streaming two unique programs at once; just curious how people feel about that ...
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Any solution for this would probably require losing the possibility of streaming two unique programs at once; just curious how people feel about that ...
    I get it. I am sure that some folks would love to keep the feature to stream to two different locations at once. However, folks like me whom have clients that wish to publish a polished H264 feed as soon as possible after a show, would benefit from going back to a H264 encode triggered by the recording.

I think a great in-between would be to still implement a H264 ability to record via the recording function like in AE2 and the ability to change the bitrate. If the user selects this function, a message would prompt the user that using this would disable the dual streaming/encoding via the stream/encode section.

Some other user asked this same question a few months back via these forums after I searched today for a way around this, and the response was something along the lines of "this is probably a feature that won't change, if you need something like this, we would suggest you look into external encoders". That response after putting down $1,000 to upgrade our machines is pretty discouraging. Instead of looking at all the 'new' features of AE3, I wished instead I looked for all of the features that AE3 would be taking away before we had upgraded our machines.

If it isn't possible to break the two encoder paths apart into two buttons, perhaps with a little "chain link" option to keep them together as they are now for those that want it, or return the MP4 to the record panel... I'd settle for a chop function in the stream/encode that would just "chop" any file records configured in the stream/encode button and let any of the streams keep on trucking without interruption. I'd end up recording a bunch of extra MP4s of slop, but I could delete the extra stuff. That would at least leave me with a complete MP4 of just what I want and uninterrupted streaming like I was able to achieve in previous software iterations. That's basically what I have to do now, but it disrupts all my live stream viewers every time I do it. Kidgkodiak could still do what they are trying to do by triggering an encoder chop via their macro in addition to a record start on the appropriate clips.

Kris
    TriCasters: Mini, 410, 460, 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    Replay: 3Play 820
    CG: LiveText3 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52