Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Houdini drawn hair to Lightwave, seem to work now..though you have to..

Houdini drawn hair to Lightwave, seem to work now..though you have to..

But you have to use blender to process import export..as for now and as I can see.

Just had a go at this again, can not recall if I had an issue with it the last time I tried it with either lightwave or blender.

but, just added a sphere in houdini, used the draw hair tool ( beware that you should lower edge hair amount in houdini though, the sample I did was a bit too much)
    anyway, once the hair is drawn with a brush, entering the sphere groom object, there you will find the drawn guides in the node network, right click on that and save /geometry..and save out in obj format.
    Do not import this to lightwave directly ..in such case you would get connected end strands in a mess, instead...load the obj inside of blender, then just save it out as obj again.
    When importing the obj to lightwave, it should now be correct.

Once in Lightwave I just selected the drawn hair polys and expanded it, the hole object comes also with a lot of skin folicles strands ..I do not want that so I just expanded the selection on the drawn hair (pigtail) and deleted the others.
    Created a new sphere ..in backgrund layer, save as lwo and send to layout, add fiberfx...And..It Works! I used houdini apprentice 16,5 so I think it shold work with newer versions and also apprentice versions as well as indie and full versions.

I do not recommend using 2018 or older, 2019 I think seem much more stable with this kind of strand exports and applying fiberfx.

No crash anyway and the fibers are working as they should, RND needs to be done for best workflow to make a complete set of export for both scalp or other main mesh to go along with the guides.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Houdini draw hair.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	254.6 KB 
ID:	146189

Name:	Houdini exported through blender 2 Lightwave hair.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	161.4 KB 
ID:	146190

Oh...I forgot, one important thing, when exporting from blender to obj for lightwave to import, you need to stand in editmode and export directly as obj when in that mode, or otherwise it will only come in as points.

so the trick is first houdini, export the groom drawn guides as obj, import to blender enter edit mode and export as obj.

And if you do not want to render in Lightwave..but in blender, then convert the guides in modeler with the strand tool first, then export to lwo, not obj, and use the hairnet plugin for blender ..that should allow for making particle hair based on the Houdini groomed hair.
    And you do need to merge points first as well before exporting the lwo to blender.

so now I think I got it sorted out, I can now either use particle hair in blender and send to lightwave for render in lightwave, or use lightwave modeler or layout to create fiberfx and send to blender for render, or use houdini to groom and style hair and render in either lighwave or blender..all that with the notion that I can of course use each software standalone as both hair groomer and renderer by default.

I do not have zbrush yet though, though I have tried it.
    Images below, all guides initially drawn with draw hair in houdini, then processed by the above mentioned methods.

Oh...and yes, you can continue to comb the hairs made in houdini with blender particle edit, just make sure to set draw path steps the same as the particle hair step, turn off the initial main mesh that was used to serve for creating the hair with hairnet..cause that is static.
    Combing the houdini guides in lightwave layout isnīt possible with fiberfx style tools, you could use soft or clothfx and use particle edit..or perhaps metamorphic, but that I havenīt tried.

Name:	hair mix.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	671.1 KB 
ID:	146191

Do not import this to lightwave directly ..in such case you would get connected end strands in a mess, instead...load the obj inside of blender,
    could you share the .obj, i'd like to give it a clean-up shot.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

could you share the .obj, i'd like to give it a clean-up shot.
    Sure, but it will have to wait till tomorrow, I am rendering some fire and smoke with blender now, and itīs really about coffin time now before the sun comes up, dog tired right now..and itīs my birthday as well.
    So give me 8-10 hours of sleep and some breakfast..and I will share it later.

I have noticed though, not sure in lightwave, but in blender the strands created from houdini drawing, is having itīs start point at the end and not the beginning, so there is some issue with shaping of the tip to become thin in the end, I noticed this when testing start and end time for the growth of hair, and it started to grow from the end instead of from the start, will have to look at that.

Where are you to clean it up, in Lightwave or blender?

and itīs my birthday as well.
    WoW!   

here are you to clean it up, in Lightwave or blender?
    LightWave  

Frequenter
    Also from me: Happy Birthday!!!!

Name:	Grattis.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	146198

and thanks for your neverending support and eagerness to experiment!!
    Have a great day! :-)

Thanks Erikals and fishhead,
    Feeling great at 54, could get up without any pain, had me some nice coffe, and I could still remember yesterday...so I packed these files in to a zipfile.

hair_3.obj (original obj export from houdini, this will load as closed polys when loading to lightwave)
    Hair3 blender processed.obj (this one is the hair3 obj loaded first in to blender, then saved out as obj from blender, this will load as open polylines in to lightwave)

Both these objīs has the sphere mesh only as tiny surface skin fibers along with the longer hair, in the other files I removed that by only selecting the longer fibers and use select connect then copy and paste to another layer in lightwave.
    Further more I have to run strandmaker on those longer hairfibers, and in the end ..also merge points, you need to do this in that order.
    Then save out to Lightwave lwo2 format.

Hair3 blender processed_lwo2.lwo (this one is cleaned up and saved out as lwo2, this should work to add fiberfx in layout, and also..this one is what you use to load in to blender and use the hairnet addon and create hair from fibers, the two first obj files will not work in blender with hairnet, well it can be applied but it will not look correct.

hair3 without particle hair.blend (in this blender scene, it is just imported from the lwo2 file and saved out as blender scene, so you can see the strands only.
    See attached zipfile hair3 with all the files, the houdini file I am not sure if I saved..will have to look.

Itīs a bit of a tedious process perhaps, and not perfect, you can see in the blender scene with particle hair, how the roots are thin and the tip of the fibers is thick, so where it getīs reversed is something I need to solve, I do not think I can fix it with negative root values or tip values in blender, not sure if flipping the strands somehow in modeler will solve it, if that can be done..then we got a working workflow yet a bit tedious, I am not sure..though I noticed something with OD tools for hair 2 lightwave?

Note, I still like the combing tools best in blender before houdini or lightwave, I prefer Lightwave for drawing splines before blender, but the draw hair tool in a continues stroke in houdini is something we do not have in either Lightwave or blender.

hair3 & particle hair.blend (in this blender scene, I have added the fibers with the hairnet addon)

Image showing how the fibers are thin at the root and thick at the tip...(4sec rendertime in cycles preview render)

I used Houdini apprentice 16.5.323
    Blender 2.79.3
    Lightwave 2019.1.1.

Name:	hair3 without particle hair.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	146200
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    ..though I noticed something with OD tools for hair 2 lightwave?
    yeah, you can just export the hair as obj from houdini, and load it into lw with odtools. you could then also convert the object into a ffx style.
    Oliver

OD Tools Purchase Link: http://origamidigital.com/cart
    Vimeo Channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/850417
    Join ODRoot - https://www.odroot.com

@prometheus

...strange, the sphere imports as 5000 two-point poly chains ?

Quote Originally Posted by oliverhotz View Post
    yeah, you can just export the hair as obj from houdini, and load it into lw with odtools. you could then also convert the object into a ffx style.
    Oliver, thanks...could you just link to the tools in question?

- - - Updated - - -

@prometheus

need to verify...Which file? and in Modeler?

@prometheus

Ah..of course they are, but I didnīt mention this clearly enough previously when I exported from houdini, I was standing on the fiber guide node and exporting...meaning it only exports all the fibers, and when you start the draw hair tool, it kind of gives a skin fiber density over the whole mesh, I havenīt worked that much with the houdini hair tools ..but I think that can be setup so you do not have the initial density.
    So nothing wrong with the hair3.obj exported from houdini..it exported exactly what it should have exported..given the circumstances, the tiny surface fibers looking like a sphere..is and should be 2 poin polys.

Try houdini yourself..add sphere and use the draw hair tool, and you see what I mean by the tool giving initial skin surface density before you even draw something, and since I was standing on the fiber guide node and exported..that is all that will be exported, not the actual mesh.

the thing is however with the strands, the point order starts at the tip, which is why we get thinner hair at the root instead of the other way around...you can see om my houdini screenshot...which node that is highlighted and right click and exported geometry from that.

oh,

yes, if two-point poly chains could be exported that would solve things,
    these could than be converted to splines easily.

but a closed mesh is a no-no, couldn't get that to work.
    if the mesh was much more dense, i could've hacked it by using Mike Green's "Select Polygons by Size"

that said, OD Tools is the way to go.

but the draw hair tool in a continues stroke in Houdini is something we do not have in either LightWave or Blender.
    in LightWave you can use Magic Bevel > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8pl3hBaFyo
    Last edited by erikals; 10-24-2019 at 11:29 AM.

oh,

yes, if two-point poly chains could be exported that would solve things,
    these could than be converted to splines easily.

but a closed mesh is a no-no, couldn't get that to work.
    if the mesh was much more dense, i could've hacked it by using Mike Green's "Select Polygons by Size"

that said, OD Tools is the way to go.

in LightWave you can use Magic Bevel > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8pl3hBaFyo
    But I said that already, you do not use the closed mesh, that is why you need to go the route of blender first and save out as obj, that file when loading to lightwave isnīt a closed mesh, the trick do do that in blender first though..you need to be in edit mode before exporting the obj file to lightwave.

Thatīs why I provided the hair3 blender processed file that was fixed that way.

Yes..I saw your vid about getting a similar way of "drawing hair" a bit more tedious than just draw hair in houdini though, if magic bevel had a multi 2 point polygon action that would be nice, as it is you can only do it one point at the time, like if we used extend and move extend and move.

Yes..I saw your vid about getting a similar way of "drawing hair" a bit more tedious than just draw hair in Houdini though, if magic bevel had a multi 2 point polygon action that would be nice, as it is you can only do it one point at the time, like if we used extend and move extend and move.
    Yes, it is not as smooth.  

Yes, it is not as smooth.  
    Anyway...you do have the two point polychains in the processed obj, so that one you can load and check, or load the lwo which is processed even further with deleted sphere surface fibers, and replaced with a proper sphere but with the polychain long fibers intact, also two point polychains..so no closed ones there, but they are in the wrong point order..that is why the blender render has thin roots, and thick ends.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast