Thread: Help with NewTech codec MacOS Quicktime Issue

Help with NewTech codec MacOS Quicktime Issue

Hello, thanks so much for reading this and hopefully someone can help me with this issue.
    I have a client that has the Tricaster 860 and needs files rendered in the NewTech codec but because I have a Mac upgraded to 10.14 Mohave I can not install the codec.
    I have downloaded earlier versions of Encoder 12.1 and After Effects15.1 but that didn't help.
    I have seen this is an issue for people but I have never seen a solution so maybe it's a simple one but I cannot find it.
    I have seen that Tricaster will read H264s but since H264s cannot render an alpha channel that isn't an option for me. Can it read an Apple ProRes 4444 render?
    I would think this would be a bigger issue for people but I haven't seen anyone really hitting this wall that I have.
    Does anyone have a solution for this? It would be much appreciated!

Mike Cahill

Quote Originally Posted by mikecahill View Post
    Hello, thanks so much for reading this and hopefully someone can help me with this issue.
    I have a client that has the Tricaster 860 and needs files rendered in the NewTech codec but because I have a Mac upgraded to 10.14 Mohave I can not install the codec.
    I have downloaded earlier versions of Encoder 12.1 and After Effects15.1 but that didn't help.
    I have seen this is an issue for people but I have never seen a solution so maybe it's a simple one but I cannot find it.
    I have seen that Tricaster will read H264s but since H264s cannot render an alpha channel that isn't an option for me. Can it read an Apple ProRes 4444 render?
    I would think this would be a bigger issue for people but I haven't seen anyone really hitting this wall that I have.
    Does anyone have a solution for this? It would be much appreciated!

Mike Cahill
    Lots of people have run into the codec issue. Thanks Apple! Its all due to them dropping support for 32 bit stuff. Yes, the TC will read a PR4444 clip.

Quote Originally Posted by dhodlick View Post
    Lots of people have run into the codec issue. Thanks Apple! Its all due to them dropping support for 32 bit stuff. Yes, the TC will read a PR4444 clip.
    Alpha is removed on ProRes import. You have to use other codecs if alpha channel is needed.

I have gone thru many major applications and put together step by step export instructions.
    https://www.newtek.com/blog/tips/imp...nto-tricaster/
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    Alpha is removed on ProRes import. You have to use other codecs if alpha channel is needed.

I have gone thru many major applications and put together step by step export instructions.
    Thanks for this, I am sorry to waste your time but it never came up in my hours of googling and searching the forums here. Guess I was using the wrong words.

The Tricaster takes away the alpha of a ProRes 4444?
    Animation files are the only answer?
    Bummer, they are huge files and from what I can tell the Tricaster converts them to another file after the Import?

That is a great instruction page
    Thank you!
    Mike
    Last edited by mikecahill; 10-22-2019 at 10:32 AM.

You should be able to import PR+alpha with Tricaster's "Import" feature, however that won't work if you're in session. Been waiting for a 64-bit SpeedHQ Quicktime for 2 years - can't export AVI from a Mac. Any NewTek guys here want to let us know if a new codec is in the works?

Resolume already came out with their new codec since DXV was Quicktime.

I've been sticking with AE2018, since 2019 did away with 32-bit.

Quote Originally Posted by trevorw View Post
    Been waiting for a 64-bit SpeedHQ Quicktime for 2 years - can't export AVI from a Mac.
    The QuickTime media framework has never been 64-bit and with Apple removing all 32-bit code support in OSX Catalina, QuickTime is officially dead.

Note, that I'm talking about the media framework, not the file format. Apple is using 'AV Foundation' for media reading which doesn't support 3rd party codecs.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Wait... what? TC strips the alpha off of a PR4444 file when using the import tool?
    Last edited by dhodlick; 10-25-2019 at 09:32 AM.

The QuickTime media framework has never been 64-bit and with Apple removing all 32-bit code support in OSX Catalina, QuickTime is officially dead.

Note, that I'm talking about the media framework, not the file format. Apple is using 'AV Foundation' for media reading which doesn't support 3rd party codecs.
    Hey Kane - just wondering why the import tool strips off the alpha of a PR4444 clip. Was this always the case?

Quote Originally Posted by dhodlick View Post
    Hey Kane - just wondering why the import tool strips off the alpha of a PR4444 clip. Was this always the case?
    I don't know for sure, it has been this way as far as I'm aware.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by trevorw View Post
    Any NewTek guys here want to let us know if a new codec is in the works?
    I'd like to know if they are working on a solution to this. I have lost a client bc I had to render animation files which they in turn had to re-render in the NewTech codec so they could run the animations during a live show. It was too combusersom of a workflow and they decided not to use me again.

Quote Originally Posted by mikecahill View Post
    I'd like to know if they are working on a solution to this. I have lost a client bc I had to render animation files which they in turn had to re-render in the NewTech codec so they could run the animations during a live show. It was too combusersom of a workflow and they decided not to use me again.
    The solution, at least for now, is to not upgrade to Catalina. I am running Mojave and the codec works fine. All of my GPX are generated in Motion and rendered out using the NewTek codec through Compressor. Woks 100%.

I believe there will be a better solution for this in the future (especially for OSX users).
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Don't put out the Windows Catz....

NDI Camera
    TriCaster Mini Advanced Edition
    Lightwave 11
    SpeedEdit 2.5

Music by www.soundtraxxmusic.com