Thread: PBR subsurface in 2019

PBR subsurface in 2019

This is sort of the look I'm after using subsurface. Does it seem accurate that a 1 meter sphere should have surface settings like these? I'm glad we can still dial in crazy numbers.. but it threw me off for a while trying to get a really hot subsurface without cranking lights and altering things like in 2015. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SSS_Cranked.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	156.8 KB 
ID:	146148

I would think with your distance setting, you would be shooting past the sphere (because it's only 1 meter in diameter) and that is why you have to crank the Subsurface so high to have any effect at all.

Perhaps set the distance to something like 250mm to start, and set your SS to 100%. Then you can change either your distance or your SS or both to achieve the effect, without cranking up you SS.

It appears to have the same effect as you show here.

Just my two cents.

Sounds good. I'm a slow learner... and having objects brought in at different scales is really messing me up. Definitely not getting the same results with smaller and larger objects, which is a bump in my learning curve. It makes sense (kinda) but.... like I said... I'm a slow learner.

I understand, believe me.

With PBR subsurface, you just have to remember that Distance is how far "into" the surface of your object the subsurface color becomes visible.

So if your subsurface Distance is greater than the size of your object, you won't see it unless you crank up the amount of SS to very large amounts.

The percentage of the subsurface denotes how much of the subsurface color is visible as a whole. If you set it to 100%, it will replace your surface Color setting.

I usually start out with Subsurface at 35% and my distance at one third or one fifth the object size / width / thickness (depending on what SS will have the most impact on), but that depends on how much SS I want, and how close to the "surface" of my object I want light to have to penetrate to reveal the SS.

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Pretty simple...

The SS % is simply the mix between SS colour and diffuse colour. Even though you can go past 100%, its pointless, just use 100% SS with a brighter SS colour (because that's effectively all going past 100 is doing, increasing the colour brightness).

The distance is nothing more than the distance at which the shine through terminates... the distance at which the pass through light decays to nothing. So if you have a 1m object, and 1m distance, the side on the far side of the light will be black. Give it a 2m distance and the light on the far side will have 50% the brightness of the SS colour (multiplied by the SS % ofc).
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Thanks for the tips fella's. It helps. RH, I've been rewatching your vids again. So much great info in there. So I hear your voice reading the response. Ha.