Thread: Questions about choosing a monitor for work with Lightwave

Questions about choosing a monitor for work with Lightwave

Hello,

I am looking for a monitor to use with Lightwave for the design and rendering.

Do I need to have the same specs as a monitor used for Photoshop or something set for video editing?

I have a choice of a monitor with 100% sRGB, 100% Adobe RGB, 100% Rec 709, DCI-P3, less than Delta 2 at 60hz 2k 27in for $639

or

A monitor with 100% sRGB, DCI-P3 and Less than Delta 2 , 400 HDR, at 4K 27in 144hz for $699.

Which one would be best? Both have ten bit color.

Plus it will be used for photoshop, video edting and some video games.
    Last edited by yoshiii1; 10-15-2019 at 05:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    Will you be using LW for personal projects or commercial projects?

If it's for the latter, then the answer really depends on where you fit in the project's workflow. Film production has different requirements to game production and broadcast in many areas of development. Productions for the internet also have different needs.

For example, you don't need a Rec 709 capable monitor for internet or game productions. So the question is, what will you be using LW for?

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazzy View Post
    Will you be using LW for personal projects or commercial projects?

If it's for the latter, then the answer really depends on where you fit in the project's workflow. Film production has different requirements to game production and broadcast in many areas of development. Productions for the internet also have different needs.

For example, you don't need a Rec 709 capable monitor for internet or game productions. So the question is, what will you be using LW for?
    Hello

I will use it for photoshop, 3D design, animation 3D and 2D, video editing, and other graphic stuff. Video games.

I use the ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440. I have had it for about 5 years now and it works great for what I need.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshiii1 View Post
    Hello

I will use it for photoshop, 3D design, animation 3D and 2D, video editing, and other graphic stuff. Video games.
    I'm going to assume from your response that you are creating personal work and not commercial work.

In that case, your finished work will be displayed on RGB based screens (smartphones, computer monitors, HDMI TVs in DVI mode) therefore the priority would be to buy a monitor that has a high sRGB accuracy level. Adobe RGB accuracy is more important if you are producing print work.

Other colour spaces usually refer to broadcast/film/print work.

Since your work is probably going to be distributed to the web, sRGB is the important factor. However to be honest, most people won't see your work as you intended it because their screens will most likely be cheap 8 bit, low accuracy colour space displays, so I really wouldn't worry too much about your monitor's colour accuracy unless you are doing work professionally. In that case having a properly calibrated, colour space accurate monitor for the profession you work in will be key.
    Last edited by Shabazzy; 10-17-2019 at 05:05 PM.