Thread: SDI Output Exited from TC Software

SDI Output Exited from TC Software

Hello,

I have two TC1 units and one stops the SDI output (no signal) when I exit Live Production mode, while the other one puts up the below ramp pattern signal when exited from Live Production mode. The pattern persists even when in regular Windows mode (TriCaster application not running).

I may have found a setting one day and turned it on to do that, or perhaps it came from the factory that way. I'd like to enable that pattern on my other TC1, as having ever-present SDI is important to my application.

Does anyone know how to do that? My two TC1 systems were purchased about 9 months apart, and have pretty similar hardware, though not identical.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	146145

Is it possible that the Failsafe (passthrough) setting is different on the two units? Not sure if this might be implicated or not ...
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Is it possible that the Failsafe (passthrough) setting is different on the two units? Not sure if this might be implicated or not ...
    the "A/V Passthrough" setting is checked on both systems. I've confirmed that if I exit out of a 1080i/59.94 show, I get those weird looking bars, but if I exit from a 480i or 1080p/29.97 show, I get solid black. On my second system, I get no signal whatsoever when I exit the Live Production mode.

I also found that sometimes that weird bar pattern goes away even on the one system. I haven't yet figured out what makes it come and go.

With Blackmagic Design DeckLink and AJA Io cards/box, you get an option to hold on the last frame of video, or to put up bars/black, etc. Is there such a feature on the TC1?

The A/V passthrough (failsafe) will send the last input (#4 on a TC1) to the first SDI output (#1). Do you have input 4 connected to a source on both systems?

The options on TC1 are no video at all (when failsafe is disabled) or the pass though of the last input (when failsafe is active).
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Note that I'm not certain this mode even works when you have deliberately exited the software (as opposed to unexpected loss) ... so it was just a thought to consider.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I have an SDI device connected to input 4 on the system that isn't generating the bar pattern, whereas the system that doesn't have anything on input 4 is generating the bar pattern...I thought for sure it would be the other way around!

Hmmm, I applied the latest update for the TC1 (which included a full system shutdown and boot up) and now see the same bar pattern on the output of the second system. Maybe the presence of that bar pattern is inconsistent in general and isn't related to a difference in settings or systems (I did see it go away once on the first TC1 without applying the update).

I found that certain saved sessions leave the SDI active (bar pattern), while others kill it when exiting from "Live Production". New sessions seem to keep the bar pattern, whereas sessions we created when we first got the system (1, 2 years ago) don't. It must be something that changed in the software updates since then.

I will re-create my old sessions from scratch to see if that eliminates my issue from now on. Using the "bad" session as a template perpetuates the behavior of killing the SDI output when exiting "Live Production".

Weird, but at least I have something to work off of.