Thread: Incompatibility with Full NDI

Incompatibility with Full NDI

OK bare with me. I have a Newtek PTZ on the latest firmware. I also have a couple of pc's with VMix 4k and also a Tricaster HDMI Mini running the latest version of ADV3 (Downloaded 9th Oct 2019). I was doing tests with my equipment and part of the accessories I have are 2 Birddog Mini units. Now when I power recycled the Birddog Mini encoders I found that I was getting glitching on both my Tricaster and VMix program outputs (even though the Birddog Miini wasn't selected as the output at the time only a non-selected source. I contacted Birddog and they suggested updating the latest firmware (very good as it now can encode an HDMI source to NDI and also decode any NDI stream on the network to the HDMI loop out). After updating I found that the glitching was still present. I had a PTZ on the network as a source and the NDI stream was unreliable so I was using the HDMI out instead and I though I would take this off the network and see if this affected the glitching. What I found was that if I removed the PTZ from the network recycling the Birddog no longer caused any glitching to the program outputs.

With this latest info I contacted Birddog dog and said that the problem appeared to be the PTZ and removing it solved my glitching events. To my surprise the reply I got suggested that having NDI-HX and Full NDI should not be used on the same network as cause network errors.

Of course my response to that is what the hell!!! No one has ever suggested on any forum I have read that the 2 different standards cause network errors. So if this is true what can be done to remove these errors in the network workflow?

Equipment:
    Ubiquiti Edgerouter X (Internet)
    Ubiquiti Switch 8-150 (multicast enabled)
    Newtek PTZ
    Birddog Mini Firmware (3.14)
    i7 Desktop with VMix 22.69
    Tricaster Mini HDMI with 7-0-191998C firmware

I saw your post on Facebook as well. As mentioned there, you can have NDI and NDI-HX running on the same network without issue.

The first thing to look at is multicast. Can you turn that off and see if that has any affect on what is happening.
    Last edited by kanep; 10-14-2019 at 05:43 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

The TC1 outputs full NDI of its SDI inputs and MIX out. People use that with the PTZ1s on NDI-HX...?

Quote Originally Posted by stp_productions View Post
    The TC1 outputs full NDI of its SDI inputs and MIX out. People use that with the PTZ1s on NDI-HX...?
    Daily ...
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

So the idea that NDI and NDI-HX cannot mix seems..... wrong....

Definitely.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")