Thread: laying down cables using bullet?

laying down cables using bullet?

So i have a little project where i need to lay down some cables and i was wondering if anyone know what the best approach would be to dynamically have them interact with props.

so a few boxes, i need the cables to lay across them (they are different height boxes). How can i use bullet to make them lay across the boxes and keep their volume.

if i turn them into soft dynamic objects i'm afraid they will just turn into flat cylinders rather than retain their roundness. is there anyway to make that work. it would be great to place some cables above the box, hit go and have them fall and settle into some nice looking arrange ment - freeze them and and use the frozen object. But i'm not even sure you can do that with pipes.

i had one thought to bone them, and then bullet the bones to get them to lay, but wasn't sure if that was the right way to go.

the other alternative is just to position all the props in modeler, and then just build the cables themselves using splines to follow the box heights - not dynamically made, but will work if all else fails.

thanks

IK Booster with Bone Dynamics is the first thing that comes to mind. Bullet can work too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jLkdoQcqus&t=203s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47ahK-Y4W4M
    Last edited by Oldcode; 10-11-2019 at 09:17 PM.

I would suggest try use a simple polychain enough divided, and use bullet deform on that, the actual cable mesh can be metalinked to that.
    Now the polychain should be one object and be intersecting/inside of any cube object that will hold it or move it, the cube object can either be static, rigid body.

I would suggest you make a cube, make it static, then have your polychain end part go inside that cube a bit, make the cube a bullet static object, and the polychain bullet deform..hit play and only the polychain should fall down in one end.

then you can try various types for the cube..then add another cube on the other end of the polychain, and finally line up a cable mesh with the polychain and metalink the polychain to the mesh.

The rigid body may be harder to controll as you want, since it needs either a keyframe activation or always be activated or sleeping till another force or kinematic is triggering it..and the rigid body will then beahave according to the dynamics.
    If you turn the cube to kinematic, it will still be controlling the polychain, but the kinematic object will not react to any force or rigid body, it is itīs own kinematic motion controller and as such you can place where you need it and move it so the polychains follows, like if you connect a whip to this kinematic cube, and you have the cube parented to a hand bone.

But if you have two cube as kinematic in both ends of the polychain and move only one of them, the other cube will not follow, instead the chain will be stretched.

Initial Method
    https://youtu.be/IW9CLDMK0bU

Updated Method via Nodes
    https://youtu.be/DRBY0vQmsJc

You can also render out the polychain with edge options and give it enough poly thickness, if your cables can be accepted as only that without anything fancy, but it would depend on further intersection and interaction with floor or other items.

two cubes, one kinematic (could also be static in this case) the polychain start is intersecting with the cube so the kinematic cube is holding it fixed, the other cube is a rigid body also intersecting, the movement of the cube is
    caused by a bullet force field, then some added particles to the cube for spicing up something quite trivial.