Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cloth FX or Bullet?

Bullet gives you a fair amount of control over wind and forces. I like to use procedural textures to channel the forces in Bullet. This is how I was able to direct where and how the leaves are blown around in the old Brudders video excerpt. (Yes, darn it! One of these days, I'll finish that thing!)

Edit: I just saw xswampyx's post...yeah, kinda like that!

David Ridlen has some extensive knowledge of clothFX as well, just poke on him and see if his still going strong with that and have the time to jump in with suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    Bullet gives you a fair amount of control over wind and forces. I like to use procedural textures to channel the forces in Bullet. This is how I was able to direct where and how the leaves are blown around in the old Brudders video excerpt. (Yes, darn it! One of these days, I'll finish that thing!)

Edit: I just saw xswampyx's post...yeah, kinda like that!
    Yes..I use that as well, though for clothFX, I prefer the provided silk, cotton settings to use in clothfx and how the cloth reacts to the wind..and not as stiff as with bullet deform, the kind of overlapping flag folds that can occour is something I haven´t been able to reproduce with bullet deform.

As for procedurals I often use the ripple procedural to control speed, amount of ripples, wavelength etc, for the main turbulence in the flat in the wind vectors,sometimes combined with turbulence prodedurals, there are also other animated like underwater and much much more that can yield nice effects.

but I also add secondary wind, and this wind has a set x direction or whatever direction the flag is wind stretched to, and on the power channel using noise or oscillator modifier so the wind isn´t constant, another trick would be to just rotate the wind and keyfram it or use the oscillator in the winds rotation channels.

To note..
    Choice of flag cloth type, most modern flags seem to be more stiff in material, you could also aim for some old samuraj standards and flags..which has a more light silk feel to it when wind is affecting it.

Quote Originally Posted by XswampyX View Post
    Here's bullet.

Attachment 146128

Scene.
    Thanks for sharing XswampyX, If I get my clothfx a little better, I may share it later.
    Your sample is good, I changed display to play at exact rate, recalculated it...it plays a bit too slow though..or that the flag is reacting a bit to slow, kind of like the flag is underwater, I am not sure
    a flag would behave in such manner in the wind in real life..but it is still very good, a starting point to tweak on...lowering frame rate perhaps? Increasing time scale?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Thanks for sharing XswampyX, If I get my clothfx a little better, I may share it later.
    Your sample is good, I changed display to play at exact rate, recalculated it...it plays a bit too slow though..or that the flag is reacting a bit to slow, kind of like the flag is underwater, I am not sure
    a flag would behave in such manner in the wind in real life..but it is still very good, a starting point to tweak on...lowering frame rate perhaps?
    Thanks.
    Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12