Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hypervoxel Gas Leak with wind dynamics

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    I guess you do not own turbulenceFD, so blender & Lightwave combo could be an alternativ, if you have 2019, vdb gas solver could also be of interest, but that takes some time and learn, as well as not as smooth to simulate with collision as in blender.

Hey! Thanks for the video. Yes.you are right, Only Lightwave 2015.3, And definitely no need for simulation. We are just to show what is happening inside and simply explain the process to clients. Even if it is real like blender that wont make sense of doing entire project and then it may deal with R&D kinda.
    This is for presentation purpose only.

Wind Animation path type:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GASFlow-WinfPath-not uniform.PNG 
Views:	19 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	146140 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GASFlow-WinfPath-not uniform.PNG 
Views:	19 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	146140 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windpath-curves-undefined.PNG 
Views:	13 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	146141

Here the path is little tricky as we have to adjust everytime for its curves ans straightness. why cant Lightwave
    has its wind drawing path defined to perfect radius and straighlines with intermediate command and adjustments.I would say drawing polyline in AutoCad 2D software.
    This gas leak is not only in the said place but also somewhere around this system which is little visible.
    I would like to conclude that the wind path and the finished edge needs some other way and that should be handy as simpler as it is. Not to spend more time for tweaking it.
    And Yes it is possible to make perfect the entire project with much patience and concentration.

Thanks
    Thiyagu
    Last edited by thiyaguthree; Yesterday at 02:25 AM.

Check some animaiton clip here:
    https://vimeo.com/366200215

Yes..animation wind path is not ideal in some cases, Ivé been wanting a direct particle draw spline tool, without the need to go through windsetting or cloning nulls for ctrl handles, or just a spline draw tool in layout with an option to connect a particlefx wich follows the spline ..even though the spline is perfectly straight.

You could clone the wind animation handles double times for each corner it has, that way you could get sharp directional changes, but it also introduces a loop force so to speak, so it swirls around in each corner.
    Another thing you could try, but it would be a particle flow, but particle birth around a polyline or curve, triggered by either each vertices point creation order, which means that the curve or polyline needs a lot of points and also created in a consequent order, or having a collision object set to event and the emitter generate by collision event, then move the collision object along that curve or polyline path...but this will only spawn the birth of particles to achieve a growing effect of particles and hvīs, donīt think that would work well here.

Edit...
    another way would be to create the path/spline entirely in modeler, and also make a motion path of it to layout, make a null follow it and make the null a particle emitter, set the mitter to have no motion and it will be a trail of particles following that null...seemingly growing somekind of gas, but I guess that is not what you would want either..since you may need a little of particles flowing in a certain motion to describe the process ..and as the particles in such setup will not move other than following the null, that may not be ideal.

but some options on what can be done.

Sorry for having to mention blender again in this thread, lightwave developers should take note of it as a comparison on working with particles and paths in a better way.

I am no expert in blender particles following paths, just tested it a couple of times, first I tried with extruding a point for polylines and converting to a curve and make that a force with curve guide mode, that didnīt affect the particles at all..
    then I tried a bezier spline, that works fine, but for making sharp corners..not ideal..though you can change resolution for the curve so it have sharp corners, the particles will not follow that accordingly to the resolution, so what I did was to take the bezier handles and use snap transform to 3d cursor..and placed the 3d cursor in the midpoint handle of the bezier corner, so that both the handles will be on the same spot as the main corner, that will give straight curves and the particles follows the curve with sharper corners better than trying to do similar with the ctrl handles in lightwave.

I havenīt checked the other path curve types in blender, it may be possible that they work better, so itīs a note to consider for Lightwave developers.. since the approach of both creating curves and paths in a scene, and have particles follow it more accurately seems to work better in blender.
    Generally with particles from my part, there are other aspects at this time that I prefer with Lightwave particles...that is until I discover how to do the same or similar in blender.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	particle curve guide force.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	146143

Edited, anim sample, changed curve resolution and shape of curve guide force to make a thin line, I do not see how I can acheive similar in lightwave with any kind of ease...
    Sorry for that these latest post probably wonīt help you how to do it in Lightwave, only providing another solution elsewhere if in absolute need for it, and for those eventual commenting on ..not another blender post, it is posted with the notion that particleFX could be..and should be enhanced to meet the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    it is posted with the notion that particleFX could be..and should be enhanced to meet the competition.
    And now: A brief moment of silence for all those who passed holding their breath awaiting Lightwave enhancements.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    And now: A brief moment of silence for all those who passed holding their breath awaiting Lightwave enhancements.
    Silence is for those under the grave, speak up loud is for something to be spoken for..and to be heard by those who make sure to listen.

I just found out another particleFX enhancement I want fixed, filling a mesh with particles..Unfortunately I do not now of any good workaround with collision objects etc to get that going, you could of course use stipple or fill solid within a mesh and emitt from those points, but I am not sure how that would work out for animated meshes..

so with a simple volume mode as we have in blender..i can fill my mesh on the inside with particles..so easy to do in blender, not so easy to do in Lightwave.
    In blender You can choose from vertices, faces or volume, in Lightwave you have vertices, surface, normal, box, sphere object line..But nothing to do a mesh fill.

I am in fact a bit baffled they havenīt adressed that kind of particle Vfx option in to lightwave after so many years, or am I missing something?
    Things like that would help a lot doing destruction vfx ala Alan McKay.

Though I am sure at one point I will find something missing in blender particles that I could do very simply in Lightwave, but I need more time with blender particles to find out about that.

For what I can see now, most important for particle VFX enhancement, that is weight emission, volume fill of a mesh..and working on deformed meshes as well, and introducing spline drawing in layout, from which you can connect the particleFX without any wind necessary, those splines should be able to have sharp linear corners as well, that would solve some of the issues the thread starter has here with the gas leak, and further add more accuracy to his path.

And there is more, but those are somewhat important I think.

I have also found that the way I can use particle trail settings in line mode and use halo surfaces for the particles in blender, I can acheive much smoother ink or smoke style particle look ..or night crawler effects, and I think Ivé been pushing lightwave finer particles a lot before, but with blender I think I can get it a level up, unfortunately though...cycles can not render that kind of particle settings..so I have to use old blender render.

Makes me think if cycles and the new lightwave render engine share a common issue?
    since we do not have the sprite type either to render with unless activating the old hv legacy system.

perhaps try to dissolve it using DPont Marker Pen ?

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12