Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Modeler Tool equivalent to "contract" or "expand"?

  1. #1

    Modeler Tool equivalent to "contract" or "expand"?

    I've run into this situation occasionally and have always ended up finding a workaround. But what I'm really looking for is a tool within Modeler that is comparable to Photoshops "Expand" or "Contract" function. I want to shrink (or grow) an object within it's own parameters. For simple objects like a cube or sphere, obviously you can simply resize it. But for unusual shapes (see attached image) resizing it means it no longer conforms to it's previous 'outline'.
    ...This is really hard to describe with words. Hopefully the attached image clearly demonstrates what I mean though. Is there any tool (or method) in modeler that would achieve this result?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Contract Tool?.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	174.3 KB 
ID:	146110  

  2. #2
    Super Member Kryslin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Prescott, IA
    Posts
    1,527
    Bevel or multishift can expand or contract a flat polygon(s) easily, just use the inset value to achieve your effect.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

  3. #3
    Frequenter
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    352
    Wouldnīt thicken work nicely for this? Expand or contract (apply new surface names in the numeric panel accordingly while you are at it) and then just selecting the respective surface parts and cut the unwanted portions?

  4. #4
    Point Normal Move might be effective.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

    http://www.sauder.com

  5. #5
    Super Member Chris S. (Fez)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,956
    Smooth Scale

  6. #6
    Curmudgeon in Training Ma3rk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Near Beaverton, OR
    Posts
    1,442
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFalcon View Post
    I've run into this situation occasionally and have always ended up finding a workaround. But what I'm really looking for is a tool within Modeler that is comparable to Photoshops "Expand" or "Contract" function. I want to shrink (or grow) an object within it's own parameters. For simple objects like a cube or sphere, obviously you can simply resize it. But for unusual shapes (see attached image) resizing it means it no longer conforms to it's previous 'outline'.
    ...This is really hard to describe with words. Hopefully the attached image clearly demonstrates what I mean though. Is there any tool (or method) in modeler that would achieve this result?
    Since no one has mentioned the obvious, there are several modes you can use with the Size tool (+H). Have you tried the Selection or Pivot options?
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    378
    If you are trying to bevel evenly, try multishift, and try the different modes in the "inset" dropdown, in the numeric panel, to find the one that works best.

  8. #8
    3D objects can be expanded via smoth shift (play with the smoothing angle to get the result you want
    for sinle polygons its either multishift or bevel, or... extruding your 2d shape and use smooth shift.
    (also some other tools mentionend in posts above only work with 3d shapes)


    hope this helps

  9. #9
    Thanks everyone.

    Multishift and Bevel don't work in the way I want for this function since they work on each polygon individually by default. And size tool, regardless of tool center (origin, selection...) doesn't work for this since I'm not after a uniform size change, but rather an inset or expansion of the object. I'm sure tweaking the settings in Multishift could eventually get me the effect I'm looking for, but it's not the 1-click answer I was after.

    Smooth Scale is exactly what I was looking for, Thank Chris
    Thicken also works great as a way to do the same function while creating a new object (preserving the original).

    Appreciate the responses, thanks!

  10. #10
    Super Member Kryslin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Prescott, IA
    Posts
    1,527
    With Multishift, be sure to check the box marked "group polygons". Treats the entire selection as one polygon, then.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

  11. #11
    Super Member Chris S. (Fez)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,956
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFalcon View Post

    Smooth Scale is exactly what I was looking for, Thanks Chris
    Sure. Glad to be of service.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryslin View Post
    With Multishift, be sure to check the box marked "group polygons". Treats the entire selection as one polygon, then.
    I agree.... use Multishift.... WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more control over what you need to do. As Kryslin says, tick 'group polygons' and make sure you have Contour selected as the insert operator.

    Most important thing of Multishift is that it is interactive... you can actually see what you are doing and what different settings do.

  13. #13
    LightWave documentation BeeVee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Pessac
    Posts
    5,074
    If you want to get really groovy, use VDB.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Layout_2019-10-18_19-24-08.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	275.7 KB 
ID:	146163Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Layout_2019-10-18_19-24-44.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	287.3 KB 
ID:	146164Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Layout_2019-10-18_19-24-55.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	317.1 KB 
ID:	146165

    You can then use the VDB Saver node to save out geometry if you like

    B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

  14. #14
    Big fan of coffee raw-m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,339
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    If you want to get really groovy, use VDB.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Layout_2019-10-18_19-24-08.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	275.7 KB 
ID:	146163Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Layout_2019-10-18_19-24-44.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	287.3 KB 
ID:	146164Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Layout_2019-10-18_19-24-55.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	317.1 KB 
ID:	146165

    You can then use the VDB Saver node to save out geometry if you like

    B
    Slightly OT, BeeVee, do you know of a technique for tightening up the edges, making them a little sharper, using the VDB nodes?

  15. #15
    LightWave documentation BeeVee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Pessac
    Posts
    5,074
    Use the same Filter node, set to Erode. In fact, nothing stops you making a big chain of filter nodes, even using a dilate then an erode to better sculpt your "mesh"...

    B
    PS. If you want more detail, lower the Voxel Size, but remember to keep the voxel size the same for every node that calls it.
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •