Thread: Call for Lightwave 2019 Showreel

Call for Lightwave 2019 Showreel

Hi Lightwavers
    This is an important call for making a new showreel for Lightwave 2019.
    Please send the best of your work in links of vimeo or youtube.
    I take the initiative of editing the new showreel.
    I cant understand why Lightwave dont want to show new work from Lightwavers around the world.
    Thanks in advance
    KAKAROUNTAS KONSTANTINOS
    CREATIVE DIRECTOR ,VFX-CG SUPERVISOR
    DAHOUSE PRODUCTIONS

Of course there will be a need for love for the showreel, it will have to wait again for 3d animators to become familiar with the software as Lightwave become reality. On my part, I'm doing a 3D animation but it's wip and it can take a lot of time, sorry drako.

You can see some videos from creating with Lightwave.

Here, this or that

Hope some Lightwave users will make an awesome for 3D animation in futur.

Drako, you should post this on some of the Lightwave Facebook groups. Loads of Artist on there too.

It might not be a bad idea to reach out to individual LW users such as David Ridlen, Mark Warner, Lightwave Guru, Rebel Hill, and many others who have some really great looking stuff and renders. I think many people are probably busy and it would be better to reach out than to expect them to submit on their own.

I think a lot of work was done for discovery channel in lightwave, 2018 (before it was released as well) if you look through the EXPO videos I think it tells you who was involved,
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by drako View Post
    I cant understand why Lightwave dont want to show new work from Lightwavers around the world.
    Thanks in advance
    Lightwave? You mean the Lightwave3D group or Newtek I assume?
    and what states that they wouldnīt want to show any new work?
    Assuming that doesnīt really make sense, assuming they havenīt worked enough on the part of gathering showreel matierial or simply do not have enough man resources to work on it ..or something else in their agenda that slows them down...that seems more likely than a case of that they do not want to have their product showcased.

Suggested Artists here in the thread is a good choice, maybe they need someone that has many inside connections to studios and moviemakers where they have put Lightwave to use with shining examples.

And as noted, many artist may not have sent their material to Newtek would surely like them to do so for choosing the top of the cream, it would help rather than that they should locate it, especially if itīs something smaller and not something that made it to the big screens, commercials etc.

That said without judging and coming to a conclusion that Newtek or the Lightwave team "not wantīs to"
    I think they could do a better job by making sure they schedule a yearly showreel release of what has been made within a certain year, and with certain newer feature stuff in the software.
    The lightwave3d channel should return a showreel for each year when you search for it on their channel, and should also be in a seperate playlist.

Letīs start here..Lightwave VFX work for the oscarwinning Red Book...(David Ridlen) I refer to him as MR Snow
    His reels are a good showcase as well in the sense that it also provides wire breakdowns so to speak.

I haven't seen Red Book, is it a sequel?

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    I haven't seen Red Book, is it a sequel?

B
    I have no Idea, I havenīt seen it either..and it may be that it was a movie that didnīt catch my eye as something of big interest for my taste, even though it got the oscar for best movie..may keep an eye on it
    when it arrives on the broadcast channels.

I liked the vfx breakdown though, and the final result the vfx produces..itīs that kind of 3D graphics vfx that needs to be blended with real stuff and actually not sticking out as vfx, that is something David does so well, and that is something that Lightwave also seem very capable of doing, set extensions or mixing in aeroplanes, cars etc.

Edit..I was about to mention Angels and Demons as an example, but just found out that I do not think Lightwave was used for the rendering, merely just the modeling part of the inside of the Vatikan, then rendered with maya Mental ray...I think, Previously I thought lightwave was used in the rendering process as well there..but maybe not.

I know it would be a huge task, but it would be really interesting to gather "the big movie" stuff where they used lightwave ( there already is) but for each one of the movies, they are just listed as having lightwave used at some point, not for what and how they used Lightwave, I guess it would be a lot of work to gather all that, but it would be really interesting to read about what ways it was used.
    Now I understand that often it seems Lightwave isnīt used for many of the bigger impact scenes, and often pre-viz and what do you know..the modeling process.

Movies like 300 and sin city is kind of old news, yet a testimony to a working product, and David did some stuff with sin city as well, so more recent stuff is required..though I do not know the business well enough to judge wether or not Lightwave isnīt used that much in studios anymore, or if it has changed direction in regards to what it mostly is used for today.

Wether it be movie, commercials, or tv series...making R2D2 fly in starwars, making medical showcases in CSI, spaceships in Battlestar Galactica, zombiestuff in walkin dead, I think
    a proper showcase of how Lightwave was employed in the cases could be benifital to marketing Lightwave ( Could )

https://www.fxguide.com/fxfeatured/angels_and_demons/

And here is why I was confused to think they used Lightwave for the rendering of the Vatikan church in Angels and Demons, they only used Lightwave for modeling of one church and the rest modeled in Maya for the Davinci Code, but rendered the shots in Lightwave at that time for the Davinci Code, but later changed to render in Maya for Angels and Demons.

I hope I got that right from the articles

https://www.awn.com/vfxworld/angels-...n-vfx-steroids