Thread: audio to follow only the DDR

audio to follow only the DDR

I have an audio hand-off from an audio guy mixing several "live" mics. I've connected his feed into the first XLR in on my TriCaster 860 as a line in panned to center. I'm running 8 cameras without audio for my shoot. I also have a DDR loaded with a commercial with audio. When coming to the DDR I need the audio coming from the audio guy to mute while the spot runs. His audio is also feeding a PA and needs to remain "hot" for the audience.

It would seem that I should open the DDR's audio panel and turn on "Follow". Logically, the audio out of the TriCaster should follow to the DDR while turning off the audio at input one of the Tricaster. The other time I tried this, it worked just as I thought it would. But if I were on camera one while running the spot, everything seemed correct. But, for some reason, when I left camera one for any other camera the audio seemed to follow that camera's associated audio channel number thus muting the audio at channel one. What have I done wrong?
    Tricaster 860 and CS
    3Play 330 and CS

Sony PMW-EX3
    5-Sony HXR-NX5
    Sony Z1-U
    FCP7 & FCPX NLEs
    2-AJA KI PROs
    BM-ATEM 1ME Production Studio
    BM-HyperDeck Shuttle recorder

I think what you actually want to do is make audio from input 1 do the following. You need the mics from him to go away whenever you go to the DDR. That means you want the audio from input 1 to do the changing, not the necessarily the DDR audio. On the input 1 audio source, I would set it to follow each of your camera input sources. That will keep that audio active whenever one of the live cameras is enabled and kill it when you go to anything else, namely the DDR. You can leave the audio follow on for DDR1 set to use only DDR1's video to follow, but it probably isn't even necessary unless you might be rolling the DDR to check things while it is not tallied on program.

Kris
    TriCasters: Mini, 410, 460, 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    Replay: 3Play 820
    CG: LiveText3 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52

Yep,

In the settings you turn on follow program video on the input then click the gear next to it. Select all the inputs you want it to follow (cams 1-8) and leave it disabled for DDR. You can then do the same on DDR to only follow its self to be safe. If needed you can route the DDR to an aux audio bus and feed that to the house if you do imag or want the house to hear the advert. This allows you to create a mix minus so you don't send the microphones back to them. In this case you would also need them to send you a mix minus of just the microphones and not your own DDR

Quote Originally Posted by stp_productions View Post
    Yep,

In the settings you turn on follow program video on the input then click the gear next to it. Select all the inputs you want it to follow (cams 1-8) and leave it disabled for DDR. You can then do the same on DDR to only follow its self to be safe. If needed you can route the DDR to an aux audio bus and feed that to the house if you do imag or want the house to hear the advert. This allows you to create a mix minus so you don't send the microphones back to them. In this case you would also need them to send you a mix minus of just the microphones and not your own DDR
    Ok guys...I'm on my way to the venu to test this out. Cross your fingers. Oh you guys are bound to be right so don't bother actually crossing your fingers. The only other time I tried this I didn't set it up correctly and when I went tow another camera, I lost all sound.

Here I Go...
    Tricaster 860 and CS
    3Play 330 and CS

Sony PMW-EX3
    5-Sony HXR-NX5
    Sony Z1-U
    FCP7 & FCPX NLEs
    2-AJA KI PROs
    BM-ATEM 1ME Production Studio
    BM-HyperDeck Shuttle recorder