Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: modeling a human head

modeling a human head

Hi

I am looking for some tips in Lightwave 2018. I use a sub divided to make a human face (head)
    I am having difficulty in modeling the areas around the nose and eyes, I am struggling with keeping the shape of the skull/head around the eyes and nose in correct shape and proportion. I have looked at various videos and tutorials and I can not keep the areas in the shape and proportion. I appreciate some tips or references to overcome this difficulty.

Rizwan

LightWave Fan Boi
    Blog Entries
    My recommedation is to buy Dan Ablan's excellent book:

Inside LightWave 7
    ISBN-10: 0735711348
    ISBN-13: 978-0735711341

It's not the most up to date book on LightWave (it only covers LW7) but it has probably one of the best tutorials on modeling a human head and is still relevant with all versions of LW.

Youtube videos >
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...LightWave+head

remember to study the polyflow,
    an example >

Last edited by erikals; 10-07-2019 at 12:41 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

eye area and other flows >

and always keep as low amount of polys as possible when doing SubD modeling.
    Last edited by erikals; 10-07-2019 at 12:47 AM.

William Vaughan, a previous LW character modelling expert, has just released a fantastic and very reasonably priced PDF resource for modeling a human head available here. The book is software agnostic and will definitely help you. Don't be fooled by any chosen cartoonish aesthetics in the gallery, the heads achievable can be extremely realistic as necessary and handle any ethnicity, and that Vaughan knack of making a daunting subject look seemingly easy is definitely there with nice clear diagrams showing every single step (though please note it is literally for the head and you will need your own approach for hair and eyes). Got to be preferable to opening ZBrush, making a dent in a high-rez ball, then just closing ZBrush again.

Otherwise, the Dan Ablan books Inside Lightwave 6 and Inside Lightwave 7 (mentioned above by Shabazzy) have chapters on LW head modelling, using a point-to-point technique by Stu Aitken, the results are the book covers, and the expressive Lightwave 7 image looks stunning to this day in my view.

Otherwise there is excellent material in Essential Lightwave V9 by Steve Warner (it really is remarkable how many LW queries often lead back to that one book !). Otherwise this Darrin Lile approach mentions LW as the inspiration. But if you are prepared to spend money, probably a good idea to get the William Vaughan book because it is the result of years of experience, yet only just released and people are already getting good results quickly and posting their work.
    Last edited by TheLexx; 10-07-2019 at 05:49 AM.

LightWave Fan Boi
    Blog Entries
    In addition to all of the above, you WILL need to have a VERY STRONG grasp of human anatomy and fine art techniques in order to truly understand how, why and where facial features and muscle groups work the way they work in order to not only get great anatomy reproduction but also for polygon placement and flow for smooth animation morphs.

In other words, having the foundations of art principles goes a long way. A great book to check out is:

Title: Drawing The Head and Hands
    Author: Andrew Loomis
    ISBN-10: 0857680978
    ISBN-13: 978-0857680976

Alternatively (or in addition to) online courses that teach the Frank Reilly method.

LightWave Fan Boi
    Blog Entries
    On a slight tangent, my preferred method of creating heads (and other organic models) is by utilising the spline based modelling method. For me, this technique feels a lot like drawing with a pencil and paper.

Am I the only one?

Very few use Splines for organic models these days.

Personally i don't like them for anything other than hard modeling.

The OP has a lot to think over so the additional tangent is welcome, and probably helpful. I have some Splinegod material, criminally underused, which I now feel motivated to look at again. Erikals, was the user exodus from splines due to general preference, or is there some bottleneck I should be aware of ?

I got some of Dan Ablans book ..lightwave 7, which covers Detailed out approach, meaning making simple shapes with disc and box and extending edges, points or poly to form a shape.
    Often treated as parts where yo start with the eye or the mouth and perform shaping by isolating these parts till they are shaped as close to what is needed, then joined, this however requires backdrop images, in my point of view..a bit of time consuming in the process and you will not have the main shape defined by your own mind..thus the reference backdrop images needed.

splines may also need a certain level of backdrop imagary, inside lightwave 8 Dan covers the approach of direct subpatch and non subpatch (box modeling approach) like William Vaughan, and extend, smoothshifting etc to model the shape of a giraffe, but he also covers the spline method of making a head.

Not sure what kind of approach Dan may have liked the most, I think it may depend on if you actually have a referenced shape that you need to model as close as possible, and perhaps he would use detailed approach or splines for that depending on the shape.

When doing figures directly from your memory or doodling, I suppose box modeling would be to prefer ..highly individual though, box modeling seem to me to be as close to real world sculpting in the sense thay you lay out the bigger blocks and shapes first, then add detail, and it becomes more closer to sculpting as you do in zbrush, blender or mudbox and 3d coat etc, though that is also different in the sense that you unlike the box modeling approach,you need to retopo it all and need extra time for that.

I personally havenīt had enough stamina and havenīt found the right method for me to do good enough organic models, though this shouldnīt be difficult for me since I consider myself having a very good sense of form and since I was a kid modeled a lot in clay, and did so some years ago including making plaster cast from plasteline.
    I think if I were to put some more effort in it and a lot of more focus on just modeling, I may end up with something really good..and I guess it would go the route of sculpting from a denser mesh and then retopo, once I have decided which retopo workflow and tool I should go with.

Taron ..our crazy dude in the best sense, did some awesome stuff with lightwave and characters and he had a very relaxed way of modeling with as few tools as possible, mostly working with the box modeling approach, he has since then kind of left Lightwave behind it seems, he did a series called the secrets of organic modeling which was on Gnomon Workshop, but I do not think it still is available, I think they may have had some issues between them on Copyrights for his work.
    I am not sure, but I think he switched completely to zbrush..but I do not know if he still uses lightwave or something else for bas meshes or some other tasks.

Not sure if he still can sell his "secrets of organic modeling" or if that is out of the picture due to issues with Gnomon? it is however covering Lightwave as the tool for modeling.

http://pixologic.com/interview/artist/archive/taron/
    http://www.taron.de/

Edit...
    I wonder if Victors LW-Cad and itīs nurbs, splines would make it easier today to connect and fill spline patches than native spline patching, with splines and patching you have to be careful of spline start and end and how they are connected with two or more splines, and in which order to select them to patch them correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    Very few use Splines for organic models these days.

Personally i don't like them for anything other than hard modeling.
    And hair

a free non narrative old box modeling follow me tute of a head...

I whole-heartedly agree with the recommendation of Andrew Loomis's books.
    I also found Bay Raitt's explanations of edge loops to be quite illuminating...

http://www.theminters.com/misc/artic...ived-surfaces/

Derek

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    For a while, splines were a nightmare to work with: if you didn't get them EXACTLY right, no patch resulted.

At some point, they became a doddle, almost bullet-proof (I was very surprised), but I suspect that the boat had already sailed, and too many subd techniques had gained cachet. And unlike subd, spline modeling wasn't dynamically changeble.

If more people had adopted TruArts spline tools, things might have gone another way.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

[QUOTE=prometheus;1579496]

nevermind

But yeah, true arts easyspline is nice...
    http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Dire...Ins/EasySpline

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast