Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: modeling a human head

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Erikals, was the user exodus from splines due to general preference, or is there some bottleneck I should be aware of ?
    Speed.

SubD modeling organic objects with a good polyflow is faster.

Its hard to explain with words, so the best way to figure it out is to try both.

That said, nothing wrong using splines if the end result is nice and the time doesn't matter all to much.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

in this day and age, really, you sculpt in ZBrush or Blender and retopo, done, no one in their right mind does this way any more, infact many people don't even go this far, they simply use a premade asset and pull it around until they get what they are after.

absolutely true.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry_g View Post
    in this day and age, really, you sculpt in ZBrush or Blender and retopo, done, no one in their right mind does this way any more, infact many people don't even go this far, they simply use a premade asset and pull it around until they get what they are after.
    do you know of wether william vaughan also have adapted sculpt then retopo and have left the old techniques?

I don't dispute what Gerry says because I do see that workflow much promoted nowadays, but I do think that in practice some of that is due to a perception of "industry standard" over necessarily the best approach for a job in hand. I think there is value trying to discover how far a spline vs subd vs sculpting workflow can really be pushed, then decide when might genuinely be best to choose one over the other. Quality vs time - William can knock up a head with his method in around 15 to 30 minutes (!), and these are still quality meshes. For the face of a young woman or a child maybe that would suffice. For a more weathered face, there may still be good options without needing a sculpt - clean mesh, animation friendly, no retopology, time saved, etc..
    Last edited by TheLexx; 10-08-2019 at 04:13 PM.

Interesting discussion.
    I'm not disagreeing with Gerry, and his observations about current trends, but it's worth considering that modelling a human head is a very worthwhile training exercise to help learn the importance of good poly flow for both modelling and animation, which can be applied when creating other organic models.
    Likewise, being able to draw a head and get the proportions correct using a pencil and paper before switching on your computer is a very worthwhile skill to have.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12