Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LWCAd 2018.3 is out

LWCAd 2018.3 is out

Wow.

I was looking at Viktor's youtube page today for a tool I hadn't used before (Line Magnet) ) & noticed a new vid. Didn't snag it at he time, but a few hour later got an e-mail announcing the update so got the 41+ min vid.

Again, Wow.

And he only calls it a point update.

https://youtu.be/yQzudOrfXKk

Even non LWCad owners are gonna want to see this.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Looks like the NURBS handling is better and now works properly with adding and removing points.

Does the LWCAD 2018 version for LightWave still uses the licensing bound to the LW key, same as the LWCAD 4 and 5 version?

(I have the LWCAD 2018 version for Cinema 4D and LWCAD needs to be activated online and then works completely offline, but only on one machine until the license is moved)

Yes, LWCAD appears to be still tied to the LW key.

There is some sort of online activation option but I use the manual method.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Yes, LWCAD appears to be still tied to the LW key.

There is some sort of online activation option but I use the manual method.
    Thank you raymondtrace, upgraded!

This version has reverted to just the manual install, and doesn't require to be in a WTools folder under Newtek/Plugins now either. I just left my presets where they were.

Still has manual or online registration.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Nurbs 'softener' stuff looks sublime!

Well once again I'm pretty disappointed how LWCAD works in its newest version in LightWave 2019.1.4.

- Curve close point has a different height information than other segments / points
    - when extruded it becomes obvious that one of the points is completely offset
    - rounder crashes LW almost every time
    - rounder seems very basic in its functionality
    - profile produces alot of polygon (and shading) errors, unusable
    - the whole suite is not intuituve to use

Too bad, I hoped the new TR mesh fixes the old issues with NURBS.

Seems completely bugged for such basic functionality. The only thing the works are very basic shapes.

I would be interested if anyone was able to create a complex NURBS model using LWCAD and maybe some good tutorial videos.

New TR tools are only new tools with suffix TR. Not every tool.

Curve close point - please use support and send me screenshot of this case with numeric and snap panel visible.
    Rounder TR version will be replaced with the next free update. You probably didn't watch the video.
    Profile is probably most useful tool, and you are really first person who complains. Please be specific.

Quote Originally Posted by W-Tools View Post
    New TR tools are only new tools with suffix TR. Not every tool.

Curve close point - please use support and send me screenshot of this case with numeric and snap panel visible.
    Rounder TR version will be replaced with the next free update. You probably didn't watch the video.
    Profile is probably most useful tool, and you are really first person who complains. Please be specific.
    Thank you. I already created some bug reports but will do again if required with screenshots. Here however a quick view of what I mean.

However I don't see a difference in the features about being TR Mesh or not, I imported the LWCAD 2018.3 menu entries but don't see anything about TR. And as a user I shouldn't need to think about different types of geometry.

Maybe I'm using LWCAD completely wrong but in other applications, spline / curve usage, lofting, patching, interpolation, rounding etc is a very intuitive and simple task to do.

Curve close point issue:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LWCAD_01.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	157.7 KB 
ID:	146097

Name:	LWCAD_02.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	146098

Name:	LWCAD_03.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	176.0 KB 
ID:	146099

Profile geometry:

Name:	LWCAD_Profile.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	292.7 KB 
ID:	146100

Primitive mesh (in this example simple Sphere) move point issue (create a Sphere and just drag one point without changing weight):

Name:	LWCAD_Sphere01.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	225.3 KB 
ID:	146101

Name:	LWCAD_Sphere02.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	231.1 KB 
ID:	146102

Primitive mesh rounding, for example Cylinder:

Name:	LWCAD_Cyl_Round.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	170.0 KB 
ID:	146103

Here an example of the mixture of different geometry types within the same mesh (and due to that functions like Edge Refine don't work on all of them):

Name:	LWCAD_Geo_Mix01.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	236.2 KB 
ID:	146104

Name:	LWCAD_Geo_Mix02.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	217.5 KB 
ID:	146105

Why not ONE type of geometry / point / curve with individual interpolation modes like in other applications?

Another usability issue is also that the OpenGL element is not visible again when zoomed in.

So again. Please skip reports regarding Round tool on NURBS surfaces, it will be replaced very soon!

For reporting bugs, please use regular bug reporting system on lwcad.com : http://www.lwcad.com/html/support/su...k_question.php
    This is not the best place for reporting LWCAD problems, I am visiting this forum very randomly.
    Also please always try to attach the object and also screenshot of the problem if possible.
    Any reported bug or problem is very helpful. But I have to be able to repeat it on my side.

Quote Originally Posted by W-Tools View Post
    So again. Please skip reports regarding Round tool on NURBS surfaces, it will be replaced very soon!

For reporting bugs, please use regular bug reporting system on lwcad.com : http://www.lwcad.com/html/support/su...k_question.php
    This is not the best place for reporting LWCAD problems, I am visiting this forum very randomly.
    Also please always try to attach the object and also screenshot of the problem if possible.
    Any reported bug or problem is very helpful. But I have to be able to repeat it on my side.
    Thank you. I will look forward to the updated Rounder.

As you see in the screenshots, these are simple examples that are created with a few clicks from scratch, not a specific problem with a complex mesh.

I created the bug reports already before posting here with the steps explained to reproduce but didn't add screenshots or objects (because it's basic issues as I explained above).

OK Michael I will reply to all your reported issues here:
    I will skip Round tool problems on nurbs surfaces, because this will be replaced.

1. Curve close point works as it should work. The problem is that you are trying to create a flat nurbs surface on a closed curve which is not flat. But it is still a valid result.
    2. Draq one point of the nurbs sphere. There is absolutely no problem. Try to do the same in Rhinoceros and you'll get exactly the same result.
    3. Edge Refine is the tool for add-remove nurbs knots. Again try Rhinoceros tools Add and Remove knot. If you want to add points on the edge, you need to use Point tool.

NURBS tutorial is very needed, I am aware of it, but it makes no sense to do it now with an incomplete tool-set. I will do a step-bye step tutorial how to use lwcad for generic 3D nurbs modeling, probably at the end of 2020 cycle. I believe that all basic nurbs surface tools will be completed by that time.

Thank you Viktor for answering.

Yes, tutorials would be very helpful.

Maybe the problem is that I think NURBS should work like Bezier splines. If Rhino works that way I'd never want t to use it since I have brilliant Spline tools in other applications that are very intuitive.

1. When I create a curve that is closed in the top ortho view I expect all points to be on the same level (flat spline). But maybe NURBS works differently.

2. When dragging out a point on a spherical spline shape I dont expect it to result in the whole shape having sharp edges. When doing that in another application using Bezier curves it works as expected.

3. When I modify a spline shape in another application I don't need to know what type of geometry each edge is, all tools work the same. Some points have linear interpolation and others soft, which can be changed anytime to create the desired shape.

All in all, the LWCAD 5.1 / 5.5 to 2018 for LightWave upgrade is a step backward for me because Rounder is completely broken (even for polygonal meshes it always crashes except in Chamfer mode), NURBS tools are incomplete to be useful and I don't see many useful other Archviz additions except maybe Windows, I'd like to see more of these.

I have never got used to the new selection mode in LWCAD 5.x and 2018.x releases so I still use LWCAD 4.51 for most of my work since it's selection is much more like Lightwave native. I have both versions installed so for some projects I use LWCAD 2018 for specific tasks like if I need the autoroof tool.

Did anyone else find the new way of selecting in LWCAD to feel a bit disjointed and disorienting from the rest of Lightwave when working or is it just me? Maybe I will have to give it another try now that 2018.3 is out and see how it goes.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Yes. NURBS selection felt a little alien in the last release. But I have not tried this latest LWcad. Awesome potential!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast