Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LWCAd 2018.3 is out

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    Did anyone else find the new way of selecting in LWCAD to feel a bit disjointed and disorienting from the rest of Lightwave when working or is it just me?
    Yes - In all honesty I think that was a design mistake on Viktors' part.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

There'll be an official patch release Monday I was told by Viktor. Don't know what all it will address but selection will be one item after I reported a bug with that a few days ago.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Did anyone else find the new way of selecting in LWCAD to feel a bit disjointed and disorienting from the rest of Lightwave when working or is it just me? Maybe I will have to give it another try now that 2018.3 is out and see how it goes.
    I'm still finding the "click near final element, then drag until it snaps to existing element" awkward, and continually accidentally go ahead and click directly on the final element instead (which effectively starts another section/segment with the clicked element as another "middle element", rather than terminating at that element). Is that what you meant?

I understand the semantics for the terminal element need to be distinct from just creating another "middle element", but I'm still finding it quite difficult to adapt to the chosen mechanism there. That "final drag" part can be finicky, depending on snapping settings, and too often my "nearby click" still winds up being treated as if clicking directly on the element itself (instead of slightly away from it in order to drag to it).

(Sorry if that was too vague, the mechanism is tricky to describe but used all over LWCAD now, let me know and I can try describing it more clearly)

Anyone else having issues with that mechanic?
    Last edited by jwiede; 10-12-2019 at 05:12 AM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    I'm still finding the "click near final element, then drag until it snaps to existing element" awkward, and continually accidentally go ahead and click directly on the final element instead (which effectively starts another section/segment with the clicked element as another "middle element", rather than terminating at that element). Is that what you meant?

I understand the semantics for the terminal element need to be distinct from just creating another "middle element", but I'm still finding it quite difficult to adapt to the chosen mechanism there. That "final drag" part can be finicky, depending on snapping settings, and too often my "nearby click" still winds up being treated as if clicking directly on the element itself (instead of slightly away from it in order to drag to it).

(Sorry if that was too vague, the mechanism is tricky to describe but used all over LWCAD now, let me know and I can try describing it more clearly)

Anyone else having issues with that mechanic?
    I guess I should have been more clear on what I meant. I find the newer "smart selection" way seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=HZBinS5QLaE using ctrl & shift a bit hard to get used to and feels very alien to the way everything else works. At the same time I understand that this system gives users more control over various things. I will have to give it another try though and see if I can get used to it eventually. Maybe I will encounter what you describe once I start using the latest version more since I have used 4.51 for almost everything up until now. I only used LWCAD 5.x and 2018 for a short time before returning to 4.51 for production work. I hope to make a switch over to using the latest version if I can get used to it.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

I guess I should have been more clear on what I meant. I find the newer "smart selection" way seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=HZBinS5QLaE using ctrl & shift a bit hard to get used to and feels very alien to the way everything else works.
    I guess I find that a bit less of a problem because I've got other 3p plugins that override modifier behaviors as well, and apparently I kind of mentally segregate their "modal" uses of modifiers, so it doesn't bother me as much. It could also be that because I've got other pkgs (C4D, even Modo in certain cases) which use modifiers in a similar manner, it (apparently) doesn't require much mental adjustment for me to use.

What I find awkward about the issue I mentioned is that it changes a more fundamental modeless behavior w.r.t. how you do basic construction, and it doesn't work like either main LW, nor any of the other pkgs or plugins I use, so it always feels a bit "jarring" in that way. I get it after a try or two, but it always requires a bit of mental "adjustment".

Given the limited input manipulation facilities for 3p plugins in LW, I do understand why Viktor & co. have to use these kinds of approaches, but they're still issues. Unfortunately, they're kind of between a rock and a hard place when it comes to UX.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

I can confirm that with the latest LWCAD fixpack Rounder works now as expected. Thanks Viktor!

Yes, I'm still running LW 9.6 and LWCAD works like a charm, though I'm looking forward to upgrade my beloved LW license asap!

I have never got used to the new selection mode in LWCAD 5.x and 2018.x releases so I still use LWCAD 4.51 for most of my work since it's selection is much more like Lightwave native. I have both versions installed so for some projects I use LWCAD 2018 for specific tasks like if I need the autoroof tool.

Did anyone else find the new way of selecting in LWCAD to feel a bit disjointed and disorienting from the rest of Lightwave when working or is it just me? Maybe I will have to give it another try now that 2018.3 is out and see how it goes.
    yes, same here. have other versions but stuck with 4.51 for those reasons

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12