Thread: Image Projections in LW 2018

Image Projections in LW 2018

Hi,

After a long time of putting off getting stuck into LW 2018, having upgraded from 11.6, and fearing node-based textures and other big jumps in the learning curve were going to really tax my aging brain, I've just started seriously putting some time into getting up to speed.

I've just completed a tutorial which uses legacy hypervoxels and node-based texturing, and now I'd like to add another object to the scene. The new object requires front projection mapping for an image sequence.

But I can't seeme to implement front projection in LW 2018. I can find it with no problem in 11.6 - just by clicking the colour Texture button of the relevant surface panel. So I am assuming that the new texturing / surfacing system has relocated it or perhaps it's not available when the new texturing / surfacing system is in use, since the surface panel for the new object won't allow me to click on the colour texture button.

I've looked for other tutorials and from the documentation, I conclude it is possible but nobody says where to find the necessary settings dialogues.

I'd be hugely grateful if anyone can point me either to where I need to look or what I need to do to make the colour texture button accessible. I'm sure it's just my complete bewilderment regarding nodes that's causing my trouble!

Thanks in advance!

I don't use it that often, but see if this gets you going:

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2019/...ont-projection
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

UPDATE ON THE ABOVE:

I have established it was just some issue with the computer that was not letting me press the colour texture button. A reboot sorted it and that is now working, but I still have a problem.

If I select to colour the new object using a projection, instead of just appearing on the object, the projection overwrites the entire render, so if I press F9, I just end up with a still frame from the video, rather than the video frame appearing on my object.

What have I got wrong? Ny node structure is Projection panel linked to the Principled BSDF Projection panel's 'Projection' input and then the 'Material' output from there goes to the Material panel's 'Material' input.

Thanks!

I'd already found that page, but thanks anyway- and I suspect maybe I don't need front projection, but to be able to project the image using maybe planar projection? If so, I am still at a bit of a loss as to how.

Maybe post a screen shot of what you're wanting to do from 11.6. I only have 2019.13 on laptop so can't check. In the mean time, check your sequence properties in the Image Panel that it's actually set as a sequence.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    Maybe post a screen shot of what you're wanting to do from 11.6. I only have 2019.13 on laptop so can't check. In the mean time, check your sequence properties in the Image Panel that it's actually set as a sequence.
    OK - will try to make a screen shot, but the scene is all set up in 2018, not 11.6, so I'll need to set up a dummy scene in 11.6 to illustrate what I want to do.

I can confirm have the image sequence properly imported as a sequence into Image Editor, that is fine. I can step through it using the timeline.

Here's what I hope is a more coherent description of what I want to do:

I have added a small object into an existing scene, and I want that object to act as a small movie screen. It is located in one small area of the scene. I want the movie it shows to be the frame sequence in Image Editor.

What I don't seem to be able to do is to direct that image sequence ONLY to the movie screen object itself - at the moment, when I press F9, LW just renders a huge frame of the image sequence at a size that takes up the whole 1920 x 1080 camera view (i.e. it is rendering that one image in front of the actual scene, like some sort of stage curtain, so I can't see any of the objects in the scene itself. Does that make sense?

I have now disconnected all the surfacing nodes, but it still happens.

Completely baffled now! I'll go away and do some more searching and testing!

Thanks for your patience!

try to use the image sequence as a texture for your screen object. Use an image node, planar projection (or UV), plug that into colour and luminous colour in principled. should work.
    Punish your Machine -242-

Many thanks to all.

I completely screwed up with a lot of the problem I was describing because somehow I'd managed to enable a different camera without realising it, and was unknowingly looking through that. Total beginner mistake (so-o-o embarrassing!) and I should have thought to check that, but my unfamiliarity with 2018 made me think I was doing something wrong with nodes.

I've now got an entirely different issue, gonna have to post that as a new thread.

Good deal.
    There are a number of things that have moved around or changed that still trip me up particularly if I haven't used a certain tool or function for awhile. That'll be considerably less when you go to 2019.x