Thread: How to make objects glow in LW2019

How to make objects glow in LW2019

Using the old LW 11.6+ system, making edges fade to transparent and making windows in spacecraft glow was easy. However I'm struggling to find how to do the same things in LW 2019.
    Anyone point me to some tuts or suggestions.
    Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by genesis1 View Post
    Using the old LW 11.6+ system, making edges fade to transparent and making windows in spacecraft glow was easy. However I'm struggling to find how to do the same things in LW 2019.
    Anyone point me to some tuts or suggestions.
    Thanks in advance.
    This is (to me) a bit ambiguous.

do you mean both how To make edges transparent? and how to make them glow as in the old system? or do you mean you actually used the edge fade to transparent for faking a glow?

There´s not any difference between 2015 lightwave and 2018 in the glow process, the bloom and glow is still the same in image processing.

The transparent shader is gone, I can not recall if someone made a replacement shader within nodes for that.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    This is (to me) a bit ambiguous.

do you mean both how To make edges transparent? and how to make them glow as in the old system? or do you mean you actually used the edge fade to transparent for faking a glow?

There´s not any difference between 2015 lightwave and 2018 in the glow process, the bloom and glow is still the same in image processing.

The transparent shader is gone, I can not recall if someone made a replacement shader within nodes for that.

Yes, like the old system that had the glow button and you could adjust the amount of glow you wanted on each object, like a planet atmosphere an engine on a spacecraft.
    In LW 2019 that is all gone. So was wondering how to achieve the same effect. Was so easy before.

Found out how to do it using the image filters glow and bloom.

Found out how to do it using the image filters glow and bloom.
    Gone? but you found it...what was the difference in workflow that made you not find it in the first place?

.. like a planet atmosphere an engine on a spacecraft. ....
    Be aware that a planets atmosphere is not exactly 'glow' it is subsurface scattering. Thew glow around an engine is a lens phenomena so that happens after the image has been rendered. I know we would all use glow to simulate an atmosphere but that quickly becomes unusable. Back in the day I used and slightly larger sphere to simulate atmosphere. That gave me much more control of scale and looks.

Now we have the awesomeness of actual volumetrics and realistic scattering! Check this out:

Glow with Bloom and Corona is based on luminosity intensity as a lens effect most of the time. Unless you have foggy streets and street lights that need casting volumetrics... anyway, experiment with it and you'll get it

Quote Originally Posted by peebeearr View Post
    Be aware that a planets atmosphere is not exactly 'glow' it is subsurface scattering. Thew glow around an engine is a lens phenomena so that happens after the image has been rendered. I know we would all use glow to simulate an atmosphere but that quickly becomes unusable. Back in the day I used and slightly larger sphere to simulate atmosphere. That gave me much more control of scale and looks.

Now we have the awesomeness of actual volumetrics and realistic scattering! Check this out:

Glow with Bloom and Corona is based on luminosity intensity as a lens effect most of the time. Unless you have foggy streets and street lights that need casting volumetrics... anyway, experiment with it and you'll get it
    How can you define a planets atmosphere as subsurface scattering..when there is not surface to speak of in the atmosphere? (unless you refer to the 3d techniques used with surface scattering)
    Atmosphere as a volumetric medium which scatters light in a spectrum, that I can grasp.