Thread: LW 2019 hypervoxels reflection

LW 2019 hypervoxels reflection

Is there a way to make hypervoxels particles reflect?
    That is, if I created a ring system around a planet using hv, can I get all those tiny particles to reflect another object above them.

I'm not sure why it's not working in your scene but I do see Hypervoxels reflected in 2019.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HVReflect.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	146092

The above is using Volume but this works with Surface too. Maybe the reflective surface is reflecting HV but it's not apparent enough with the settings you have?

Just a suggestion but would it make more sense to use Instances with multiple random 'rock' objects instead? That will also reflect and I think it should render much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    I'm not sure why it's not working in your scene but I do see Hypervoxels reflected in 2019.

The above is using Volume but this works with Surface too. Maybe the reflective surface is reflecting HV but it's not apparent enough with the settings you have?

Just a suggestion but would it make more sense to use Instances with multiple random 'rock' objects instead? That will also reflect and I think it should render much faster.
    I think he wants the Hypervoxels to do the reflecting not for them to appear in a reflection. Like when Voyager flies over a section of a planets rings in the opening credits.
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Good idea, will work on that thanks. 👍

Sorry...I misunderstood.

Assuming the rings around the planet are not very thick (like Saturn's,) and the particles aren't huge, I would try that as a comp gag. First, set up a reflecting plane at the same position as the ring to catch the object's reflection (i.e., a spacecraft.) Now in comp, use the alpha from your HV pass as a matte for the reflection pass. Mix in some fractals so the reflection doesn't look too flat, maybe add a tiny bit of displacement. It's a cheat but it should work.

That said, I think HV can reflect too. But the above trick should be quicker to render and finish.

Just did quick a test and, yes, HVs do still reflect objects. (It's been a while since I last used Hyper Voxels.)

Just did quick a test and, yes, HVs do still reflect objects. (It's been a while since I last used Hyper Voxels.)
    Yes same here. I couldn't get hv to reflect but I was actually working on a similer idea to what you suggested as hv rings take a lot of render time. So using a ring object with transparency map to show the ring image and to capture reflection and then hv over the top with less particles to show rocks/particles closer to camera.
    Last edited by genesis1; 10-03-2019 at 02:31 PM.