Thread: Tricaster Crashed - How Do I Repair MP4?

Tricaster Crashed - How Do I Repair MP4?

We were recording our weekly show and the Tricaster crashed. We found the MP4 archive, but it's corrupted. We tried to load it into the Tricaster and play it while recording, but the Tricaster won't play the file. What can we do to recover the file? I found this article:

https://support.newtek.com/hc/en-us/...ted-Recording-

But after following the instructions the Newtek Info File never appeared in the folder holding the corrupted archive file. Now that folder is also greyed out in Explorer and we have no idea why. When we tried to change the settings back the folder completely disappeared so we set them back again.

Anyone have any ideas? We also stream the show so we have the archived stream file (F4V), but we've gone through this process before and after two days of work converting that odd file the video and audio are terrible and basically unusable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by slgshane; 10-01-2019 at 06:52 PM.

Buehler? Buehler? So I'm guessing there's no way to fix this and there's no way to protect yourself from this happening in the future?

The MP4s are pretty vulnerable to not closing properly. Did you also record an .MOV using the regular record feature? That method in the link appears to refer to the older SD TriCasters. Are you still using one of those models? If you are using any of the more modern TriCasters and if you have the .MOV version recorded, you can try and bring that into the DDR. That can sometimes "heal" a broken clip, but I don't think that works for the MP4s. Just the full-quality MOVs.

Kris
    TriCasters: Mini, 410, 460, 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    Replay: 3Play 820
    CG: LiveText3 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52

We do not record Quicktimes because they're gigantic files that fill up the hard drive in a couple weeks. We have a Tricaster Mini. Yeah, we tried bringing the MP4 into the Tricaster to repair it, but it didn't work. The Tricaster can't even play the file.

We converted the stream file using the VLC player, but the video quality is terrible and the audio is buggy. Basically it's unusable.

Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Thank you!

Corrupted mp4s are tricky, I have sometimes has luck giving the MP4 to ffmpeg and let it re-encode. I would recommend recording mov as well and as soon as you validate the MP4 and are about to start the next show you then remove it in a rolling fashion. A safety net and a hard drive with some capacity.

Another option is having an external recorder archiving as well. We have a Blackmagic 7" monitor that also records the video via SDI output off the tricaster. It records to an SD card. It's our second level backup for those times where a system may crash or we accidently delete a file we shouldn't. It saved us a few times. As a rule after a broadcast we upload our version recorded internally in the tricaster to our webcasting company and also copy it to an external storage drive. Once both of those are completed we reformat the SD card in our external recorder and reuse. With that setup a system crash that corrupts an MP4 would still give us a usable file on our recorder. You don't need an expensive broadcast digital recorder. Our little black magic recorders were about $400 plus a few 256gb or 512gb SD cards. They are great recorders that are very portable and solve a problem inexpensively.
    Philip Hinkle
    State Bar of Wisconsin

TriCaster 460 and Certified Operator
    JVC GY-HM750 2-4 cams

Quote Originally Posted by slgshane View Post
    We do not record Quicktimes because they're gigantic files that fill up the hard drive in a couple weeks. We have a Tricaster Mini. Yeah, we tried bringing the MP4 into the Tricaster to repair it, but it didn't work. The Tricaster can't even play the file.

We converted the stream file using the VLC player, but the video quality is terrible and the audio is buggy. Basically it's unusable.

Absolutely one of my biggest complaints about this system! IMHO I should be able to set the output format to whatever codec I choose at whatever bitrate I choose. I have no need for a 2.5 hour 125gb master, a high bitrate h.264 is plenty good enough, infact we can get better compression to quality ratio out of a DNX or ProRes LT.

I have so little faith in the stability of this device and its ability to record a reilable master I am being forced to drop another $2000 on a Hyperdeck. LOL I had to pull from Youtube to use as an archive! I mean c'mon now.

I am pretty frustrated right now. I "upgraded" to AE3 on a TC8000 and have had nothing but issues with the secondary AND primary encoding/recording channels. I have had more corrupt files in the last three months than I had in the last three years! Why they ever moved "encode" over to the "stream" control is beyond me, THAT is the only one I used! When encode was in the "Record" control a master wasn't necessary, I could record at the lower bit rate MP4 and it gave me individual control over start/stop of the stream. Now both function are tied to the same interface control, pardon my French but this is so fk'd now. Ugh.

Updating again, I see they just dropped a new build 3 days ago.
    Last edited by JohnnyRandom; 10-11-2019 at 10:21 AM.

I hear you, I use a hyperdeck shuttle that I have had for a while. That was a sub $1,000 recording device but its still large file. I do use the Stream engine on the TC1 to record h264 masters of the file but if I lose power or other wise that can be compromised. And yes, I wish you could start/stop the various destinations of the 2 streams at will vs a big start/stop. I think I put this in as a feature request once but I should probably revisit and articulate why.I usually still do a higher quality record on the tricaster as a backup that can at least likely be recovered until just prior to the event (power outage or crash etc). And of course my hyperdeck shuttle recording on an SDI out so I have everything until the final frame.

I remember having to set 5 second pre-roll, syncing up tape sources and still doing transitions by hand. I remember using VT 4, even with all of it's problems it was still the balls and Lightwave and Modeler were like add-ons. I remember my Amiga 4000 and my first A/V hard drive, it was 2 gigs and that was huge.

Does the Tricaster have issues, sure, but is it the Tricasters that people lose power? When People update without first making a backup? Not making a full resolution recording, which they can them delete as a plan b?

No piece of technology is perfect, the Tricaster is pretty damn good.

Thanks
    Tricaster 460 Advanced Edition 2, Tricaster 40 V1
    2 Sony PXW-X70 Cameras, 2 Panasonic AG-HMC40P Cameras
    VSE 2.5 - VSE Advanced Edition, A bunch of Doo-Dads and cables