Thread: Cloth dynamics, parachute, tutorial?

May the sauce be with you starbase1's Avatar

Cloth dynamics, parachute, tutorial?

Hi All
    I've just about managed to get a waving flag I like, but now I'm trying to work out something considerably more challenging.

I'm working on animations of the Soviet Venera / Vega Venus probes, and I want to do a parachute opening at high speed. Also collapsing on landing, though I think that bit will be simpler., apart from the ropes anyway

Any suggestions on where I start?
    Paid for dynamics tutorials suggestions very welcome.

Nick
    Faith is the opposite of Intelligence.

Touched by his noodley appendage!
    My Lightwave Graphics & Downloads!!!

Could I ask how urgent is your deadline ?

Unfortunately, can not help out with tutorials..but just thinking morphs, and perhaps not full dynamics with cloth, either displace it or model morph it, or if you only inflate the parachute with clothfx, and save that as mdd or a morph.
    Just thinking that trying to have a real dynamic interaction with a high speed falling object and inflate at a specific tim..that emay be tricky to set up right...as opposed to trigger a morph when the time is right.

It's a bit vague! A few weeks?

Yes, much as I thought, all a bit tricky.

I'm thinking that dropping a parachute should be straightforward , deploying I can see getting messy.

I'm also looking for general cloth tutorials I think, a better understanding of general techniques should help me find a way to kludge it.

Quote Originally Posted by starbase1 View Post
    Yes, much as I thought, all a bit tricky.

I'm thinking that dropping a parachute should be straightforward , deploying I can see getting messy.

I'm also looking for general cloth tutorials I think, a better understanding of general techniques should help me find a way to kludge it.
    Do you have any good real reference links directly in your head or saved to showcase? I could search for it of course, but easier if you know exactly how the reference should be.

Quote Originally Posted by starbase1 View Post
    It's a bit vague! A few weeks?
    Thanks, I'll see if I've got anything anywhere then get back to you if successful.

Thanks - Right now I'm not at all sure how I want it to look, also I may well have to make compromises to match what is practical.

I see two main parts, opening of parachutes at high altitude, and landing.
    Landing should be clear enough, pretty much like any other dumb object coming down fairly softly by parachute, and chute falling down to the ground. Surface winds are light on Venus.

Opening up, and higher altitude a lot more tricky. Venera probes came in insanely fast and hard. This was because the atmosphere is very high pressure, has lots of sulphuric acid, and is 500+ degrees C
    Building it to survive at all was an insane challenge, and their target was about 1 hour on the surface. The heat shields hit 11,000c on the way down.

Difficult to work out what this would look like!

There is a tutorial for syflex or maybe it is just a demo scene that comes with the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-cXiAohXpI

around (0:52 seconds)

i do have/bought that video/scene content, but the scene doesn't load properly in 11.6.
    perhaps it loads alright in 2015>2019...
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I've animated a TON of parachutes deploying. Everything from the lines ejecting to 3 stage reefing of the chutes. Here is one animation I did. I don't remember if it's one of the better ones, but I found it first. https://youtu.be/cd--3KgoUzo

I used all morph maps to animate the chutes, no bones. Each row of vertices had it's own couple maps, one to deploy it downwind and the other for expanding it. It was a lot of work and took some time but I was really happy with the results. I got better and better at it each time I had to do it, although not it's been years since I've done one. Since SpaceX decided to stop using parachutes haha.

I don't know if that helps, but I just wanted to post that morph maps worked well for me.

Ben

Damn Nice!  
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by 4dartist View Post
    it's been years since I've done one. Since SpaceX decided to stop using parachutes haha.
    robots are taking our jobs