Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LightWave 3D« 2019.1.4 is Available Now

Quote Originally Posted by tburbage View Post
    I'm logging an issue ... I've tried everything I know to try with no luck. Odd that others are not being affected...
    I'm actually in the middle of renovations right now, so I haven't been able to test 2019.1.4 after install. But I had the real Windows 10 1903 installation just yesterday. The only things that were affected so far were the drivers for my Wi-Fi adapter and fan cooler.
    System:

i7-8086K / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM

Is there now a *requirement* that the Windows installer in a Windows 10/latest context be run as Administrator?...
    I've already installed so I can't confirm but I cannot imagine why it wouldn't require admin access. It is installing to protected directories and has an option to install a service. All that should be limited to an admin account. Unprivileged regular system users should not be able to install this software.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    I've already installed so I can't confirm but I cannot imagine why it wouldn't require admin access. It is installing to protected directories and has an option to install a service. All that should be limited to an admin account. Unprivileged regular system users should not be able to install this software.
    No, installations in Windows don't need to run as Administrator, that's what UAC is for, elevating the normal users' rights only were it is required instead of running everything as Admin.

UAC is a prompt to temporarily elevate a standard user to administrator.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...-control-works

"With the built-in UAC elevation component, standard users can easily perform an administrative task by entering valid credentials for a local administrator account."

By all means, you want any software installer to require admin access. If Windows did not require this, you'd be loaded with malware.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    UAC is a prompt to temporarily elevate a standard user to administrator.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...-control-works

"With the built-in UAC elevation component, standard users can easily perform an administrative task by entering valid credentials for a local administrator account."

By all means, you want any software installer to require admin access. If Windows did not require this, you'd be loaded with malware.
    Yes of course. What I meant is you don't need to use the "Run as Administrator" option because UAC takes care of that (asks you for permission).

Just updated, LW 2019.1.4 installed on all machines without any issues (Win10).

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Just updated, LW 2019.1.4 installed on all machines without any issues (Win10).
    Man, why me? :/

I logged my issue: https://www.lightwave3d.com/account/report/LWB-5535/
    and provided everything I could think of as supporting info, but the issue has been closed. Oh well...

Marander is right: when an installer needs to ask the user for permission to do something which requires elevated permissions, it should just use the ordinary UAC mechanism to obtain it. The .exe itself should not need to be Run As Administrator. When we use the term "ordinary user" in this context, we are talking about the typical CG software user who "owns" the machine, installed the OS, created the login accounts: is the Admin. The UAC process is then just a roadblock to malware in that even though the machine admin is actually installing, the need to physically provide that "yes, it's OK" input to the OS, confirming the software is believed to be safe, keeps automated malicious processes from installing bad stuff.

...Marander is right...
    Marander is not "right" because there is no debate happening between us. Marander and I have been discussing the same thing. My tiny brain cannot understand why both of you are trying to explain how you know that UAC is for "running as administrator" but you still seem confused about "running as administrator".

As noted in the link to microsoft.com: "By default, standard users and administrators access resources and run apps in the security context of standard users." You may be an admin on your system but most of your actions are as a standard user. That's why UAC prompts temporarily bump you out of that standard user context. This is why the .exe itself should be Run As Administrator (through whatever mechanism you choose to do that).

The 2019.1.4 installer correctly starts with a UAC prompt on normally configured Windows 10 systems. That UAC prompt asks if you want to run the installer as an administrator.

Why are you asking if "there now a *requirement* that the Windows installer in a Windows 10/latest context be run as Administrator?"

What prompts, other than the expected UAC prompt, are you receiving to ask this question with an obvious answer?

Is the installer busy being analyzed by your third party security software? Its execution might be on hold while the third party security software decompresses and analyzes the installer's contents. The low CPU usage and "endless loop" description sounds a lot like some type of sandboxing until a third party security software approves the installer.

The Modeler Layers panel problem is still there.
    Clicking in layers panel turns layers on/off, but if you click on the screen layer buttons, they turn on/off, but don’t change in the layers panel unless you open/close it.
    Maybe this is only a mac.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019 LWCad 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Markc View Post
    The Modeler Layers panel problem is still there.
    Clicking in layers panel turns layers on/off, but if you click on the screen layer buttons, they turn on/off, but don’t change in the layers panel unless you open/close it.
    Maybe this is only a mac.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is a Mac issue. I have the same problem (with LW2019), on both my iMac Pro desktop and my older MacBook Pro. I always keep my Statistics, Numeric, and Layers panels docked to the right side of my screen so it does trip me up occasionally. It's mostly just a minor annoyance, but frustrating all the same.

For some odd reason Lightwave can't remember where my license is located and keeps starting up in Discovery mode. I also tested opening 2019.1.3 and it has the same problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12