Thread: Using Digital Juice Virtual Sets in TriCaster?

Using Digital Juice Virtual Sets in TriCaster?

I know I'm pretty late to this party, but I finally got a Digital Juice subscription (working at a high school, purchases like that take some finagling because of the differences in how the school district and Digital Juice do business). I see they have a number of Virtual Sets for download, each in a mix of JPEG and PNG formats, editable in After Effects and PhotoShop. But do I still need the $1000 Virtual Set Editor to actually place these into the TriCaster? I've been using the same stock sets for many years and would love some new ones, but don't have the budget for the editing software if that's absolutely required to install third-party artwork like this. Also, I'm on a TC40 so that plays into it as well — older hardware No holographic sets or fancy layering and animation for me. Again — we're a school.

Keeping it positive, I am glad that I'm at least able to make my own A/B transitions without any extra paid software. I do enjoy making custom animated wipes. I just wish I could do sets just as easily (and for free). Any input on the set question would be appreciated.

—*Mike

The benefit of using the VSE software is that sets can have foreground and background objects (rear wall behind talent, desk in front of) and virtual monitors with a video source placed into it, stuff like that.

However, if you have background sets as a still image, you can simply use the default 2-Layer Set and just put the "set" background image on layer B (from GFX player) with Talent on layer A. Nothing fancy, but it's something. Not sure about TC40, but with newer TriCasters you'd still be able to do virtual zooms in and out in this configuration.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Thanks for the idea, Jeff — certainly something to consider.

The TC40 can have up to four levels of zoom on a virtual set, just no parallax or tilt/pan control like the newer, cooler sets can do.

— Mike

Hi there! We actually have VSE 2.0 and a subscription to Digital Juice. I've always assumed that the only way to use the Digital Juice virtual sets was to load them into a DDR and use them as a simple overlay. They look fine, but we can't load live "B" video into one of the virtual screens (Dropzones, in DJ parlance). Can the Digital Juice virtual sets in fact be loaded into VSE, and be made to work like the Newtek Virtual Sets? Thanks...