Thread: NDI 4 Virtual Input crashes when trying to launch.

NDI 4 Virtual Input crashes when trying to launch.

NDI 4's Virtual Input crashes after launching. The icon appears on the toolbar until I wave the mouse over it and then it disappears.

Here is the Application Error from the Application event log.

It does this on ALL my computers.

NDI 3.8's Virtual Input worked fine before.

Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Date: 9/24/2019 7:58:51 PM
    Event ID: 1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer:
    Description:
    Faulting application name: NDI Virtual Input.exe, version: 4.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5d7c8116
    Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.18362.267, time stamp: 0x080a13f7
    Exception code: 0xc0000409
    Fault offset: 0x000000000006d33e
    Faulting process id: 0x7c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d5733c6542c1c3
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\NewTek\NDI 4 Tools\Virtual Input\NDI Virtual Input.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
    Report Id: a8bb8a73-49d8-43d3-8702-a802b82bf865
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

You might try downloading NDI Tools 4 again, there was a new version released a few days after the initial release (the NDI in it is version 4.0.1, where as your shows 4.0.0). I'm not sure if there is anything different with NDI Virtual Input with this new NDI Tools 4, but I just tried it on my laptop and Skype was able to receive an image thru it.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

I downloaded the newer version and it still crashes the same way and with the same error on ALL my computers.

Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Date: 9/26/2019 6:32:17 PM
    Event ID: 1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: ZenBook
    Description:
    Faulting application name: NDI Virtual Input.exe, version: 4.0.1.0, time stamp: 0x5d829a86
    Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.18362.267, time stamp: 0x080a13f7
    Exception code: 0xc0000409
    Fault offset: 0x000000000006d33e
    Faulting process id: 0x37d4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d574c2a226a2d5
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\NewTek\NDI 4 Tools\Virtual Input\NDI Virtual Input.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
    Report Id: 6ab16d98-c8a4-4775-9a24-fa2902423149
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

I'd submit this information as bug report. You can email all of the information to [email protected]
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    I'd submit this information as bug report. You can email all of the information to [email protected]
    Will do!

Thank you!

I want to update the troubleshooting progress so far that I have been doing with Andrew at Newtek.

When I disconnect the network from the computer, I am now able to launch the NDI 4 Virtual Input application and access the popup menu on the ICON in the lower right taskbar. (With no NDI sources available, of course, since there is no network connectivity). If I re-launch the virtual input application with network connectivity available, the virtual input icon appears and then disappears again and logs the same exact errors in the Windows Application Event log as before.

It seems that maybe the Virtual Input for NDI 4.0 is crashing due to seeing something it doesn't like on the network? (Keep in mind that Virtual Input for NDI 3.8 does not have any issues)

How many other systems are on the network? Other systems can use mDNS to respond to queries, so it is possible that something else that isn't NDI is responding and causing an issue. If it is possible to disconnect each of the other systems and test it would help to narrow down what it is.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

I want to update you on my troubleshooting.

When I install NDI 4 Tools with the default options selected during the install, The Virtual Input application will crash after launch with the results previously mentioned.

If I install NDI 4 Tools with ONLY the virtual input application selected and everything else NOT selected (Installing ONLY the Virtual Input Application), then the Virtual Input application launches and is fully operational and can use it inside my applications (Skype..etc).

I have not had time to uninstall and reinstall the NDI 4 Tools package and selecting one application at a time for installation to find out which other NDI tool being installed is causing the Virtual Input application to crash..but eventually I will do so.

Bottom line: There is another NDI tool installation selection/application that is conflicting with the NDI Virtual Input application during the installation process.

There was supposedly a new version of NDI 4 Tools released. I downloaded it and still have the same issue with the default installation selections causing the Virtual Input Application to still crash as before. If I install the virtual input application by itself, it works fine. I have not had time to test which NDI tool/application is specifically conflicting with the Virtual Input tool during installation.