Thread: Embedding closed captions into YouTube Live

Question Embedding closed captions into YouTube Live

I am putting together up a live sports broadcasting setup for our high school. We've got the Tricaster TC1 and 3 NDI cameras, and we'll be broadcasting primarily via YouTube. Federal requirements necessitate that we have live captioning for our videos, but I can't seem to find a solid answer on how to do that. I know that the Tricaster itself doesn't offer this ability, but I know that there are options for embedding directly into the YouTube feed.

I'm having trouble finding (and frankly, understanding) the options out there, and how exactly they work. Cost is definitely a concern, and fixed-cost is better than pay-by-the-minute options, although either could work. Can someone guide me in the right direction?

U want to use in live mode? U need to translate in realtime or u already know about what they talking?

Wirecast Cloud is the cheapest thing I have found, its automated and can obviously misunderstand people and put in some crazy stuff. After that Viatech and Captionstar which are going to run you north of $100 an hour. youtube provides a icap url to skip the hardware. If not check out falcon pro as a cloud icap point. You stream to them and they give the audio to the stenographer and take in the closed captions adds about 1 second of latency. They will then re-broadcast out to facebook etc (rtmp endpoints). ($400 setup, $100 monthly fee + stenographers hourly cost)
    Last edited by stp_productions; 09-23-2019 at 09:07 PM.

This isn't closed captions, but might be a solution. NDI Transmit is no longer needed, you can use NDI Virtual Input in it's place and that is free.

https://webcaptioner.com/blog/2018/0...tek-tricaster/
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

I also was going to recommend Webcaptioner, which is FREE. Note this does not create closed-captions, rather they are "always on" being shown over the video. But it's free and works very well with a clear audio source, pretty accurate. For sports, where you are likely going to have scores on lower thirds, this may not be ideal (works great for board meetings though).

About the "Federal Requirements" - I attended a presentation on captioning and the presenter (a lawyer) said that there are exclusions if the closed-captioning requirement presents a hardship to the broadcaster. Meaning if you don't have the budget for closed-captioning software/hardware costing thousands of dollars, you might be exempted from the requirement.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Thanks Kane, I actually looked into your video and this is what we'll go with for now, I'm just hoping we can move away from hardcoded captions in the future. I did get a little lost though at 10:27 where you used a downstream keyer. I'm new to the TriCaster so I wasn't sure how you created the overlay, and how you got it to stay on top while switching cameras. Could you walk me through that part?

Tricaster 460
    HD-SDI over coax
    JVC 890 x 2
    Panasonic 370 x 1

Quote Originally Posted by SchafferAndrew View Post
    Thanks Kane, I actually looked into your video and this is what we'll go with for now, I'm just hoping we can move away from hardcoded captions in the future. I did get a little lost though at 10:27 where you used a downstream keyer. I'm new to the TriCaster so I wasn't sure how you created the overlay, and how you got it to stay on top while switching cameras. Could you walk me through that part?
    Webcaptioner runs on another PC and you are going to bring that in via NDI, assigned as one of the input sources. For that selected input, you will apply the LiveMatte settings at the input to key out the green background. Then in one of the DSKs (to right of switcher panel in middle of screen), you will select your NDI source in the DSK source dropdown (default is GFX1 or GFX2). Now when you enable the DSK, the captions will be overlaid on whatever sources(s) are on the live switched Program. Further, within the DSK are controls for Edges (cropping) and Scaling and Positioning, to help dial in the size, look, and location of the captions.

Please watch some or all of these tutorial videos for steps I mentioned if not familiar with how to do them - https://www.newtek.com/support/certi...s/tcae-videos/

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera

Quote Originally Posted by Paris MkVI View Post
    Thanks for that link Paris! #11 and #12 seem to be what I heard about in the seminar, that if you are not making a bunch of money off your program, they are not going to force you to buy captioning gear, as that would create a financial hardship. The seminar I was at was for small public access/PEG channels as they seldom have any budget to speak of.

(11) Captioning expense in excess of 2% of gross revenues. No video programming provider shall be required to expend any money to caption any video programming if such expenditure would exceed 2% of the gross revenues received from that channel during the previous calendar year.

(12) Channels producing revenues of under $3,000,000. No video programming provider shall be required to expend any money to caption any channel of video programming producing annual gross revenues of less than $3,000,000 during the previous calendar year other than the obligation to pass through video programming already captioned when received pursuant to paragraph (c) of this section.
    Jeff Pulera

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    Thanks for that link Paris! #11 and #12 seem to be what I heard about in the seminar, that if you are not making a bunch of money off your program, they are not going to force you to buy captioning gear, as that would create a financial hardship. The seminar I was at was for small public access/PEG channels as they seldom have any budget to speak of.

(11) Captioning expense in excess of 2% of gross revenues. No video programming provider shall be required to expend any money to caption any video programming if such expenditure would exceed 2% of the gross revenues received from that channel during the previous calendar year.

(12) Channels producing revenues of under $3,000,000. No video programming provider shall be required to expend any money to caption any channel of video programming producing annual gross revenues of less than $3,000,000 during the previous calendar year other than the obligation to pass through video programming already captioned when received pursuant to paragraph (c) of this section.
    Unfortunately we are 100% required to provide captioning due to some of our funding sources. It's not an FCC requirement for us, it comes from elsewhere.

I recommend you look into EEG's new Falcon service.
    You stream to their server, they add live captions, and then redirect the stream with embedded closed captions to YouTube:
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/eegent-asse...Guide_v5.3.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    This isn't closed captions, but might be a solution. NDI Transmit is no longer needed, you can use NDI Virtual Input in it's place and that is free.

https://webcaptioner.com/blog/2018/0...tek-tricaster/
    Trying to use Web Captioner but hitting a road block. Have audio running out of Tricaster. Connected to proper channel for Virtual Input, selected Line Newtek NDI in Chrome, but Web Captioner still just listening. No results. I know Tricaster output is working because I tried connecting via Studio Monitor to same channel on same laptop and got it. Any thoughts?