Thread: 425 drive replacements

425 drive replacements

Hi Everyone,

I'm working with a 425 system and the performance has been very inconsistent. It seems to play most imported clips without issue, while replays from live capture seem to have issues playing back, stuttering to even freezing then catching up by fading frames at times. It has been used in a broadcast truck since 2014 so I'm leaning towards replacing 1 or both drives. In replacing a hard drive in the 425, does the system have to be restored to factory or can they be swapped out for new ones without too much down time? Do the drives just need to be formatted in Windows to be recognized by the 3play software?

Thanks

I have no experience with 3Play specifically, but I'm told a 3Play is really just a TriCaster with different software...and no one else has replied, so here goes!

On TriCasters without SSD, the C: and D: partitions are actually on the same physical hard drive. You could check this easily enough in Windows using Disk Management to look at how the drives/partitions are configured.

If you want to replace that System drive (having Windows and Newtek software installed on it), you would need to CLONE that drive via software first. One way to do this is to use the RESTORE/BACKUP function (and again, not sure if 3Play has the same backup option as TC) which allows you to create a USER BACKUP. Then physically replace internal drive with the newly-created backup. Don't quote me, but when creating the USER BACKUP, the new drive MUST be at least as big as the original drive being copied. I don't think it hurts to be larger, but cannot be smaller since both the C: and D: partitions get backed up.

Note that when replacing any 3.5" HDD in a Newtek box, you want something with specs of "7200 RPM, 64 MB cache, and SATA 6 Gb/s". This would include WD Caviar Black and Seagate Barracuda models for instance. Avoid anything with "Green" in the name, which favor power savings over performance.

When replacing a HDD that is video-storage only (not the OS drive) then simply use drive specs above, and format as NTFS using Windows and ready to use.

Again, I have not tried this on a 3Play but am providing this info in good faith that I believe it to be correct, but proceed at your own risk (with the OS drive - I have no reservations about a data drive replacement).

Thanks

Jeff