Newbie Member
    Next System now -
    LightWave 2020 Trial on HP Z440

Intel Xeon E5-1630 3.70 GH7
    32 GB RAM
    NVIDIA Quadro K2200

15m 12s

Quote Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
    I suspect this scene will need redoing before it can used as a LW2020 benchmark. The image you posted definitely does not look right compared with the earlier versions in LW2019.
    You are right. I was not expecting differences in the resulting images.

Did you expect you need to alter your scenes after upgrading to the next major release to get the same results?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	benchmark_z440.PNG 
Views:	30 
Size:	273.6 KB 
ID:	147477  

Quote Originally Posted by slacer View Post
    Next System now -
    LightWave 2020 Trial on HP Z440

Intel Xeon E5-1630 3.70 GH7
    32 GB RAM
    NVIDIA Quadro K2200

15m 12s

You are right. I was not expecting differences in the resulting images.

Did you expect you need to alter your scenes after upgrading to the next major release to get the same results?
    With a benchmark scene if there are significant changes to the way the renderer works, then yes I would expect I'd need a new benchmark scene for a new version of the software. While there haven't been a great many changes to the renderer in LW2020, they are very definitely significant ones that affect render times. So a new or at least revised benchmark scene is needed here.

P.S. Just ran the benchmark on this PC and it took 15Min 59s which is around 50% longer than it took using LW2019. So something is clearly not right.
    Last edited by Qexit; 04-26-2020 at 11:37 AM.
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

I got myself a new workstation... should update my signature with it when I get time to do so...

36.6 seconds... Threadripper 64 cores / 128 threads... I recorded a video of it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UGx...ature=youtu.be
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    I got myself a new workstation... should update my signature with it when I get time to do so...

36.6 seconds... Threadripper 64 cores / 128 threads... I recorded a video of it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UGx...ature=youtu.be
    I had a pretty good feeling about my 16 core Ryzen. Not anymore. Thanks.
    System info: CPU: Ryzen 9 3950X RAM: 32GB DDR4/3200MHz MB: Asus Prime X570-P GFX: Asus GTX 750 Ti / 2GB OS: Win10, LW2019x64

Quote Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
    With a benchmark scene if there are significant changes to the way the renderer works, then yes I would expect I'd need a new benchmark scene for a new version of the software. While there haven't been a great many changes to the renderer in LW2020, they are very definitely significant ones that affect render times. So a new or at least revised benchmark scene is needed here.

Right. The first obvious difference is that in 2020 you need to add a gradient backdrop and an Environmental Light. Then, as the Global Illumination model changed and there are other noise filter options etc, the render parameters should be changed.

I did that and managed to have what looked like the same image but with two distinct differences in two of the objects.

I checked and found that those objects are the ones with Subsurface Scattering. Principled BSDF changed and before there was a parameter called "Subsurface Color", now it's called "Subsurface Scattering" and behaves quite differently. I didn't manage to replicate the same effect, but I really didn't try it for long.
    _____
    /- /|/| 3D Animation and Special Effects

I find it very curious that my video of using the top end of CPUs, makes the people visiting my video do a thumbs down.
    I mean... they are essentially disliking all forms of CPU renderingn, no matter what renderengine you use. Which to me is a big wtf moment.

I mean... Without CPUs, we wouldnt even have computers that works.... LOL
    Cinematics Department
    -----
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

@ Cage - what was the cost of that setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    I find it very curious that my video of using the top end of CPUs, makes the people visiting my video do a thumbs down.
    I mean... they are essentially disliking all forms of CPU renderingn, no matter what renderengine you use. Which to me is a big wtf moment.

I mean... Without CPUs, we wouldnt even have computers that works.... LOL
    FWIW, when I checked out your video, the sound was very low, even when I made sure the video volume was cranked up and I smashed the Volume Up button on my MacBook.. maybe just my hardware . . .

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    @ Cage - what was the cost of that setup?
    84.000 SEK

I didn't build it myself, the company I ordered from did that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by paulk View Post
    FWIW, when I checked out your video, the sound was very low, even when I made sure the video volume was cranked up and I smashed the Volume Up button on my MacBook.. maybe just my hardware . . .
    Yeah... I didn't check the video before I uploaded it... my mic is superlow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by paulk View Post
    Yeah... I didn't check the video before I uploaded it... my mic is superlow.
    Cinematics Department
    -----
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

8558.71 usd
    6919.51 gbp

reminds me of the old sgi days

- - - Updated - - -

8558.71 usd
    6919.51 gbp

8558.71 usd
    6919.51 gbp

- - - Updated - - -

8558.71 usd
    6919.51 gbp

... which is ~ a grand less than what I paid last year for my system, to give things a bit of perspective, and perhaps a little check-up on ol' what's-his-face's law.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB DDR4-2666
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core (64 cores avail)

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VirtualFM View Post
    Right. The first obvious difference is that in 2020 you need to add a gradient backdrop and an Environmental Light. Then, as the Global Illumination model changed and there are other noise filter options etc, the render parameters should be changed.

I did that and managed to have what looked like the same image but with two distinct differences in two of the objects.

I checked and found that those objects are the ones with Subsurface Scattering. Principled BSDF changed and before there was a parameter called "Subsurface Color", now it's called "Subsurface Scattering" and behaves quite differently. I didn't manage to replicate the same effect, but I really didn't try it for long.
    Hi VirtualFM,
    Could you please share your modified scene for LW2020?

It was not even possible to see the complete scene in layout because two objects were only visible in wireframe mode.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VirtualFM View Post

Hi VirtualFM,
    Could you please share your modified scene for LW2020?

It was not even possible to see the complete scene in layout because two objects were only visible in wireframe mode.

Threadripper 3970x
    not touched any settings in bios etc

LW 2019.1.5 - 51.5 seconds
    LW 2020.0.1 - 130.2 seconds
    Last edited by gar26lw; 06-20-2020 at 08:28 AM.

Threadripper 3970x
    not touched any settings in bios etc

LW 2019.1.5 - 51.5 seconds
    LW 2020.1 - 130.2 seconds
    There is no 2020.1, only 2020.0.1

But you should use use 2020.0.2. That one has fixes/speedup optimizations comparing to 2020.0.1
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

no link in acc for that one only 2020.0.1

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast