Thread: TriCaster Mini and Birddog mini inputs freezing

Andrew Carlson

TriCaster Mini and Birddog mini inputs freezing

We've been using Birddog's mini encoders to get video from our gym and football field back to our studio. On almost every occasion* of using these, the video input will freeze and the only way to get it off the frozen frame is to exit the session on the TriCaster and come back. This presents a HUGE problem when you're trying to stream and event since you have to stop and then restart your stream. *This usually happens about an hour into the session...sometimes were done with the session before the frozen input frame)

-Audio is still working on these frozen inputs
    -I've tried changing the source (using a local source or even the "black" source) but these inputs will not come off that frozen frame/source
    -I've tried rebooting the bird-dog with no success of clearing the frozen frame...the audio will cut out on the bird dog reboot and (if I recall) will come back once the encoder is back up....still with the frozen input on the TriCaster
    -This has happened on TWO different bird dog devices at the same time (two camera angles both frozen)...not sure if they froze at the same time since it happened during pre-game set-up and was working on other things...we decided on to use one of bird-dog source thinking it might be a bandwidth issue....which I don't think is an issue)
    -Video frames are NOT frozen when looking at the source using the Bird Dog COMMS software
    -Video frames are NOT frozen when looking at the source using the NDI Studio Monitor
    -Other NDI sources do not freeze on us (Newtek NDI PTZ camera, and Newtek NDI Sparks (used wireless and wired)

We are running the most recent update to our AE3 HD-4 TriCaster 7-0-19080 and our Bird Dog encoders are updated with the 2.6 firmware

To me this appears to be an issue with the TriCaster and its compatibility with the Bird Dog encoders. The NDI HX devices seem to work fine. The video does not freeze with the Bird Dog encoder when viewed through the Bird Dog Comm (running at the same time) These things are pretty much useless until they are 100 reliable with the TriCaster .

Anybody else using these things??? Anybody else have issues??

I'd reach out to BirdDog. They passed on beta firmware that was to fix something similar to what you describe.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Andrew Carlson
    Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    I'd reach out to BirdDog. They passed on beta firmware that was to fix something similar to what you describe.
    Thank you! Yes, I sent a message to our NewTek rep and to Bird Dog as well. Our rep says they've seen the same issue and are running the 3.0 beta firmware with better results.