Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mac Virtual Input

Mac Virtual Input

Has anyone come up with a APP yet for Mac that will do a Virtual Input similar to NDI Transmit or Virtual Input?
    Todd Cochrane
    @geeknews
    [email protected]
    http://geeknewscentral.com

TriCaster: TC1 / 860 AE / Mini AE

Try this option: WebCam for NDI turns your iSight or WebCam into an NDI Powered professional IP Video Camera.
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/webcam...927?ls=1&mt=12

I think he is looking for the other way around. Not a webcam into NDI, but NDI into a virtual webcam.

I'm not aware of an application on OSX to do this.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

You're right i've tried it and it's the other way around.

Putting in my vote for this too, I wish there was an effective way to do this on the Mac. At the moment the way I'm getting around this is using a Windows virtual machine (I use Parallels personally), but unfortunately there's no way to share the Windows NDI Virtual Input "webcam" with the Mac host, so I have to use whatever application for communication inside the Windows VM environment.

There is CamTwist, which can create a virtual webcam, but so far it has only worked with Zoom for me, and I have not been impressed with the quality of its output (real-time captions w/chroma key overlaid my webcam input) Webcam footage with other effects seem to work ok though. Still, it's next to worthless in my book since it doesn't work with FaceTime or Skype on the Mac.

Continuing to quest for a tool to serve this function.

I'm also searching for this solution. Is there a reason NDITools won't support it?

Adding my vote for this too, would love to be able to use my NDI output from NDI as my cam input in Skype, like I can on Windows.

Also adding my vote to this. My current hackaround solution (which by no means would I recommend unless it is a very last resort) is to use Video Monitor to open whatever NDI feed I want to use as my webcam. Next open Camtwist and use the "Desktop +" option. Finally, select the "Confine to Application Window" and choose my Video Monitor window from the drop-down. Like I said a very hackaround solution but the two times I have had to use it it has done a sufficient job all things considered.

Newbie Member
    For those who are looking for this feature, I have found NDI Virtual Input for Mac available since like May 6.
    https://www.ndi.tv/tools/#download-tools

That makes an NDI from the Tricaster appear as a webcam on your Mac, and is advertised to work with Zoom, which it doesn't. We're pretty disappointed with that new relese.

It doesn't work with Zoom on the latest versions of macOS because of code signing, but you can "unsign" the Zoom app and it works fine:

Code:
    sudo codesign --remove-signature /Applications/zoom.us.app
    Run the above in a Terminal window and you should see NDI Video available in Zoom
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #1
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #2
    Video Nerd

I'm told that (in Catalina) this app supports most of the common conferencing apps, including Skype, Teams, Blue Jeans, Cisco WebEx, Chrome, Facebook Messenger Rooms ... but that, unfortunately, there were some obstacles involved in supporting Zoom.

I'm sorry if the copy on the downloads page makes it seem otherwise. Most of that page has been there for a while, and generally it describes the Windows version of NDI Tools. The MacOS version arrived a bit later and, although the two versions are distinguished in the downloads area at the bottom, Virtual Input is a very recent addition to the Mac version. So while the downloads boxes correctly list the different components included for both platforms, it doesn't appear that anyone took a close look to note relatively minor feature differentiation by platform.

This all said, I can tell you that the principal developer of the Mac version is (not surprisingly) a big Mac fan, and worked night and day through weekends and holidays for about three weeks to get this done for fellow Mac users who were likewise under stay-at-home orders. So, honestly, I think he deserves some thanks, despite the difficulty encountered with Zoom.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

It works on Zoom if you are running OSX 10.13, the code signing comes into play with OSX 10.14 and 10.15. The Zoom update (v5) with the signed code was released at the same time as the NDI Virtual Input on Mac was released.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    It works on Zoom if you are running OSX 10.13, the code signing comes into play with OSX 10.14 and 10.15. The Zoom update (v5) with the signed code was released at the same time as the NDI Virtual Input on Mac was released.
    For anyone arriving here disappointed, google it.

There is a macOS terminal command line instruction you can use to strip some of the over-zealous security from the Zoom app and this will then allow the Virtual Camera input to work.

Despite the setbacks in Zoom, this is an AMAZING update. @SBowie please tell the principle developer we are eternally grateful!

P.S. Unsigning the app via the code above works for Zoom 5.0. Thank you!
    Last edited by boyler; 05-21-2020 at 11:42 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast