Thread: Comp control from CS in AE3

Comp control from CS in AE3

I know that there have been a few changes to the Comp control and selection from the Control Surface in AE3.

I can't seem to get it to work.

I used to select the ME in the delegation group (ME 3in my case) and then the various LiveSet buttons would trigger the appropriate Comp with the animation between them.

Now, I'm at a loss. The only way I can seem to get a Comp to play out is from the UI with the ME selected, by going into the Comp panel. This is pretty inconvenient and takes a bit too long and isn't very friendly.

So, first, my question, is there a way to map back to the old CS layout and operation?

If not, can someone walk me through how it's supposed to work?

Thanks!

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

The way to control COMPS is AE3 is as follows.

First delegate the M/E you want to used with COMPS.

Then press and hold down the COMPS button on the control surface. On your 8000CS the COMP button is the '8' button found in M/E delegate area.

While you hold down the COMPS button, press the matching KEY row number of the COMP preset you want to select (1-16). The KEY row is the top most row on the upper stripe of the control surface. On your 8000CS, NET1 thru M/E1 on the KEY row are numbers 9 thru 16.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Yes, that procedure is what I thought I had done.

Now, given that this was an AE3 upgrade, and although everything else came across in the existing show profile, maybe I'll try this out with a new show.

But, even given that I do get it working, is there a way to go "back" to previous control surface mapping? Not the end of the world if the answer is no, BTW.

I'll post my results tomorrow when I have the chance to create a new show from scratch.

Thanks, Kane.

Fritz

You can remap the order of the program/preview buses, the other keys on the control surface cannot be remapped.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

OK, got this to work as you noted.

However, I noticed that it seems that sometimes a comp preset gets overwritten. If I miss the key row and hit a button from any other row, even while pressing the "recall" comp button, it seems to disrupt them entirely.

Moral: Be sure that you're pressing the correct button! ;-)

Thanks Kane!

Fritz

PS The "old" CS layout for this function was far superior. It just took one hand to recall a comp. Now, you have to have both hands occupied to do it. I do realize that there are some new functions mapped to the other buttons but, for my use, they are for the most part of no value for use from the control surface.

Quote Originally Posted by fgolman View Post
    OK, got this to work as you noted.

However, I noticed that it seems that sometimes a comp preset gets overwritten. If I miss the key row and hit a button from any other row, even while pressing the "recall" comp button, it seems to disrupt them entirely.

Moral: Be sure that you're pressing the correct button! ;-)

Thanks Kane!

Fritz

PS The "old" CS layout for this function was far superior. It just took one hand to recall a comp. Now, you have to have both hands occupied to do it. I do realize that there are some new functions mapped to the other buttons but, for my use, they are for the most part of no value for use from the control surface.
    Plus 1 for the old single button push for the comps/LIVE SET. I like the new set up buttons layout, however they are only useful for set up, for live operation I much preferred the old layout.

Quote Originally Posted by dtweek View Post
    Plus 1 for the old single button push for the comps/LIVE SET. I like the new set up buttons layout, however they are only useful for set up, for live operation I much preferred the old layout.
    Agreed about single-button push. Stuff like this and the changes to the camera PTZ presets - all introduced in V3 - make me wonder if anyone making these decisions on changes actually uses these machines in a fast-paced, live environment. We bought an X-keys pad that eliminated the comps recall and some of the other complexities introduced by V3, but that PTZ tab stuff is still a problem.

Anything that makes the operator rely on a keyboard or adds any extra steps/button pushes to execute a switch-command during a live show is BAD.

Quote Originally Posted by dhodlick View Post
    Agreed about single-button push. Stuff like this and the changes to the camera PTZ presets - all introduced in V3 - make me wonder if anyone making these decisions on changes actually uses these machines in a fast-paced, live environment. We bought an X-keys pad that eliminated the comps recall and some of the other complexities introduced by V3, but that PTZ tab stuff is still a problem.

Anything that makes the operator rely on a keyboard or adds any extra steps/button pushes to execute a switch-command during a live show is BAD.
    In the next major release there will be an enhancement that should resolve most PTZ tab issues. You will have the ability to display the PTZ (plus Pan & Scan and COMPS) presets in the multiview viewports. They will be visible all the time, ready to be clicked on by the mouse.
    Last edited by kanep; 10-01-2019 at 11:58 AM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

For what its worth (at least on TC1) you can press comp and spin knob A which will bring up the comps view in the interface and when you highlight the proper one you press knob a to select. I have found this easier to ensure I select the correct one (and not hit the wrong row which actually clears the comp instead of selecting it.

Quote Originally Posted by stp_productions View Post
    For what its worth (at least on TC1) you can press comp and spin knob A which will bring up the comps view in the interface and when you highlight the proper one you press knob a to select. I have found this easier to ensure I select the correct one (and not hit the wrong row which actually clears the comp instead of selecting it.
    Appreciate your input, but still nowhere near as fast as a single button push.

The latest generation of our control panels have LCDs across the switcher rows, which lets us use these rows extensively to provide access to and control over things like Comps, LiveGraphics presets, and more. This approach necessarily requires the use of qualifiers, which is why the prior generation boards - when running current gen software - take the same approach. The alternative would not only require us to do a lot of work, it would mean we could not provide nearly as much functionality.

I don't see this changing, frankly. If you can't abide using a qualifier, I recommend considering something like a Novation, touchscreen or custom LivePanel Builder page.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    The latest generation of our control panels have LCDs across the switcher rows, which lets us use these rows extensively to provide access to and control over things like Comps, LiveGraphics presets, and more. This approach necessarily requires the use of qualifiers, which is why the prior generation boards - when running current gen software - take the same approach. The alternative would not only require us to do a lot of work, it would mean we could not provide nearly as much functionality.

I don't see this changing, frankly. If you can't abide using a qualifier, I recommend considering something like a Novation, touchscreen or custom LivePanel Builder page.
    Use a top-line, $ix figure console and see how they perform and how fast they are compared to a TC control surface in AE3. Sure, they'll run circles around these machines, and they should, but there are things that are stupid-simple that those consoles do to make a TD's life easier and make the switch faster. Lots of these things have a place in the TC world. Take a Grass Valley Kayenne, for example. There are a lot of functions that can be 'latched' to a row of buttons based on the op's requirements, or perform a different function entirely based on a double-pop of the button. Latch the comp function to, say the ME delegate group, and now all those buttons execute comp recalls. Or, d-pop a number in the key-row on any bank to recall the corresponding comp. Seems to me that instead of making use of a qualifier - and mandating that across legacy products as well - you could simply add the option of a qualifier OR a d-pop on the keys to recall a comp. New console users wouldn't care because they'd use the qualifier. Old consoles would be taken care of because they'd use the d-pop. Truth be told, even the new consoles would probably make use of d-pops because they're much faster than using two hands for one command. Given my knowledge of coding for Windows, this would not be a huge lift on the programmer's side.

GVG does not own a patent on d-pops, either.