Thread: iPi Mocap Studio with Azure Kinect support

iPi Mocap Studio with Azure Kinect support

As some of you know, I've been a long time fan of iPi Mocap Studio for getting mocap data into LightWave. I've used this system to create vfx for a couple of feature films as well as animation for personal short film projects. I currently use the system with multiple Kinect 2 sensors, which works quite well for me but I'm always looking for something better.

Anyway, I just learned a few details about iPi Soft's support for multiple Azure Kinect sensors. From iPi Soft's forums:

...4 Azure Kinects will be supported with Pro edition, same as other depth sensors. We've successfully tested 3x Azure Kinects with a single gaming laptop. There still may be issues with USB extension cables or USB controllers.

In Wide FOV mode, a person can stand at 1-3m distance from Azure Kinect. That means a room of 3x3m is suitable to capture with 4x Azure Kinects if you place them in corners. Capture area will be about 2x2m.
    I think this feature is still considered 'experimental' but it does sound promising. What I love about the description is how small a space you can use it in. With my current multi-Kinect 2 setup, I can record mocap in my small-ish living room but when I'm recording for 360 degree coverage, it does get a little cramped. Azure Kinect's extra wide FOV appears to make much better use of available floor space.

Even though I'm not planning to retire my multiple Kinect 2 sensors yet, I'm keeping an eye on this development. Will post more info as I get it.

Here's the link to the thread at the iPi Soft forum:

http://forum.ipisoft.com/viewtopic.p...p=23202#p23202

And here's more info about the new Azure Kinect sensor:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azu...-specification

I wonder if Nevron Motion will be updated to support Azure Kinect?

Azure Kinect still appears to be available only to developers. I do hope that it becomes more commercially available.
    System:

i7-8086K / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM

sidenote, they should look into hand/finger capture...
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

You can purchase Azure Kinect, it's not just for 'developers'.

BTW, I had an opportunity to try two Azure Kinect sensors a few weeks ago. Sadly, because of my work and family schedule, I didn't feel I had the time to thoroughly test the devices, and had to turn down the offer. (Rats!)

But I've seen examples of what the sensors can do with iPi Mocap Studio 4 and it's very impressive. The data is noticeably cleaner than with previous sensors, including Kinect 2.

I have to admit, I'm sorely tempted to trade up my Kinect 2 sensors for Azure Kinect.

Sigh! Maybe next year.

It's not available where I live. Maybe the time I fly to America I'll try to purchase it then. Can it already be used with NevronMotion?
    System:

i7-8086K / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie2Strokes View Post
    It's not available where I live.
    Oh, yeah. Sorry, ATM, I believe it's available for purchase only in the US and China. Hopefully, that restriction will open up before too long.

Can it already be used with NevronMotion?
    I don't know but I'm going to guess not. Personally, I'd only be interested if they get it to work with multiple sensors, like iPi Mocap Studio does.

BTW, the latest version of iPi Mocap Studio now features a live preview. I haven't tried this feature yet but I'm guessing it's meant to show how the rig behaves before you do the actual capture. It sounds like the preview is live during capture too.

After capture, I imagine you will still want/need to apply the post tracking process to get the best quality mocap data onto your rig.

I'll post more info and tests when I can make the time.