Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: LightWave Importer for Unity

Yes I should have been more precise in indicating a paid solution for the MDD

This is import but not editing. Historically LightWave is (and ChronoSculpt) a very good solution for this.

Indeed is of interest to users of other software. There have already been topics on this in Unity. I think there was a solution at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Areyos Alektor View Post
    Yes I should have been more precise in indicating a paid solution for the MDD

This is import but not editing. Historically LightWave is (and ChronoSculpt) a very good solution for this.

Indeed is of interest to users of other software. There have already been topics on this in Unity. I think there was a solution at one time.
    I've been thinking more about this and have done a bit of research. A couple of things are blocking me from making progress and perhaps you (or anyone!) can help. I need 2 things:
    1. The specifications for the .mdd file. I've been unable to locate any on the internet as all the links to the original vendor are DEAD: http://www.ef9.com/ef9/PO1.5/LW/PointOven_lw.html
    2. A simple test model + .mdd file to deform it with. I could make one myself, of course, but it would take some time and if someone already has one ready to go that would be a great time saver.

MDD file format

The MDD file format is very simple and here is a brief description for TD's and developers who are interested in adding tools to a pipeline built around MDD.

The first thing to note is that the MDD file format is Motorola Big Endian byte order as opposed to the Intel Little Endian standard. So however you implement the structure below, you must come up with an algorithm to flip the bytes during file IO.

The data structure is like so:

typedef Struct{

int totalframes;

int totalPoints;

float *Times; //time for each frame

float **points[3];

}mddstruct;

and the data is written like so:

totalframes

totalPoints

Times

while(!totalframes)

{

while(!totalPoints)

{

write point[frame][point][axis];

point++;

}

frame++;

}

Very helpful, thanks!
    Now I just need some mdd data and an .lwo file to apply it to

I just made a simple example: a quadrangle-based sphere with SubPatch that undergoes deformation through an Effector.

Afterwards I can give you more complex examples if necessary.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Areyos Alektor; 09-17-2020 at 03:49 AM.

I just made a simple example: a quadrangle-based sphere with SubPatch that undergoes deformation through an Effector.

Afterwards I can give you more complex examples if necessary.
    Amazing! Thank you. I should have what I need now. Let's see how this goes....

It's a pleasure and we all have to gain

I made another example: a fractured cube that falls (Bullet) and breaks. Compared to the other example it is here directly triangle and there is no SubPatch but a much larger number of polygons. This brings changes in geometry and the way MDD is generated.

Fractured_Cube.zip

It's a pleasure and we all have to gain

I made another example: a fractured cube that falls (Bullet) and breaks. Compared to the other example it is here directly triangle and there is no SubPatch but a much larger number of polygons. This brings changes in geometry and the way MDD is generated.

Fractured_Cube.zip
    thanks. This is very helpful. I'm making progress - working on it when I have a an hour spare in the evenings. Hopefully I'll have something to show soon.

Quadrangle Products
    This is great, thanks for sharing!

cool, thanks

In the meantime, while I continue work on the MDD Deformer, I also found time yesterday to update the LWS Importer to version 1.27. It fixes a pretty significant bug that would affect users living in countries where the decimal separator character is not '.' and hence causes the import to throw a FormatException and completely fail! Argh!

Updates to both LWS Importer and LightWave Importer (which contains LWS Importer) have been approved by Unity.

That's good news, thank you!

Hi, thought I'd update you on the progress of the MDD Importer (name subject to change) with a quick video I just made:

The video shows the example MDDs imported, applied to meshes and playing in Unity. I'd say I'm 90% done on the code now for a v1 release. So that's most of the fun stuff done, now I have to write the docs, make a trailer, package it up etc.

It can be applied to any imported mesh, so an LWO should work equally as well as an FBX or an OBJ etc. One thing I might add in the future (but not for first release), is the ability for LWO Importer to recognise that you've got the MDD Importer asset and integrate nicely so mdd's can be applied directly in the LWO Importer Editor Inspector.

Anyway, I can think of loads of uses for this, and I'm pretty excited to get it out there. Hope you like it.

wow very nice! I didn't think I'd hear from you anytime soon.

I left a comment on the video. I have to find time to do an animation with Tafa. It exports MDD and as it is now offered for free it is a good point for importing MDD into Unity.

Good luck to achieve the rest

I have to find time to do an animation with Tafa. It exports MDD and as it is now offered for free it is a good point for importing MDD into Unity.

Good luck to achieve the rest
    Thanks! If you manage to, let me know and I'll test it out with the mdd importer. Would it be ok to use the current .mdds you sent me as part of the youtube trailer?
    Actually, would be great to have more mdds to demo the importer. If you or anyone has any they're happy to share for the trailer, send them over and I'll be sure to credit you.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast