Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: LightWave Importer for Unity

Yes I should have been more precise in indicating a paid solution for the MDD

This is import but not editing. Historically LightWave is (and ChronoSculpt) a very good solution for this.

Indeed is of interest to users of other software. There have already been topics on this in Unity. I think there was a solution at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Areyos Alektor View Post
    Yes I should have been more precise in indicating a paid solution for the MDD

This is import but not editing. Historically LightWave is (and ChronoSculpt) a very good solution for this.

Indeed is of interest to users of other software. There have already been topics on this in Unity. I think there was a solution at one time.
    I've been thinking more about this and have done a bit of research. A couple of things are blocking me from making progress and perhaps you (or anyone!) can help. I need 2 things:
    1. The specifications for the .mdd file. I've been unable to locate any on the internet as all the links to the original vendor are DEAD: http://www.ef9.com/ef9/PO1.5/LW/PointOven_lw.html
    2. A simple test model + .mdd file to deform it with. I could make one myself, of course, but it would take some time and if someone already has one ready to go that would be a great time saver.

MDD file format

The MDD file format is very simple and here is a brief description for TD's and developers who are interested in adding tools to a pipeline built around MDD.

The first thing to note is that the MDD file format is Motorola Big Endian byte order as opposed to the Intel Little Endian standard. So however you implement the structure below, you must come up with an algorithm to flip the bytes during file IO.

The data structure is like so:

typedef Struct{

int totalframes;

int totalPoints;

float *Times; //time for each frame

float **points[3];

}mddstruct;

and the data is written like so:

totalframes

totalPoints

Times

while(!totalframes)

{

while(!totalPoints)

{

write point[frame][point][axis];

point++;

}

frame++;

}
    ====================================
    Threadripper 3970X / 3 x RTX 2080ti / Windows 10 x64 / 256 Gb Ram / LW2020 / LW 2015 / Modo 14 / Maya 2020 / Max 2021

Very helpful, thanks!
    Now I just need some mdd data and an .lwo file to apply it to

I just made a simple example: a quadrangle-based sphere with SubPatch that undergoes deformation through an Effector.

Afterwards I can give you more complex examples if necessary.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Areyos Alektor; 09-17-2020 at 03:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Areyos Alektor View Post
    I just made a simple example: a quadrangle-based sphere with SubPatch that undergoes deformation through an Effector.

Afterwards I can give you more complex examples if necessary.
    Amazing! Thank you. I should have what I need now. Let's see how this goes....

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456