Thread: Still lookin for a way of Importing Lightwave Particles to Blender.

Still lookin for a way of Importing Lightwave Particles to Blender.

Until I have learn much more in particle behavior in blender, and I would also like to wrestle a tedious workflow approach of going from lw particles to blender fluids to lightwave vdb and Lw rendering (maybe)

The problem is that I havenīt found info or that anyone has managed to import lightwave particles to blender, so you actually could use them as the particle system that is also recognizable for the blender fluids.
    I can use dp mdd scan, but that will only bring in some kind of points that is some kind of geometry, but not editable, and itīs not a particle system that is recognized as such either, so it wonīt work with the blender fluids.
    You can save in either mdd, but that has no velocity etc and it is not particles, and you can save in xml, which seem to have particle data, but blender I donīt see how it could cope with that.

The blender particle system is bpy, not sure if there is an exporter to that.

Tried all kinds of scene exports, but no luck.

I think Oliver had a Pfx baker which I could use to create a simulation in Modo, export an alembic, then export that to LW as a pfx. You could always ask him.

That said, I think you're better off learning particles in Blender. Also, the particles are being redone and will probably be out next year (too soon for 2.81 as this Friday is feature lock for 2.81)

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    I think Oliver had a Pfx baker which I could use to create a simulation in Modo, export an alembic, then export that to LW as a pfx. You could always ask him.

That said, I think you're better off learning particles in Blender. Also, the particles are being redone and will probably be out next year (too soon for 2.81 as this Friday is feature lock for 2.81)
    Yes, I will soon take a deeper look at particles, not sure if it can replace the flexibility I feel (sometimes) with lw particles and itīs ease to set up, especially particle spawning from other particles, from collision object etc..I also prefer the default particle display in lightwave..and a lot more.

apart from learning the particles in blender and doing it all there, which I may be fine with...I still would like to test the whole workflow of doing a bullet sim with particles spawning, send to blender for the fluids, and and back again with the fluids to Lightwave VDB.
    The new VDB gas solver isnīt there yet to be effective, and TFD for lightwave I have dropped interest on completely.

Thanks for the heads up on particles being redone in blender.

I donīt follow you on the pfx baker though, neither alembic or pfx is something that reads the particle files in blender, blender can import alembic, and lightwave export alembic..but as it is I do not see it able to import any particles.

LightWave's alembic from what I recall isn't able to import a animated sequence of particles from Alembic, for me, it would only import the first frame (so you might see a single particle if that). When I used Olivers utility, I would export a particle sim from Modo via Alembic, throw that into the pfx baker of his which converted the particle sequence into a pfx file, and then import the pfx into Lightwave through the particles tab. So I didn't use the Alembic directly. I don't know how you would get a particle simulation into Blender from LW, that's why I said maybe ask Oliver how possible that would be.

I mean, maybe you're used to it but particles in LW haven't been updated in a long time. I think you'll find particles in Blender are way more flexible even before they're redone. You also have things like dynamic paint where you can use a particle simulation to either paint a surface, create rain drops, etc.... Particles can follow curves, use different types of force fields, or be moved by lattices. Then of course you have boids which is like a flocking system for particle motion with different behaviors you set. You can also convert your particles to curves, and curves are able to be rendered. Modo's particle system is pretty decent also which was why I was trying to get particles from Modo back into LW.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    LightWave's alembic from what I recall isn't able to import a animated sequence of particles from Alembic, for me, it would only import the first frame (so you might see a single particle if that). When I used Olivers utility, I would export a particle sim from Modo via Alembic, throw that into the pfx baker of his which converted the particle sequence into a pfx file, and then import the pfx into Lightwave through the particles tab. So I didn't use the Alembic directly. I don't know how you would get a particle simulation into Blender from LW, that's why I said maybe ask Oliver how possible that would be.

I mean, maybe you're used to it but particles in LW haven't been updated in a long time. I think you'll find particles in Blender are way more flexible even before they're redone. You also have things like dynamic paint where you can use a particle simulation to either paint a surface, create rain drops, etc.... Particles can follow curves, use different types of force fields, or be moved by lattices. Then of course you have boids which is like a flocking system for particle motion with different behaviors you set. You can also convert your particles to curves, and curves are able to be rendered. Modo's particle system is pretty decent also which was why I was trying to get particles from Modo back into LW.
    Thanks,
    I might poke on Oliver later.

Indeed, I know that the particle system in blender has some nifty stuff, like following curves..which is a bit different from animated wind path in lightwave, I tried it and itīs nice.
    However some basic stuff with particle spawning and collision is what I need to learn more of in blender.

I am still waiting for a decent weight paint function in Lightwave layout (no metamorphic isnīt good enough for it) and also the attach function for it rather than having to nodal workaround it.

almost four years ago I recorded this (do not know how long they have had it in blender), and we just recently got metamorphic..and yet no direct weight emission function..

It may be that I would drop my intentions of "trying" out various pipeline workflows ..to save me time and trouble, but for the moment it is still of interest.