Thread: Baking normals to polys

Baking normals to polys

I have a character model with normal maps. I would like to bake the normal map into actual polys, which would be a very high res mesh of course, so the model can be 3D printed. Do any of you know how this can be accomplished? I've been trying in 3D-Coat and it looks possible there I just haven't figured it out yet but I thought it should be possible in LW with Save Transformed or something too.
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    I have a character model with normal maps. I would like to bake the normal map into actual polys, which would be a very high res mesh of course, so the model can be 3D printed. Do any of you know how this can be accomplished? I've been trying in 3D-Coat and it looks possible there I just haven't figured it out yet but I thought it should be possible in LW with Save Transformed or something too.
    A way one can do this is convert the normal maps to displacement maps. Sub-D the model and place the displacement maps on the geometry. Then do a saved transformed. There might be shrinking but much better than not being able to do it at all.

-M
    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates - "I Drank What??"