Thread: NDI Routing freeze/delays

NDI Routing freeze/delays

We're using the NDI SDK Routing functions (NDIlib_routing_change etc.) to switch sources around, viewing with Studio Monitor 3.8.

The effect is that the audio switches within a couple of frames, but the video freezes for one second before switching.

I guess a lot of this is the nature of compressed video and i-frame frequency, but it's odd that the delay seems to be so consistent, even though the timing of the switch commands is hopefully unrelated to the i-frame positions.

Anything we can do to minimise the delay, or at least audio and video to switch in sync?

I can confirm the issue.
    The issue exists in the latest NDI SDK 4.0 RC as well.

It because of delay "feature" in NDI library send loop. Delay depends on destination port number and can be 0,1 or 2 seconds. During this delay sender discard all video frames to new client. Tricaster allocate port numbers that have 0 delay but regular NDI client library allocate ports that have 1 seconds delay. I have reported about this "feature" to NewTek about year ago but it still not changed.
    Last edited by ddv2005; 09-10-2019 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roddyp View Post
    Anything we can do to minimise the delay, or at least audio and video to switch in sync?
    Shoot me an email on [email protected], this is an issue we really should get resolved and has been there for some time.

Andrew

Thanks for the reply, Andrew. We're in the next hall to you (6.C19) so I'll try and drop by tomorrow. Aware you may have a busy schedule even though it's the last day.

Quote Originally Posted by roddyp View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Andrew. We're in the next hall to you (6.C19) so I'll try and drop by tomorrow. Aware you may have a busy schedule even though it's the last day.
    Unfortunately I already left the show I wish I'd managed to catch up to you in person.

Is there any news about this bug?

Quote Originally Posted by ORFAST View Post
    Is there any news about this bug?
    Send us an email at [email protected] and we can help work out how to solve this for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ACross View Post
    Send us an email at [email protected] and we can help work out how to solve this for you.
    Thanks, Andrew.

Hi Roddyp,
    This is Rene Yu who talked with you at your IBC booth. I'm still waiting for a NDI Router product who can switch the source instantly without any freeze/delays.
    I saw Andrew reply you. So I hope this problem could be solved soon.