Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fiber FX - tips and tricks

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    Wait. It's been a while since I used this so I made a quick test to check if I knew what I was talking about. Here's what I found:

In LightWave 2019, I can get the texture to appear with or without the option enabled, so now I'm not sure.

Attachment 145926

Sorry, don't have time to look into this at this time. Maybe tonight.
    According to my tests in lw 2019.1.2 it is not working anymore. Doesn´t matter if the box is checked or not the texture uv applied in the surface editor keeps rendering.
    Ground control to Major Tom

Ok, thanks for confirming this Maurocor. I hadn't checked this in 2019 before and I thought something was odd there.

Thank you for your replies.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

I wonder if this is a 'legacy' option, to enable old FiberFX setups in 2019?

I don't know, just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    I wonder if this is a 'legacy' option, to enable old FiberFX setups in 2019?

I don't know, just a thought.
    I think not. I opened old ffx works and this option doesn´t work.

hi,
    what are you guys' thoughts on Tip Transparency versus Fiber V ?

wrote some notes here >
    https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...87#post1578187
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Each has it's uses. I tend towards Fiber-V on a gradient on procedural fur, and tip transparency on hair with guides.

Something else I've discovered...
    1) Don't use Real World hair sizes. You will never get good coverage on large, furred surfaces otherwise. Use about 3-4 times larger.
    2) Try to have as few layers of FiberFX in a scene as possible. the vparms load/update/unload times start getting long enough to let you have time to make a sandwich.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Each has it's uses. I tend towards Fiber-V on a gradient on procedural fur, and tip transparency on hair with guides.
    Yeah, no ring to rule them all...  

2) Try to have as few layers of FiberFX in a scene as possible. the vparms load/update/unload times start getting long enough to let you have time to make a sandwich.
    Thanks, wil have to check this.  
    Also, FiberFX active in OpenGL slows things down.

Right now i'm testing a FiberFX animation, and the DaVinci Resolve DeNoiser
    a video DeNoiser looks to be a must for 3D animations.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    hi,
    what are you guys' thoughts on Tip Transparency versus Fiber V ?

wrote some notes here >
    https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...87#post1578187

Normally I use both. Fiber V to get some fiber vatiation and some tip transparency (about 20%). I like the softness of the fibers tip using tip transparency.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18Sept19a_krys_spirit_hall_web.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	146005
    An example of what I use FiberFX for. There are 5 layers (2 procedural Fur, 2 Long hair with guides, and the whiskers on the character on the right).

-I used my style combing tool to generate a style that's similar to Sasquatch's quick combing. I also did some manual editing of the style for the ears and cheek ruff on the one on the left.
    -Instead of using real world hair sizes (cat's tend towards 120-150um), I used a fiber size of 4 times that.
    -I used my estimator tool to give me a starting point for Density, Fibers per cluster, and Cluster Radius.
    (I have 3m fibers in each of the procedural fur layers. A little bit of kink, stray, and random length added. Length is controlled by UV Mapped texture (L) or Weight map (R)).
    -Guides were generated using various methods prior to my spline tools being authored.
    -Characters are rigged with Rhiggit2. The one on the left is my "Acid Test" character from the RH2 beta.
    -Lighting is direct, using area lights. Light samples are at 8, with grey shadow color (.13,.13,.13) to help reduce FiberFX noise.
    -Render time was 12m and change, using 10GB of memory, 2/10 camera samples @ 1280 x 960, then scaled down to 800 x 600.

I wonder, would there be a need/want for editing styles in modeler, considering all I had to go through to get the edits to stick...(I'll chalk it up to unfamiliarity with the appropriate ODTools scripts...)(Edit guides in Layout is good, but you can't do polygon selections in Layout, which makes large characters something of a pain to work with...)
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123