Thread: New UI design trend with monocromic icons

New UI design trend with monocromic icons

Is there somekind of a new trend in the UI design world now to minimize colors in the UI?

Well, I noticed after my update of wps office ..now wps office fusion...
    They took away the colors on most of the main icons, so save icon is no longer blue..just white and black, and load is no longer yellow..just black and white.

Then you have blender evee2.8 which has made many drop down icons black and white as well, I do not like it.

Then you have sketchup online version, same there...just monocromic icons, and you now have to purely read the icons shape to distinguish between other icons, I think it is horrible.

Pic?

I'm not sure if I'm seeing the same thing you are, but I never thought the UI for Blender was very exciting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 9.40.02 PM.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	145899

-Chilton

Yeah my Fitbit app just went the monochromatic route. I hate it.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Quote Originally Posted by ConjureBunny View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm seeing the same thing you are, but I never thought the UI for Blender was very exciting.

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 9.40.02 PM.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	145899

-Chilton
    I think it was, but I make a distinction between valuing it in general..and value it where it in fact is nice, I prefered the 2.79 color scheme as seen on the left side..rather than the newer 2.8 eevee color scheme, that said..they did a lot to improve the UI look and structure in 2.8, itīs just that some parts got a bit to cleaned up to the very basics, and as such it feels like they took a step back many many years in terms of UI look.

Now, I am not a big fan of bad icons shaped badly, and not a big fan of Icons with horrible colors either, but for instance in this add list in blender 2.79, the colors are there to seperate the icon shape from the text, and as such they are monochromic sort of within itīs icon image, but not in relation to the text label, as opposed to the blender 2.8..where it is all white, and your brain may struggle a bit with emmidiate local focus following either the text or interprete the icon.

Same goes with blender 2.8 selection mode icons, the new ones are horrible, just white and grey..no distinction between the type of properties such as orange highlight against blue gray object to distinguish between edge, point or face selections, I guess they did it all white and grey so it should be seen better in regards to that all hovering over menu labels are highlighted in blue, but I think they should have tried something else.

To note, color seperation with text against backgrounds or icons, in a way Lightwave has some uggly color defaults as well, like in the plugins edít menu, itīs pure black against a grey non saturated background, it is a bit hard to read the text properly for me, Modo did a change on that and provided a default light bluegray and black text which makes it much easier to look at, Ivé seen many screenshots where lightwave users have changed the UI to just that scheme, would be nice if it was recognized in default settings though.

Name:	blender UI color change.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	145901

Ditching color is a sensible trend in UX design. A very small array of color is reasonable in something like a traffic signal. However, when you load an application interface with dozens of differently colored elements, you lose distinction.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    ...the colors are there to seperate the icon shape from the text...
    Right. While maintaining a desaturated interface, they could have given the 2.8 icons a 50% shade to separate from the text.

However, I don't see too many icons in LightWave. If you want to tweak the color of LightWave's interface, check out this tool. https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...-Tool-for-LW10
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

You mean Truespace wasn't a sensible design!
    02oct19: Lightwave 2019.1 Build 3127, win10 x64, AMD Ryzen 1800+, 64 GB mem, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ti v436.48 (02oct19)

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Ditching color is a sensible trend in UX design. A very small array of color is reasonable in something like a traffic signal. However, when you load an application interface with dozens of differently colored elements, you lose distinction.

Right. While maintaining a desaturated interface, they could have given the 2.8 icons a 50% shade to separate from the text.

However, I don't see too many icons in LightWave. If you want to tweak the color of LightWave's interface, check out this tool. https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...-Tool-for-LW10
    I know about the tool, I have used it before, but not with 2019, I have too much to learn and do with that alone, and I donīt like to have to fiddle with a secondary plugin just to have the UI corrected, I strongly shout..Hey, that is something for the lightwave team to fix as soon as possible, nothing less will do..for me or for potentional customers...or they simply will pick a software that does this nicely such as blender...that is for the color adjustment on wireframe, UI, buttons and text etc...but not for organizing your tools and added plugins in menus, in that regard I prefer it the way lightwave does.

That UI tool has a free and a commercial version, for me..I have a hard time even accepting using the free one, so the commercial one is out of the question period..I am sure as hell not going to pay for extreme lack of native UI development.

Quote Originally Posted by jaf View Post
    You mean Truespace wasn't a sensible design!
    If you could organize them and have text on it as well, not sure..I think you maybe could change some things there...but the default icon presentation only was just too much, I wonder what kind of life Truespace has now? if some company has it under itīs wings, microsoft? and just resting in some archive?

A couple of months ago I saw a video from that guy Linus (tech tips & tech quickie) called dark mode everything (or something like that), then windows brought dark mode, MacOS (was is Mojave?) brought dark mode, even android is going that way too.

It looks like a trend to me and it reminds me how a couple of years ago every piece of software went from light gray to dark grey, even Lightwave!

As I said, it looks like a trend but maybe there's more to it, like maybe less damage to the eyes now that we're seem to be stuck to a screen all the time. Also in my case, I use windows and android with night light for that very reason and I love it!
    Dell XPS8700 Quad Core i7 [email protected] - 16 GB DDR3 - GeForce GTX 750ti - Windows 10

LW Watcher
    I think the idea of removing colour and going dark is to put the emphasis on the work area and not have colour and other embellishment from the user interface intrude on the working area. I suspect that part of this relates to how the brain interprets mixed colour scenarios (changing the way we see colours according to the colour mix being presented), so removing colour is making whatever we are working on as 'pure' as it can be.

On mobile devices, dark mode can reduce power consumption in addition to anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by speismonqui View Post
    It looks like a trend to me and it reminds me how a couple of years ago every piece of software went from light gray to dark grey, even Lightwave!

As I said, it looks like a trend but maybe there's more to it, like maybe less damage to the eyes now that we're seem to be stuck to a screen all the time. Also in my case, I use windows and android with night light for that very reason and I love it!
    I can understand that...I doubt a gentle subtle orange icon next to white labels will impact and have more strain on your eyes/brain than the actual problem of solving the seperation of the icon from the text in the first place,I am no Doctor in the area though.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I think the idea of removing colour and going dark is to put the emphasis on the work area and not have colour and other embellishment from the user interface intrude on the working area. I suspect that part of this relates to how the brain interprets mixed colour scenarios (changing the way we see colours according to the colour mix being presented), so removing colour is making whatever we are working on as 'pure' as it can be.

On mobile devices, dark mode can reduce power consumption in addition to anything else.
    Well a new color for each icon in a full rainbow spectrum, that would be insane and that for sure will lend you nausea, a completely different matter when it comes to a few colors in the same spectrum and also for seperation between text, imagine how modo UI icons would look like soon in the future..with all whitee icons agains a grey or slightly toned background.
    Take a look at the taskbar if you have windows, I fear the days when that becomes shape based white color icons only, no distinction between the icons in terms of color.

Now, lightwave has few icons, like the orbit, pan and zoom icons, or mazimize, now..these icons do not have text labels, ergo no need for color distinct seperation from any text, and the icons bythem self is so well known and different from eachother, they do not need anything else really.

For like WPS fusion office, I would prefer to have the save disc icon in blue, and a open folder in yellow, those icons are too close in shape and confuses me, had it been color I would have picked it up much faster.
    Same with outlook/hotmail..I hate the folder icon that is only black outline shape, rather than a yellow folder.
    Soon microsoft and windows explorer will probably remove the color from the folder icons in windows explorer interface as well...huh.

I will probably have to read up on UI interface design and approaches on that..I can not say it is bad design and trend for sure, only that I currently perceive it as bad design and trend for sure
    If anyone just happens to know a bit about that part with monochromic icons vs colors in UI design, and have a linkt to studies or research on it, please feel free to share the link.

I want the future to be a little more colorful anyway, just a bit....a bit awkward perhaps considering I almost always where black, and sometimes a bit grey.