Thread: throw and bounce

throw and bounce

Sorry for the basic question. I have to animate throwing of an object at a garbage can and have the object bounce off the can and fall to the floor. I've not done anything like this before. I have tried to keyframe the movement and "make it up" and it doesn't look very convincing. I'd like to have the system calculate a real bounce of and then bounce and roll around a bit as it hits the floor.

Any suggestions on what I should be exploring would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Heim View Post
    Sorry for the basic question. I have to animate throwing of an object at a garbage can and have the object bounce off the can and fall to the floor. I've not done anything like this before. I have tried to keyframe the movement and "make it up" and it doesn't look very convincing. I'd like to have the system calculate a real bounce of and then bounce and roll around a bit as it hits the floor.

Any suggestions on what I should be exploring would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

Wayne
    Actually, that is a project for learning keyframing animation in a believable way, but then again..why not try the bullet engine.

Start with basics, which means make the can static, floor static, the ball a rigid body...move the ball away from the can initially to where it should start, add a null and make it a kinematic object, set proper size to the kinematic object so it adapts to collide decently in size, make the ball active state to start sleeping, so it starts moving only when the kinematic null hitīs it ..then just move the kinematic null and push the ball till you see it hit the can.

Later you should change the can from static to rigid, set to start by sleeping as well.

How it will look in the end as far as dynamics..is up to you since I have no clue on if you want it to hit the the edges of the can only, should it spin around on top of the can etc.

What Lightwave version do you use by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Actually, that is a project for learning keyframing animation in a believable way, but then again..why not try the bullet engine.

Start basicly, which means make the can static, floor static, the ball a rigid body...move the ball away from the can initially to where it should start, add a null and make it a kinematic object, set proper size to the kinematic object so it adapts to collide decently in size, make the ball active state to start sleeping, so it starts moving only when the kinematic null hitīs it ..then just move the kinematic null and push the ball till you see it hit the can.

Later you should change the can from static to rigid, set to start by sleeping as well.

How it will look in the end as far as dynamics..is up to you since I have no clue on if you want it to hit the the edges of the can only, should it spin around on top of the can etc.

What Lightwave version do you use by the way?
    Thanks Prometheus! I'm using 2019. I'll give it a go. Want it to bounce off the can and fall to the floor and finally settle out on the floor.

Wayne

Hereīs a simple setup, Lightwave 2019.1.1 scenefile.

To further note, the only keyframe is on the kinematic null, at frame 10 I moved it forward, and you can at that point when you move the null... see in almost realtime how the dynamic motion is turning out...to some degree.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Hereīs a simple setup, Lightwave 2019.1.1 scenefile.

To further note, the only keyframe is on the kinematic null, at frame 10 I moved it forward, and you can at that point when you move the null... see in almost realtime how the dynamic motion is turning out...to some degree.
    Thanks! I got it working.

W.