Thread: Attaching light flare to flocking particles

Attaching light flare to flocking particles

Hello.
    I'm setting up a scene with several spaceships using flocking and instances. Everything works as expected but I need lens flares to simulate the boosters, one per ship obviously. Because you can't parent lights to instances and lights can't be instanced either, I'm using DPkit particle info to make the flares follow the particles used to instance the ships. Using DPkit particle info, I can add an offset by pluging the position into a vector ADD node and give a value to move the light out of the spaceship. (by defaut the light takes It's position from the particle position and end up INSIDE the ship).
    NOW because the ships rotate along the path, the light ends up sometimes inside the ship anyway as It's offset is linearly based on the particle position but not on It's rotation. (that would'nt be the case if the light was PARENTED to the particle). I need to simulate a parenting constraint to the particle so that the light rotates together with the ships.
    Anybody has a suggestion?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parent flare to flocking.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	145888

This image is probably clearer with texts added.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parent flare to flocking.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	145889

Could you scrap the particle approach and make a booster surface of your ship that is luminous? ...adding bloom with an image filter?
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

I thought about It and tried but It's far from the flare's prestige. Plus I'd like to solve this issue... I found a way to solve It by parenting the flare to a null and use the nodal motion just like in the previous picture, only It gives me the control to move the light manually from the center.

Ok, using the HPB matrix allowed me to solve the problem. Connect the leading object position to an add vector, connect the leading object rotation to the HPB matrix, plug the forward output to a vector mult (to adjust the offset) and connect the result to the vector add, to add the rotation to the position. Then plug the add vector output into the nodal moton position input.