Thread: Lightwave 2019 render speed

Lightwave 2019 render speed

Yes, this is more of a Positive thread, I know a lot of people at the beginning were saying you just cant get the same out of 2018 in the same or faster than 2015, well maybe this might prove different (sets himself up for barge of criticism, wait for the haters LOL)
    stumbled on David Agüero's canyon scene download, and thought now they have added the procedural node this scene probably works exactly as before, (early on there were differences between some of the node versions of procedurals to their older versions)
    so I just loaded the scene as in the "make safe copy" and bam, the render is a hair away from identical, the only difference I think is either a slight difference in colour space or light brightness (and perhaps the 2018 version camera is cleaning more noise making it look very slightly smoother), but here is the thing, the 2015 took 3 min 20 sec on my machine, the 2019 took 1 min 34 sec, so almost identical results in over half the time!
    2015Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015.JPG 
Views:	206 
Size:	325.0 KB 
ID:	1458862019Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018.JPG 
Views:	192 
Size:	289.1 KB 
ID:	145887
    so this could be a good bench test comparison as he managed to accidently set up a scene that translates directly into 2019 with no loss (yes its not using new materials but the old argument was "I want the same look as 2015 without the slowness")
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Except nice lighting on 2015 version it seems like water in 2019 has no bump/displacement applied ?
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Except nice lighting on 2015 version it seems like water in 2019 has no bump/displacement applied ?
    I could forgive that because it looks more like a lake than a river.
    System:

i7-8086K / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM

Sure no problem there but bump/displacement is gonna affect render speed which is OP intention to show.
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Sure no problem there but bump/displacement is gonna affect render speed which is OP intention to show.
    you right, it added 1 second to the render
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,

2015 renderer is by far the best here, it has much better radiosity bouncing, even under water, bump on the water is just a minor taste detail, since you can add it or not by choice.

The lack of bounces in th 2019 image.. may explain why you get away with much faster rendertimes in 2019, but you canīt sell that image to me..I prefer the 2015 image, try increase rays or bounces for GI in 2019 and make sure you try to match that lighting and get back
    with the rendertimes when youré done.

I also wonder which Radiosity method you used in 2015, interpolated or not?

To keep in mind, for exterior landscape renders, both I and David often use a certain amount of diffuse sharpness, I am not sure if you kept the standard materials there in 2019, in such case the diffuse sharpness should be there as well, but if it was converted to PBR, it has no such options.

I rendered the scene with the Global Light Intensity set to 3.0 and it looks closer to the 2015 render rustythe1 posted.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canyon_001.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	145890
    John Gutwin
    Pepperchrome

Quote Originally Posted by jgutwin View Post
    I rendered the scene with the Global Light Intensity set to 3.0 and it looks closer to the 2015 render rustythe1 posted.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canyon_001.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	145890
    Yes it does look more closer, at least for the GI taking place on bouncing between the terrain parts, but not beneath the water, where you in the 2015 image can see much more light dispersed under water and illuminating the terrain surface as well, could be a water surface thing though, not sure if it is the same dielectric surface for the water, or if 2019 uses pbr and transmission length etc?...I am guessing it has something to do with the water surface though, and not so much the GI.
    I donīt have the time right now to try the scenes myself.

Where did David post the scene..? on youtube?
    I think I may have downloaded it sometime ago, but canīt recall where I put it

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    You can download the scene and some others from his website:

https://davidaguero.com.ar/downloads/
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Hey Prometheus. Have you watched RH's videos for the new render engine?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. (Fez) View Post
    Hey Prometheus. Have you watched RH's videos for the new render engine?
    If you mean any commercial one, nope...and I am not sure about the free ones, maybe just skimmed it...I have it on my to do list though very soon.
    Whatīs the premise by directing me to those? apart from it being a goldmine for general purpose... did I suggest something that is bad?

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Yes it does look more closer, at least for the GI taking place on bouncing between the terrain parts, but not beneath the water, where you in the 2015 image can see much more light dispersed under water and illuminating the terrain surface as well, could be a water surface thing though, not sure if it is the same dielectric surface for the water, or if 2019 uses pbr and transmission length etc?...I am guessing it has something to do with the water surface though, and not so much the GI.
    I donīt have the time right now to try the scenes myself.

Like I said in the original post the scene converted as is, I did no tweaking what so ever and pointed out the only difference is the way the light and colour space is treated, the water is down to slight difference in dielectric rendering and also the scene misses the bump map conversion due to the dielectric node, but all these are very minor tweaks that don't really affect any render time,
    the original scene is set to MC with only one bounce and all the settings come across the same (or their equivalent as many settings don't need to be as high to get the same result)
    but also to note things like ray recursion in the 2015 is set to 2, but as 2015 doesn't have separate recursions for the other features you can tweak the 2018 to run even faster, if I tweak all the settings to match the bounces of 2015 I actually get a render time identical to the first one in 1 min flat! the point of this was to show you now have a further 2 mins 20 to improve the render time past the 2015 version